GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,038
1 members and 1,037 guests
bjenzdarka5720

Old 09-10-2019, 03:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Chapter Suspended (on Bid Day)

On bid day, a panhellenic chapter at my school posted to their Instagram story (as many do), and there was a song playing that had the n-word in it. This 7 second clip was reposted to a personal Snapchat of a non-Greek person of color with the caption "WTF!?" Shortly after, the chapter was suspended pending investigation.

The school reprimanded the sorority members, notified all students of their suspension, and found alternative housing on campus for all sisters who lived in the house.

This chapter has the reputation of the most inclusive organization on campus, and everyone has been shocked at the news. But, rumors have already started flying in. The most recent? Members were in the basement chanting the n-word. Clearly a gross exaggeration of a mistake made by whoever was holding the aux.

I have to trust that the investigation (performed by the school and this chapter's national organization) will reveal the truth and these sisters will receive a more suitable punishment. But, I fear for their reputation. Their new members, who were primarily featured in the video, are at risk of dropping, and - as the video is not being shared - rumors are far outnumbering the truth.

The entire event has been kept under wraps and escaped news attention furthering exaggerating and prolonging the process (count your blessings), but I fear that our small, liberal arts campus will never forget or forgive.

All presidents of Greek organizations (IFC, Panhellenic, Pan-Hellenic, and Divine Nine) met at a school-sanctioned "Greek Summit" to discuss the events and actions taken by the school, and were in agreement that the entire situation is being blown out of proportion.

How can I help? What would you advise members to do? Is it possible to show support for the chapter and not align yourself with racist ideations? How can we "welcome" them back to campus when the investigation has ended?

- A Desperate Panhellenic Sister
Old 09-10-2019, 04:45 PM
GreekChat Member

When you say a "song was playing" what do you mean? Anyone who has listened to "modern" music these days would be shocked at the language used.
Old 09-10-2019, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator

At Oglethorpe?
Old 09-11-2019, 10:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
There will be no "solution" until society deems word use is not dictated by skin color. Until what's wrong for one is wrong for all. Until we decide what we will accept and will not; until we determine who we want to be.

There will be "she *should* or he *should*".
Old 09-11-2019, 11:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod D View Post
When you say a "song was playing" what do you mean? Anyone who has listened to "modern" music these days would be shocked at the language used.
I agree! Most of the more "modernized music" can be very foul, regardless of the genre. Even some of the "clean" versions of these songs are still not up to standard.