GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,459
Threads: 115,512
Welcome to our newest member, aolviatopz5295
» Online Users: 1,673
0 members and 1,673 guests
No Members online

Old 05-07-2008, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittanyalum View Post
I think Kevin's post was meant to be sarcastic (dripping with it, in fact).

And the danger of the statement above is that too quickly, these sentiments could turn into ridiculous things like boiling water being poured on pledges and disfiguring them for life.
Yes, that was sarcastic, but as far as the correlation between PhiGam's sort of hazing and the pouring of boiling water, I just don't see it. One most certainly does not lead to the other.

While both from a risk standpoint are bad things, of course, and both would for some result in serious bodily injury or possibly death, they just aren't related.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-07-2008, 11:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Yes, that was sarcastic, but as far as the correlation between PhiGam's sort of hazing and the pouring of boiling water, I just don't see it. One most certainly does not lead to the other.

While both from a risk standpoint are bad things, of course, and both would for some result in serious bodily injury or possibly death, they just aren't related.
I was trying to relate the impression that the false bravado that I think is too prevalent among guys who start upping the ante on "how tough" their pledging is/was/should be can get out of hand. Saying that guys would wish their pledging was "as easy" as just drinking 'til they drop leaves the door too wide open to suggestions that more = brand of cool/real pledging. Add alcohol and older brothers egging each other on, and clearly, anything can happen. I mean, really, how else do things escalate to the level where idiots will put a pot of boiling water on a stove with the intent to shower pledges with it? Reacting to tales of pledging with a "psht, that ain't nothin'" doesn't move organizations forward and protect the young men coming in to the greek system from boys who get too caught up in their own braggadocio.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittanyalum View Post
braggadocio.

I'm not being dismissive of the rest of what you said, but that really is a great word.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 05-07-2008, 11:34 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree because the pledges did not die and were not seriously hurt, so the sitution is not that bad....but i think its pretty dumb for making the pledges to drink mixed ketchup and hot sauce. There are better ways to unify a pledge class.

To my knowledge, Northwestern Lambda Phi Epsilon will be hosting their National Convention later this month. I honestly hope this situation will not cause too much of a negative effect.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impulse View Post
I agree because the pledges did not die and were not seriously hurt, so the sitution is not that bad....
wow....we might have to agree to disagree on this one.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
The problem with that is, some of them are ridiculous (the toilet paper) and it just makes everyone laugh at it...so even if you got caught "hazing", if it's something the general populace finds funny or not bad it's not going to hurt your numbers....it will more likely help them because it gives you PR.
it may be funny but would you want to go through it and risk the university reporting you to the police for theft (they could if they wanted to)? (btw, that toilet paper wasn't done by a frat or sorority)
Old 05-08-2008, 10:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
If they kicked complete idiots off of campuses, most schools would have to close.
Selective private schools like Northwestern aren't most schools. For every kid who's admitted, 3 or 4 are turned away. If the accusations are true, get these fools off campus and give those seats in the college to kids who deserve them more. Bright young people are lining up to get into schools like Northwestern.
________
WEB SHOWS

Last edited by Low C Sharp; 09-20-2011 at 05:00 PM.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:44 PM
GreekChat Member

its funny how this organization is getting all the bad rep. yet we know in the greek world that there is much more well known organizations that do much worse and everyone knows it yet they dont get shit for it. its just my opinion but i think because this organization is still young compared to other organizations that have been here for a long time (which i highly respect: especially ones who actually "EARN their letters and colors") they are more proned to get hates from others.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Hush your fool mouth.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:55 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos07 View Post
its funny how this organization is getting all the bad rep. yet we know in the greek world that there is much more well known organizations that do much worse and everyone knows it yet they dont get shit for it. its just my opinion but i think because this organization is still young compared to other organizations that have been here for a long time (which i highly respect: especially ones who actually "EARN their letters and colors") they are more proned to get hates from others.
If you spent time reading the message boards instead of spouting off right away, you'll see in this very forum that it's not just this fraternity getting trouble...mmkay?

Reading is fundamental.

And I think there's room for only one Chaos.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

??? what ???

Being on a campus or a National has nothing to do with it.

If not condoned then what?

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 05-14-2008, 11:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Sorry, I just cannot resist editing this --

This organization may be ........ more prone to being hated by others.
English 101 is still a requirement for college graduation.
Old 05-15-2008, 01:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nate2512
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbino View Post
Sorry, I just cannot resist editing this --

This organization may be ........ more prone to being hated by others.
English 101 is still a requirement for college graduation.
English 101 should be required to graduate high school. I took English 101/102 in high school, and I very much think that I generally do better on writing assignments, which due to a new initiative by the University to raise the quality of writing in discipline, is mandatory in ever class. As far as some GCers though, you would be surprised they made it to college with their writing skills.

Old 05-15-2008, 02:28 AM
GreekChat Member

I agree, I took Eng Comp 1101-1102 in HS and it helped me immensely. High school english classes (at least in FL) are a joke.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwu43 View Post
Oy, I knew it would be a matter of time before this was brought up here.
Look I'm not even gonna bother because you guys seem to have bought into everything this guy has written in his sensational article.

But if you want to see this thing from our side of it as well, look for our statement in response (it will be published on Monday). Also FYI, we're not alone here trying to defend ourselves, as MGC and NPHC chapters here have also got our back and supports us.

dude is your name really hooters? seriously?

LOLOL