GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,333
Threads: 115,508
Welcome to our newest member, Jordandrose
» Online Users: 1,120
0 members and 1,120 guests
No Members online

Old 02-09-2016, 03:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you for all of the pictures you share with posts. It is great to see so many happy faces.

For a few years I have been noticing that almost every young woman in these group pictures has long hair. Is it because "nobody knows how to cut hair anymore?"

The young women look lovely.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-09-2016, 08:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumna2 View Post
Thank you for all of the pictures you share with posts. It is great to see so many happy faces.

For a few years I have been noticing that almost every young woman in these group pictures has long hair. Is it because "nobody knows how to cut hair anymore?"

The young women look lovely.
My daughter has a cute pixie cut...she donated her long hair to Locks of Love the summer after her sophomore year. Now she has to deal with the logistics of scheduling hair cuts during breaks, and whether they occur at the right intervals, etc. It was a lot easier to have long, straight hair! There are a few girls with short hair in her chapter, but not many!
Old 02-09-2016, 10:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
My daughter has a cute pixie cut...she donated her long hair to Locks of Love the summer after her sophomore year. Now she has to deal with the logistics of scheduling hair cuts during breaks, and whether they occur at the right intervals, etc. It was a lot easier to have long, straight hair! There are a few girls with short hair in her chapter, but not many!
Are there no salons where she goes to school? I thought she was in a decent-sized city.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:37 PM
GreekChat Member

It's a cute little college town -- I'm sure she could find a salon, but she loves our hair stylist at home (a sorority alumna who gets her life) and is loyal to her.
Old 02-10-2016, 03:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Are there no salons where she goes to school? I thought she was in a decent-sized city.
Quote:
It's a cute little college town -- I'm sure she could find a salon, but she loves our hair stylist at home (a sorority alumna who gets her life) and is loyal to her.
I had a graduated bob (or a-line haircut.. or whatever) for many years. It was great, especially while living in Houston. The high heat and humidity made it easy for me to want to keep my hair short and off the back of my neck.

However, it took me quite some time to find someone who knew how to cut my hair in that particular style (and yes, you become VERY loyal to them), when I found her it was $75/cut, and I had to get it done every 5-7 weeks. That would have been expensive as a college student! Plus, you'd have to take the time to find the right person, and you'd need a car to get you there.

Looking back on it, it's just so much easier to have long hair as a college student.

@~/~~~~
Old 02-10-2016, 10:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Fair enough. When I moved to current college town, it took me a while to find someone good. The upside is that even the most senior stylist at the fanciest place is still a bargain compared to Chicago.
Old 02-10-2016, 10:19 PM
GreekChat Member

The recolonizing Alpha Zeta chapter of Zeta Tau Alpha at The Ohio State University extended 194 bids tonight (one of which was accepted by a dear friend of mine)! Congratulations to all and welcome back to 'ole Columbus town, ZTA!
Old 02-11-2016, 03:50 PM

http://www.uatrav.com/news/article_1...51e74c174.html

Article about Alpha Gamma Delta and Delta Gamma's presentations to University of Arkansas Panhellenic.

“We definitely need more sororities,” said Vanessa Nimmo, a member of Alpha Chi Omega. “Greek Life is growing every year at the UofA, so we need more sororities so more girls rushing can receive bids."

^^This makes me laugh. "More girls rushing can receive bids"? Y'all have pledge classes in the mid-100s. I would think you would want more sororities to have smaller pledge classes and chapters that are not 300-400+ members.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 02-11-2016, 04:37 PM

I think what she's trying to say is that for some rushees, membership has reached a point of diminishing returns and they drop out because they don't want to be in chapters or pledge classes that large. It's one thing to read the numbers, it's another thing to go through it.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up North Dakota State University

Looks like Alpha Sigma Alpha and Delta Delta Delta presented at NDSU this week!
https://www.facebook.com/TriDeltaEO/...type=3&theater
Old 02-12-2016, 04:34 PM
GreekChat Member

A vote will be taken March 2 for TA&MU in College Station
Old 02-12-2016, 04:35 PM
GreekChat Member

A vote for what exactly? I thought they were officially open, but had never heard who was presenting
Old 02-12-2016, 07:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Who will be invited to colonize? That's all I know.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just interested View Post
A vote will be taken March 2 for TA&MU in College Station
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffins&Quills View Post
A vote for what exactly? I thought they were officially open, but had never heard who was presenting
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just interested View Post
Who will be invited to colonize? That's all I know.
Isn't this the campus where panhellenic was choosing between their three previous sororities? In this case, those would be Alpha Gamma Delta, Phi Mu and Alpha Phi.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:40 PM
GreekChat Member

That would make a little more sense, but like I said, I hadn't even heard anything about presentations, if those groups were interested, etc. It seems very hush hush, which just strikes me as odd. It seems like even students aren't aware of the details. If that is the case, good for them for giving previous groups the first opportunity to recolonize.