GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 1,276
0 members and 1,276 guests
No Members online

Old 01-27-2003, 04:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Question Rushing as an Upperclassman

Hello,
I'm new to this forum and I had a question for you ladies. I'm currently a junior at my school and I never rushed but have always thought about it. I did not rush my freshman year because I wasn't sure if I was going to transfer or not and then sophomore year I became an RA and was extremely busy with my job. I wanted to rush this year as Greek life is huge at my school but I found out that I could not because I am studying abroad in London and the semester begins in the middle of formal rush. Unfortunately, there is no rush in the fall or informal rush but just a formal rush at the end of January during Winter Term. I thought about COB-ing but most sororities don't do this because they all make quota and are happy with their pledges. So my question is would it be bad to rush as a senior? Do I have much of a chance? I've always been attracted to Greek Life and have some ideas about what sororities I am interested in but I feel like I might be laughed at because of my age. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-27-2003, 08:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to oceanphi01
This semester we took three juniors. If you know anyone in those organizations, it would be a lot easier to go through rush. A couple years ago, we had a junior go through formal recruitment. It all depends on when you want to become part of the Greek experience. If any of the chapters at your school are holding COB events, go out to them and introduce yourself.

Green, green the ivy twines...
Old 01-27-2003, 10:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to phisigduchesscv
Re: Rushing as an Upperclassman

Quote:
Originally posted by BebeKT10
Hello,
I'm new to this forum and I had a question for you ladies. I'm currently a junior at my school and I never rushed but have always thought about it. I did not rush my freshman year because I wasn't sure if I was going to transfer or not and then sophomore year I became an RA and was extremely busy with my job. I wanted to rush this year as Greek life is huge at my school but I found out that I could not because I am studying abroad in London and the semester begins in the middle of formal rush. Unfortunately, there is no rush in the fall or informal rush but just a formal rush at the end of January during Winter Term. I thought about COB-ing but most sororities don't do this because they all make quota and are happy with their pledges. So my question is would it be bad to rush as a senior? Do I have much of a chance? I've always been attracted to Greek Life and have some ideas about what sororities I am interested in but I feel like I might be laughed at because of my age. Does anyone have any suggestions?
It probably depends on your campus and the sororities you have to choose from. I'm a grad student and became a founder of my Phi Sigma Sigma chapter as a 32 year old grad student. I don't know how many sororities even allow grad students as active sisters. I would say talk to women in the sororities at your school, or the greek advisor, and see what they say about you rushing. Make sure you explain the whole situation to them and let them know why you want to join a sorority too.

IG - CKA
Vice Archon - So. LA County Alumnae Chapter
Old 01-27-2003, 12:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the input! I've definitely decided to talk to the director of Greek Life and see what she says about it. I do know some girls that are in some of the sororities and I actually know a lot of girls who are rushing now (I'm jealous!). I have an idea of which ones I would be interested in but none of these have COB events. In fact, I don't remember any sorority other than a newly formed colony that has done that here. I really wish they would have an informal fall rush like they do for fraternities but sorority life is much bigger on campus and it's much more regulated.
Old 01-27-2003, 12:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Check out the rush thread I started....

....called GOING THRU RUSH AS A SOPHOMORE OR JUNIOR....there are five pages of comments for you, BebeKT10....good luck and please keep us posted on what happens!

By the way, I have said it in other threads but I too rushed at Southern Cal (USC) as a junior -- way way way back in the mid 1970's (e.g. Vietnam-era) To this day, I don't think that my being a junior was as big a reason I was cut by some of the sororoties as was the fact that I was in Air Force ROTC! In some schools, being a junior is a definite disadvantage for you, but in other schools it will not make much difference at all. So I recommend that you do go thru rush!

Last edited by GPhiBLtColonel; 01-27-2003 at 12:35 PM.
Old 01-27-2003, 12:19 PM
UMgirl

Do it! I did and you never know what can happen
Old 01-27-2003, 08:10 PM

Send a message via AIM to maggieaxid
BebeKT- Do you go to Elon??? Your school sounds too much to be like elon than anything else. PM me if you need help! I am a graduate and former Recruitment chair from there.