GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,467
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Bioxtrim
» Online Users: 1,464
0 members and 1,464 guests
No Members online

Old 07-22-2004, 06:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Grad Schools that don't ask for GRE scores

I'm graduating in December and I've been studying my butt off for the GRE's (so I can enroll in grad school in January). Well I found out yesterday that not all grad schools ask for GRE scores.

I was wondering if any of yall attended a grad school that did or did not ask for a GRE score. I still think that I am going to take the GRE's just to see where I stand but I would much rather go to a university that doesn't ask for one (it reduces a LOT of pressure) oh ps - I am a Sociology major if that helps any

thanks
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-22-2004, 07:04 PM
GreekChat Member

GRE scores

I wish they hadn't required them but they did! ( I went to App State)
Old 07-22-2004, 07:31 PM
GreekChat Member

I think it also depends on the program. I'm applying to Grad programs in Higher Ed and Univ. of Vermont and Michigan State don't require them. However, some programs require it if you want an assistantship.
Old 07-22-2004, 07:41 PM
Unregistered-

Some departments (like mine -- Poli Sci & Public Admin) at the University of Hawaii don't require scores, but they're encouraged.

I was admitted into the program based on my application, essays, interviews, and transcripts.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:37 PM
GreekChat Member

I took them, did VERY well, and then found out my program does not require them. The school allows the programs to decide, some do, some don't. BTW - Towson U. (Baltimore).
Old 07-22-2004, 08:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Johns Hopkins has two divisions that don't require GRE or GMAT scores. The school of business and Advanced Academic Programs don't require you to take tests to get in.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to deadbear80
Master's in Social Work

I don't know what you're trying to go into, but I'm doing a dual degree MSW/JD and the following MSW programs that I applied to did not require the GREs:

Washington University in St. Louis
Columbia University
University of Pennsylvania
Boston College
University of Michigan
Loyola University Chicago

Hope that helps!

Last edited by deadbear80; 07-27-2004 at 01:34 AM.
Old 07-22-2004, 09:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Most Canadian schools don't ask for GREs if you're interested in coming north of the border.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:00 PM
GreekChat Member

If you're doing a performance-based degree, like architecture, film, or fine arts--some programs do not require GREs. Keep in mind--if you're applying to the top program in your field, they require GRE because it's an easy way to rank students.
Old 07-23-2004, 12:41 PM
GreekChat Member

yall please read before posting i said i was a Sociology major and i'll be heading into a Masters program for that

the only reason i ask this is because i've heard from people that if you have good grades, some schools will let you bypass the GRE's

which hopefully is something the schools i am looking at will let me do (unless they dont require them). i've been studying for the GRE's everyday and i have never felt sooooo stupid before. they say it's stuff i should remember but when they're asking me to recall 10th grade geometry, something i havent done 6 years ago, it gets kind of tough

keep em coming!
Old 07-23-2004, 01:25 PM
GreekChat Member

You will probably need to just ask the schools that you are considering. If you're not sure which schools you are considering yet, check out a bunch of different ones and see what they say.

I'm guessing that the answers will be as varied as the schools/programs. Be aware that although the university's graduate school office says they require GRE scores, the actual PROGRAM may not. You need to find out from both parties and ask them which one overrules the other.

Good Luck on your search!

PsychTau
Old 07-23-2004, 03:04 PM
GreekChat Member

yeah i've been sending out emails to the grad admissions people about it......but from what i have been told, most colleges in NC don't ask for GRE scores unless you're going for your PhD
Old 07-23-2004, 03:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aphibeach
yeah i've been sending out emails to the grad admissions people about it......but from what i have been told, most colleges in NC don't ask for GRE scores unless you're going for your PhD
D*MN!!!! I knew I shoulda gone out of state for grad school!!!!

Actually I took the GRE after a night of drinks at the bar (and on a dare between me and this other guy.....to see who could score higher....) and did quite well. I had just barely started studying, but definitely hadn't learned everything in the book.

Don't stress too much over it. When you take it on the computer, if you get the question wrong it asks a question slightly easier, then when you get that one right it bumps the next question up a level. That way it will pretty much keep you at the level of questions that you can handle.

Have you been practicing on the computer?

PsychTau
Old 07-23-2004, 03:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Often, schools require the General GRE but not the GRE Subject Test. Now that was a killer! I did very well in English as an undergrad, even better in my Masters program, but I really flopped on the GRE in Literature Fortunately, most of the Ph.D. programs that I applied to didn't require the Literature test. In fact, the one in which I finally decided to enroll isn't even in the English department, so all of my cramming and stressing was for nothing

Erica
Order of the Rose recipient
Old 07-23-2004, 05:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Don't stress too much over it. When you take it on the computer, if you get the question wrong it asks a question slightly easier, then when you get that one right it bumps the next question up a level. That way it will pretty much keep you at the level of questions that you can handle.
yes but when you answer a question wrong, they take away points. if you answer an easier question, you don't get as many points as you would if you answered a harder question right. so technically, you want to get more harder questions right than easier questions.

i took one of the practice tests and it was HORRIBLE. i am just not a good test taker. i think i made like a 440 on the practice test. i feel like i've wasted 4 years of my college career because i don't ever remember learning some of this stuff and i'm a good student.