GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,368
1 members and 2,367 guests
indygphib

Old 02-10-2006, 02:57 PM

Ohio University will report ALL hazing cases to campus police.

Hoosier posted this at the end of another thread, but I think it's worth comment and didn't want it to get lost there, so I'm copying it here:

http://thepost.baker.ohiou.edu/show_...N1&date=021006

New policy requires all hazing reported to police

by Brittany Hughes
For The Post
bh125705@ohiou.edu

Ohio University's Office of Student Affairs will now forward all hazing allegations to the OU Police Department, regardless of the complaint's vagueness or anonymity, said Dean of Students Terry Hogan.

Before this protocol change, the Office of Student Affairs was not required to forward vague and non-specific complaints to the police, Hogan said.

Since 1970, at least one U.S. college student has died per year in a hazing-related incident, according to a fact sheet produced by National Hazing Prevention Week, a campaign sponsored by college speaker agency CAMPUSPEAK.

DA comment:

As many of you know, this is my Alma Mater.

I know Terry Hogan vaguely -- in fact I watched last years Homecoming parade from the balcony outside his office. He is a good guy. He had the very unhappy duty of dealing with the parents of three Alpha Gams who died in a fire just off the Ohio State campus a couple of years ago.

From the article:

"However, the Interfraternity Council and the Women's Panhellenic Association did, issue a joint response to the protocol change yesterday, which stated they feel the protocol was not created to target greek life."

I agree, and I think this could be a positive step in understanding that hazing is not just a greek problem, but can include athletics, clubs, dorms, etc.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.

Last edited by DeltAlum; 02-10-2006 at 03:04 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-10-2006, 04:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Red face

Can it ever be said and posted, printed or reported on enough to point out the facts of what can happen?

The problem stems from the fact that On G C, We have a person like hoosier for one who will post these items to keep us all informed instead of just a few from each GLO.

Oh, I guess, this is not really a problem except for a few.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 02-10-2006, 04:25 PM
GreekChat Member

You're welcome to repost anything without my approval, especially if it's something good. (I do need your help to keep several of the anoying Moderators from reading my good stuff, though.)

Surely, one way to stop illegal drinking is to enforce the existing laws. Universities shouldn't shield their students from the consequences of their choices.

Some UGa (reeling from the death of SAE Lewis Fish) stats from 2005:

Binge drinking within past two weeks:
Nationwide: 48.5%
UGA: 60.6%

Missed class due to booze/drugs:
Nationwide: 33%
UGA: 53.4

Have driven under the influence:
Nationwide: 30.5%
UGA: 36%

Athens police chief: "Now, if we have underage students found with alcohol, we no longer give them citations. They are put in a paddy wagon and taken to jail."

UGa spokesman: "Now, we are ... arresting kids and taking them to jail."

The newspaper editorial concludes: "... the University has yet to ban legal drinkers (incl. football tailgaters and students) from carrying open containers on campus."

PS: Ever been to maybe my favorite expensive restaurant anywhere?

Buckhorn Exchange
Denver's oldest restaurant, rich in Colorado history, features a distinctive menu ... 1000 Osage Street Denver, Colorado, USA 303-534-9505 info@buckhorn.com ...
www.buckhorn.com/
Old 02-10-2006, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by hoosier
PS: Ever been to maybe my favorite expensive restaurant anywhere?

Buckhorn Exchange
Denver's oldest restaurant, rich in Colorado history, features a distinctive menu ... 1000 Osage Street Denver, Colorado, USA 303-534-9505 info@buckhorn.com ...
www.buckhorn.com/
Many times. Great game dishes and Navy Bean Soup. As long as you don't get unnerved by all of the animal heads watching you eat.

It also holds Colorado Liquor License #1 -- not that I've ever had a drink there...

There's a new Light Rail stop right in front of the place.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DeltAlum
Many times. Great game dishes and Navy Bean Soup. As long as you don't get unnerved by all of the animal heads watching you eat.

It also holds Colorado Liquor License #1 -- not that I've ever had a drink there...

There's a new Light Rail stop right in front of the place.
I drove a moving van one college summer, and a fraternity brother joined me for an August trip to CA (from IN). Coming back we were at a Denver truck stop, and asked somebody about a good restaurant, and he pointed us to the place.

Unforgetable place.

Surprised to find it still there, still very good, and very expensive when I returned 40 years later during my 2004 trip. Very friendly, and they pointed me to a fine seafood/cajun place downtown (on the street with the trolley) for lunch the next day.

(PS: Have been getting a lot of interest in the CU volleyball hazing emails. I think the TV is covering it.)