GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 688
3 members and 685 guests
LarryByday

Old 02-06-2002, 01:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to racey03
Angry im confused...

ok...i understand the suicide thing...but what i dont understand is this...how it works. i understand putting down only one sorority is dangerous, and limits your chances of getting into a sorority, but i dont get is how it works with if you put down three...say the two choices you had put down both bid on you to! does one come to you first and you decide if you want to say yes to that particular one or do you wait to see if the other one did...and does every sorority have to tellwho they bid on at the same time...so how does that work? AM i making any sense at all?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-06-2002, 01:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Ha ha ... sorry, it's not really a funny question, it's just that it's ridiculously complicated.

Here's what happens: Let's say that at Zesty University, quota is set at 10 for this rush. Each sorority makes up a list of girls it wants. It divides this list into two sets: One of ten girls, in no particular order, and then everyone else they want, in the order they want them.

Meanwhile, you've filled out your pref card, with ABC first, DE second and FGH third.

The powers that be then sit down with your card (and everyone else's) and the sorority lists. First, they look at everyone's first choices. Since your first choice is ABC, if you are on ABC's first list, they match you up. You'll get a bid from ABC. But let's say you're not. They sit your pref card aside.

So they then take a look back. Let's say Suzie was on ABC's and DE's first lists, but she matched up with DE. Obviously she can't get a bid from ABC, too. Thus they cross her name off the ABC list. They move the first girl from ABC's second list over onto the first. This means that there are always 10 girls on any sorority's first list, until they reach 10 bids, which is quota, at which point they are done.

Then they go back and look at your second choices. Ah-hah! You are now on DE's first list, so you'll get a bid from them.

This proceeds until everyone is matched ... or until no bids are left (and maybe there are a few rushees left that did something like suicided). You can see why suiciding is bad here; you don't make it into ABC, and they fill up, and you're out of luck.

Does that help?
Old 02-06-2002, 09:43 PM

Try doing a search on bid matching - there have been some very detailed explanations of it. FuzzieAlum gives a good summary, but another consideration is that if you suicide, you are ineligible to receive a bid via quota addition. (Which is another one of those complicated sorority rush things - I know someone's posted about it before.)