GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 765
3 members and 762 guests
LarryByday

Old 09-09-2012, 07:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Two Stories for the Price of One

Hey everyone! I went through recruitment last year, but never posted my story on here. I want to keep my school and my identity a secret, so I came up with code names. If you figure out the school, please don’t post it. I decided to do a Hunger Games themed thread. Make sure you read till the very end! My school had 8 sororities last year (and in no particular order):

Katniss
Peeta
Gale
Primrose
Haymitch
Effie
Cinna
Cato

Let me first off say that I have ALWAYS wanted to join a sorority ever since I was little. I never had a big sister so I wanted that sisterhood feel and I thought it was cool that everyone gets a Big. I am a lost little girl when it comes to makeup and what clothes are right to wear, so I was looking forward to having sisters to ask for advice and whatnot.

--------

The details might be a little hazy…but I’ll just try to get to the point with everything.

I go to a school where it is not competitive Greek Life. But if you’re not Greek, there is literally nothing to do on the weekends/weeknights. My school is a big commuter school; so most people go home on the weekends and it can get boring here. I did not have that luxury to just go home when I wanted to last year because I was 4 hours away from home and car-less. I remember asking one of the Pi Chis at Orientation Night, what happens if you don’t get a bid? She looked at me like I had 2 heads and said, “Everyone basically gets a bid. It is really rare not to. Most girls will drop out on their own without being cut.” That relaxed me.

Also side note, I had a GPA above a 4.0 in high school and was in a leadership role at my high school.

On Orientation Night, I met my Pi Chis and my group. Everyone was nice, but a few of the girls already knew what they wanted. I noticed the “tent talk” started early. My Pi Chis had a rule. They said that if you didn’t hear from them by 2am by phone call, then you were good and you made it to the next round.

The next days, we visited all the houses. I’ll never forget the first house that I visited was Effie. ALL of the girls at Effie were DROP-DEAD GORGEOUS. They had their makeup perfectly plastered on their face. Slender bodies and legs that could go on for miles. I had no idea what to expect going in to the house, but I was in complete awe. I talked about intramural sports and their Big/Little program here. After a while, time was up and we all left the house. After I got out, I was ready to drop out of recruitment. If all the sorority houses were like that, I would NEVER fit in.

The next house was Primrose. This house was a lot more relaxing and the tension was gone. I was able to relax and get comfortable enough to talk to the 6 other houses. I didn't feel that "click" though.

After that was Peeta. This was a tension-free house too. I remember this blonde girl that I talked to was SO nice and we talked about events at my school.

The next house we visited was Gale . This was a favorite among my group. All the girls started whispering to one another and fixing their makeup. I remember talking to the RA of the house, who was a sweet girl. Another girl I talked to was from my hometown. We talked about the mall and other things to do back home. I loved this house and felt like I fit in.

I don’t remember anything from Cinna to be honest. I had nothing bad to say about them though.

At Haymitch , the girls were just really pretty. This was another favorite among PNMs. This didn’t feel like my home though.

I walked into Cato next and I was absolutely BLOWN AWAY. I do not remember the conversations, but it was my favorite house up until that point.

The last house was Katniss. I was SO nervous in this house because of how beautifully decorated everything was. I talked to a sophomore there and she was one of the most outgoing girls there. She was extremely nice and made me feel at home. This was my new home. It had to be. I ranked my houses, then I went to sleep excited for the next day.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-09-2012, 07:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WhiteDaisy128
Can't wait to read the rest of this one! I know many of us have been waiting for it.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:59 AM
GreekChat Member

The next day you could have 6 out of 8. I got 5 back.

Primrose
Peeta
Cinna
Cato
Katniss

I was upset that I didn’t have a full schedule and I was sad to see Gale gone. But I had Cato and Katniss on my schedule so nothing else mattered.

I walked into Primrose and everyone I talked to I had nothing in common with. It made me sad. This girl that was rushing me talked about her love for country music and I said how I didn’t really care for it, but she kept going on and on about it. It was a turn off.

Next house was Peeta. Still nice girls!

Cinna . No opinion once again, but still nice girls.

Cato…I was star-struck going into this house because I wanted it so badly. The VP of Recruitment (I checked out the Cato booth before recruitment and met her there) recognized me and said hi to me and I was giddy with excitement. One of the girls that rushed me though was so not interested in talking to me and the conversation seemed forced. Besides that one girl, I still loved the house. And they were definitely on my top with Katniss.

Once again, blown away by Katniss. I loved their philanthropy and the event that they held to raise money.

The next day we could visit 4 houses. In no particular order I remember putting down.

1. Peeta
1. Katniss
1. Cato
1. Cinna
2. Primrose
3. (Blank)

I went to bed worried that I wouldn’t be able to choose between Katniss and Cato.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteDaisy128 View Post
Can't wait to read the rest of this one! I know many of us have been waiting for it.
Hahaha yeah sorry to keep you all in suspense! Wanted to make sure I officially had a bid before posting.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:07 AM
GreekChat Member

The next day my schedule was Katniss, Cinna, and Primrose. Okay, guess now I don’t have to choose between Katniss and Cato. Once again, I was sad that I didn’t have a full schedule of 4, but bid day was the next day…so I wasn’t too worried.

I went to Primrose and it was literally a silent rush. I felt out of place and to be honest, my heart wasn’t in it because I already fell in love with another house.

Katniss….once again, IN LOVE. That’s all I remember.

By now, I knew I needed to form an opinion on Cinna. The girls I talked to all week were nice, but a few of the rushers seemed like she didn’t even want to be at the house. It was weird. They were still nice girls, so I just didn’t let that bother me. I was putting all my eggs in the Katniss basket.

The next day was Pref/Bid Day. I couldn’t believe it! The next day I would have a home!!!!

My rankings were:

1. Katniss
1. Cinna
2. Primrose
3. (Blank)

I went to sleep with nerves…..
Old 09-09-2012, 09:35 AM
GreekChat Member

We are so thrilled for you! But be kind to us....post the sssstttooooooorrrryyyyy!!!!!
Old 09-09-2012, 09:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Yes -- please post!!!
Old 09-09-2012, 10:03 AM
GreekChat Member

yes please post quickly as I can't wait to hear this year's story!
Old 09-09-2012, 10:04 AM
GreekChat Member

RING RING RING.

I glanced at my phone. It was 1:57am. It was one of my Pi Chis. I remembered that 2am rule that they had. Oh no.

Me: Hello?
Pi Chi: Hi (my name)! I just want to let you know that you’ve been released from the process. You do not have to show up tomorrow. I’m sorry.
Me: Oh….okay.

And then I went back to sleep. I was half-asleep when she called. The next day I woke up at 9am and it hit me. I got in NO WHERE. I immediately started crying. I tried to call both of my Pi Chis, but they weren’t really interested in consoling a crying girl because it was the last day of rush and they had a million other things to do.

I couldn’t believe that I got released on the last day. I was angry and hurt.

My whole freshmen year last year consisted me watching with ENVY as my friends/roommates went off and did sorority things. I was completely heart broken. I got made fun of basically all year by a few boys who knew I went through recruitment and that I got released. If I went to a party, the first thing people would ask would be what sorority I was in. I would tell them I wasn’t in one. Automatically, not interested in talking to me. My friends (in sororities) used to comfort me, but I could tell they were just glad it didn’t happen to them. They all got their first choice with no problem. I cried a lot last year.

Oh and I even did Spring Rush (very informal recruitment) when it was offered. A handful of houses were doing it. Katniss being one of them I talked to SO MANY girls when I visited. I thought that was a good sign. Nope. No invite back.

But here’s the twist. A year has gone by. I’m a sophomore now and it is recruitment season. This is TAKE TWO of rush.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post
Wait wait wait.

This is your LAST YEAR'S story, right???

eta: oh, nevermind.
Lol yes last year's! Make sure to just keep reading.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:09 AM
GreekChat Member

The first night was orientation night. All around me were pretty PNMs. I started thinking wow, if I didn’t get in last year, how could I even compete with all these beautiful confident girls this year?

A Pi Chi near me was talking to some girls about how girls rarely not get bids. She said as long as you play by the rules and nicely, you have nothing to worry about. I turned red. My two Pi Chis basically said the same thing. They said, do not worry about anything. If you play fair, you will get a bid. Everyone has a home as long as you keep an open mind. If it was possible to disappear, I wanted to do it right then and there.

HOW IN THE WORLD COULD I GO THROUGH RECRUITMENT AGAIN?

Shaking off that feeling, I knew this year that I had to be confident. I could not act like I desperately wanted to get into ABC or XYZ sorority.

My friend at a different school who is a senior in a sorority (we shall call her Emily) said she would coach me through the process this year. She goes to a sorority that is not offered on my campus. The school she goes to is very big on Greek life. She told me no matter what, go through with an open mind. Trust the process and you will find a house that fits you, not how you fit in with the house. She was one of those success stories who did not get her first choice, but now she wouldn’t have it any other way with where she ended up. This made me feel more comfortable.

Recs at my school are not required whatsoever, but I got recs to 2 sororities (Gale and Katniss) this year thanks to the help of Emily. I would have gotten more, but these were all done like last minute and this was all she could help me with. Before recruitment officially started, I texted her my outfits for the week and things like that and she approved them, or added suggestions.

If it makes any difference, I am also noting that this year I’m going through recruitment with over a 3.5 college GPA. And I have a leadership role on campus. I knew that none of the sororities would release me because my grades weren’t high enough.

May the odd be ever in my favor.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishful View Post
RING RING RING.

I glanced at my phone. It was 1:57am. It was one of my Pi Chis. I remembered that 2am rule that they had. Oh no.

Me: Hello?
Pi Chi: Hi (my name)! I just want to let you know that you’ve been released from the process. You do not have to show up tomorrow. I’m sorry.
Me: Oh….okay.

And then I went back to sleep. I was half-asleep when she called. The next day I woke up at 9am and it hit me. I got in NO WHERE. I immediately started crying. I tried to call both of my Pi Chis, but they weren’t really interested in consoling a crying girl because it was the last day of rush and they had a million other things to do.

I couldn’t believe that I got released on the last day. I was angry and hurt.

My whole freshmen year last year consisted me watching with ENVY as my friends/roommates went off and did sorority things. I was completely heart broken. I got made fun of basically all year by a few boys who knew I went through recruitment and that I got released. If I went to a party, the first thing people would ask would be what sorority I was in. I would tell them I wasn’t in one. Automatically, not interested in talking to me. My friends (in sororities) used to comfort me, but I could tell they were just glad it didn’t happen to them. They all got their first choice with no problem. I cried a lot last year.

Oh and I even did Spring Rush (very informal recruitment) when it was offered. A handful of houses were doing it. Katniss being one of them I talked to SO MANY girls when I visited. I thought that was a good sign. Nope. No invite back.

But here’s the twist. A year has gone by. I’m a sophomore now and it is recruitment season. This is TAKE TWO of rush.
Pretty much all of the above makes me so mad! First your Pi Chi should have been way more attentive to you.. And uggg boys are dumb...

I think it is awesome that you gave Greek Life another try...
Old 09-09-2012, 10:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Round 1 we saw all 8 sororities.

Primrose – At this house it was 2 PNMs per 1 sister. The other PNM was kind of awkward and didn’t talk, so I thought that made it more in my favor. I could talk to the sisters with ease, but we didn’t have much in common.

Cato – One of my favorites from last year! Once again, 2 PNMs per 1 sister. SO AWKWARD. The other PNM finally started talking so I felt like she “outshined” me here. I’m nervous I won’t get invited back. I still love Cato.

Katniss – I had a rec for Katniss, so I was a little nervous going into their house. I loved Katniss last year, and I still love it now. I talked to 3 girls. All really nice.

Peeta – Really great group of girls, but they kept emphasizing for me to keep an “open mind” and to “trust the process.” They made it clear that this wasn’t their first choice house when they went through recruitment, but grew to love it. I thought that was weird how basically everyone I talked to said that.

Effie – Oh the intimidating girls from last year. This time I went into their house and felt SO COMFORTABLE. Granted all the girls looked beautiful, but my conversations flowed with ease.

Gale – I had a rec for this house too. My best friend and a handful of other good friends are in this sorority. I’m not sure if I fit in here, but I want to see if they invite me back tomorrow. I felt like I didn’t spend enough time in the house to get to know the girls and I want to give them a shot.

Cinna – Oh boy, I was wondering how this was going to be this time around. I entered their house and started talking to this one sister. She was incredibly nice. All of them were. I couldn’t believe how in love I was with this sorority just from today. One of the girls kept complimenting me. I don’t know if that’s a good or bad sign. As I was leaving, I accidentally blurted out “Hope to see you tomorrow.” Woops.

Haymitch – Didn’t really care for this sorority last year. LOVED them this year. I talked the sisters ears off and they didn’t really have to ask me any questions. Might have messed this up then.

At the end of the day I ranked (in no particular order unless noted):

1. Effie
1. Gale
1. Katniss
1. Cato
1. Cinna
1. Haymitch
2. Peeta
3. Primrose
Old 09-09-2012, 10:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowlady View Post
Pretty much all of the above makes me so mad! First your Pi Chi should have been way more attentive to you.. And uggg boys are dumb...

I think it is awesome that you gave Greek Life another try...
I know! My Pi Chis this year were AMAZING though, so it made up for the disaster of last year.

And thanks! I was determined to find my home away from home, and sisters.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:30 AM
GreekChat Member

I'll post more of my story later, but there's another twist that's going to be thrown in. Feel free to guess where I end up!