GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,402
3 members and 1,399 guests
flamboyanttree, Kevin, Xidelt
Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2002, 06:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations on pledging KKG!!! I hope you will treasure your Kappa membership as much as I have. I hope you have a great new member experience and I look forward to calling you sister!

Loyally,
Martha
House Board President
Epsilon Kappa Chapter - U. of South Carolina
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-27-2002, 07:45 AM

Send a message via AIM to EagleChick19
Congrats to you and Kappa Kappa Gamma!
Old 08-30-2002, 11:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KDLor
Re: Bid Day---sneak peek

Quote:
I'm a Kappa Kappa Gamma!!!!
CurlyGirl - I'm so happy for you. You will make KKG very proud!!! I'm sad that KD missed out on what a great person you are. I hope you are happy with your choice. Enjoy your time there. It will go so quickly.

Congratulations!

Lori
Old 08-30-2002, 02:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation what you've all been waiting for....

Hello everyone...
I am so sorry that it has taken me so long to post. I know that you have all been *anxiously* awaiting my story! hehe....

Classes started Monday, and I've been busy shelling out my life savings for books that they'll buy back at the end of the semester for $2!

Bid Day was great. All the girls and Pi Chis met in University Auditorium for a ceremony. We were all inducted in Panhellenic as a whole...and the best part was when we learned what sororities our Pi Chis were in. My Pi Chis were from: KD, Theta, ADPi, AEPhi, and AOPi. The night before we had all tried to guess what chapters they belonged to...and we only guessed one. (although she wouldn't admit it)

Afterwards all the girls walked from University to Norman Field. This was quite a sight to see! We all walked in our groups with our Pi Chi....crossing streets and blocking traffic. Everywhere we went, we got looks....it was pretty funny!

Norman Field was amazing! There is a parking garage right next to the field...and it was lined with boys from all over! There were people sitting in lawn chairs, videotaping the whole thing. The guys were there to watch the girls cry and run (and hopefully trip while they're at it). They were not there to share in our joy! lol...

We stood in circles with our groups. We had to wait until the Bid Cards arrived, so while we waited we sang songs and did Gator cheers. Then you heard a cheer...and all the computer Pi Chis (the ones in charge of everything related to computers...like the ranking, etc) were running to their groups. When our Pi Chi arrived (Amber--a KD), they split the cards between all our 5 Pi Chis, and started distributing them. Everyone was super nervous...and the Pi Chis kept shouting at us to keep our cards over our heads so that we couldn't peek. We then had to wait for all the groups to finish, even after our group was done...before opening the cards. Girls took pictures of their friends with their cards on their heads. And of course, as luck would have it....my camera broke right AFTER I took a group pic of my Pi Chis. When I tried to take a pic with the bid card....it started making funky noises. (but that's a whole other story!)

Everyone started yelling at us to rip open our cards....I opened mine, saw the K...and walked to my group. The Kappa girls aren't on sorority row, so they brought signs and waited for us on the field. Of course, I'm not a crier nor a runner....so I didn't participate in all the drama. But there were girls running, hugging their friends, and crying! While this was going on...the spectators had their cameras rolling! lol

We walked to the Kappa house...and met our 'Bid Day Buddies.' We got a name tag, bag with letters, tshirt, cup, pen, and flower. We took a pledge class photo...and a house photo. We ate dinner, met a bunch of girls, learned a bit more about the chapter...and then just hung out.

This entire week I've been having lunch and dinner at the house. I attended my first 'informal' chapter meeting on Monday. When the sisters do their ritual things, we go in the other room and get new member training.

Last night was our formal pledge ceremony. New Members wore white, and the sisters wore black. We also received our pledge pins and big sisters! My big sister is my bid day buddy--Kitty!

After the ceremony there was a candle lighting ceremony for one of the older sisters. She got engaged! I don't even know her, but I was sooo excited. By the time the candle got around the 3rd time...everyone was oohing and aahing...it was really cute. She then told the story of how it happened! lol

I'm really excited about everything...our new member retreat is in mid-September...and each day I meet more girls. They're all wonderful!

Anyway....I just wanted to share this with everyone. I've felt guilty all week for not being able to post!

Hope you've enjoyed my story!
Old 08-30-2002, 04:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KDHoney
Sounds like you are having the time of your life and I'm so glad for you!
Old 08-30-2002, 04:07 PM
GreekChat Member

CurlyGirly,

It sounds like you're having a blast with your new sisters! I'm so glad that you're enjoying your pledgeship so much already! Keep us posted on how you're doing!!

Greek Love,
dzrose93
Old 08-30-2002, 05:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: what you've all been waiting for....

Quote:
Originally posted by curlygirly

Anyway....I just wanted to share this with everyone. I've felt guilty all week for not being able to post!

Oh, you TORTURED all of us all week long... We were waiting patiently to hear all about it!!! Thanks for your note!

But now, I think you need to start a new thread: Curlygirly's New Member experience!!! Wahoo!

Thanks for sharing!!

P.S. You forgot to mention the "special delivery!"
Old 08-30-2002, 05:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Arrow SPECIAL DELIVERY

That's right!!!!!!!!!!

On my first day to lunch at the Kappa house, one of the sisters told me that I had a delivery for me in the TV room. I walked over there, thinking that there was some candy or a cute note from my Bid Day Buddy in my 'mailbox.'

My mailbox was empty...but on the table was a bouquet of flowers. I NEVER get flowers...so I almost walked away. Then one of the girls said "who sent them to you?"

I read the card, and it was from kdonline!!!! A bouquet of purple irises to congratulate me!!! She called the house and asked them what our flower is (being that she's a KD...she didn't know! hehe) Then called up a florist in Gainesville...and had them delivered to the house in my name!

Isn't that sweet?! As I was holding them after dinner (getting ready to walk out the door), EVERYONE asked me who they were from! They all thought it was soooooo sweet that my high school teacher (who they couldn't believe I still kept in touch with!) had gone through all the trouble to send me flowers.

The irises opened up the morning after, and they're not decorating my dorm room. I took a picture of them....so I will upload it later.
Old 08-30-2002, 05:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Kdonline, I think we can safely call you the Teacher of the Year! That was so sweet of you.
Old 08-30-2002, 05:34 PM

Awww, that is one of the sweetest things I've *ever* heard. How lucky you are to have such a special teacher in your life to this day (and kdonline, you rock!) I can only hope each of my kids have a teacher-student relationship that wonderful and lasting during their school years.

Christin
Old 08-30-2002, 05:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KDHoney
Of course she rocks, she's a KD...hehe
Old 08-30-2002, 06:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink aww shucks!

Thanks...I didn't do it to score points. I did it because I am so proud of Curlygirly!!
Plus, I remember what a thrill it was to receive flowers at The House and then take them back to The Dorm.

You know, it's a coincidence... I am still in touch with one of my high school teachers (who just retired last year - I actually taught with her at my old high school). She was probably the most influential woman (who wasn't a relative) in my life.

But guess what sorority she's in!? Kappa Kappa Gamma!

Heh - maybe CG will have a student, mentee or daughter who will go KD!
Old 08-30-2002, 06:34 PM
GreekChat Member

That just illustrates how important it is for sorority women to promote the Greek system in general and not trash-talk other GLOs. When we support each other, we all get stronger.
Old 05-27-2003, 01:17 PM
GreekChat Member

*bump*
Old 08-02-2005, 07:37 AM
Unregistered-

Formal recruitment season is approaching quickly.

That being said...

I would like to take a moment to bump this wonderful thread to ensure that future generations of PNMs can see that it is possible to be truthful without being disrespectful.

I know we often preach that discretion is key, and it still is -- which prompted the whole assigning of code names to sororities for each recruitment story.

Disclose as much or as little info you want, but if you're going to post something along the lines of "Oh, so tonight I visited the TARGET house (if it was a major national store chain theme she had going on) and like, their rush skit was so cute and I really really really liked their outfits..." ...then I'm going to be blunt and say that you shouldn't even bother posting at all.

In a perfect world, all recruitment threads should be like this. That's all I have to say.
Closed Thread