GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,520
1 members and 2,519 guests
PrettyBoy

Old 06-02-2007, 11:51 AM
GreekChat Member

So is Sigma Chi now eligible to be off probation? I see in the earlier post that it was for the spring semester.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-02-2007, 01:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
So is Sigma Chi now eligible to be off probation? I see in the earlier post that it was for the spring semester.
That is my understating.
Old 06-02-2007, 04:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Fingers crossed!
Old 06-02-2007, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlueKappa View Post
I noticed that the Pike house still had random paint splotches on it from that Amanda Bynes movie they filmed there (how they could used that house as a movie set, I’ll never know!)
The exterior of the Pike house wasn't really used for Amanda's movie. Only the interior (which was fixed up a lil bit) was filmed...they used the exterior of a house kinda near where Briercliff & Osceola meet in Delaney Park (subdivision downtown south of 408) instead for the exterior shots of the sorority house.
Old 06-02-2007, 06:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphagamgirlie View Post
The exterior of the Pike house wasn't really used for Amanda's movie. Only the interior (which was fixed up a lil bit) was filmed...they used the exterior of a house kinda near where Briercliff & Osceola meet in Delaney Park (subdivision downtown south of 408) instead for the exterior shots of the sorority house.

Maybe it was peeling paint I saw? For all I know it could have been chunks of the house crumbling. There's no telling with that house!
Old 06-03-2007, 09:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Pi Kappa Phi is suspended until 2011 (I just read the online Central Florida Future). All of the current collegians were given alumni status. (Pi Kapp was not a housed fraternity on Greek Row at UCF).

I am so bummed. I was at their installation banquet-- they had such a strong colonization and were such a great group of guys when I was a student.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow... that is so sad. All the Pi Kapps I knew were great guys. Devastating.

How many fraternities are we going to lose? It seems like every time I turn around, another house has been suspended or had their charter pulled.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpiucf View Post
Pi Kappa Phi is suspended until 2011 (I just read the online Central Florida Future). All of the current collegians were given alumni status. (Pi Kapp was not a housed fraternity on Greek Row at UCF).

I am so bummed. I was at their installation banquet-- they had such a strong colonization and were such a great group of guys when I was a student.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlueKappa View Post
Wow... that is so sad. All the Pi Kapps I knew were great guys. Devastating.

How many fraternities are we going to lose? It seems like every time I turn around, another house has been suspended or had their charter pulled.
Was the suspension extended? According to the F&SL, 4/18/2007 Pi Kappa Phi was suspended until May 15, 2007.

And not just CFU fraternities have been suspended or on probation. Zeta Tau Alpha is on Restrictive Probation until the end of fall of 2007.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:37 AM
GreekChat Member

The Future (the school newspaper) reported the Pi Kapp suspension was thru 2011 and all of the members were given alumni status.

UCF sorority alumnae, are you thinking what I'm thinking? (I'm thinking... who's left to do homecoming?)
Old 06-04-2007, 11:40 AM

Quote:
UCF sorority alumnae, are you thinking what I'm thinking? (I'm thinking... who's left to do homecoming?)
KSig, LXA and ATO are still large chapters.

But I've also heard that a lot of the fraternities that were considered small chapters when we were in school are now large chapters. Phi Delt, Beta, DU, Theta Chi and a few others have grown a lot.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to UCFStefanie
A lot of the fraternities have grown. I think Greek Life still has a way of classifying which are large and which are small for Greek Week and Homecoming purposes but they have grown quiet a bit!
Old 06-04-2007, 12:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
The Future (the school newspaper) reported the Pi Kapp suspension was thru 2011 and all of the members were given alumni status.

Was the article in The Future after the FS&L report? Not saying that the article isn't correct, but it seems odd that Central Florida's Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life isn't up to date. And for what it is worth, they still have Pi Kappa Phi listed under IFC chapters. Granted, when you click on the chapter link it says PIKAPPUCF.COM WILL BE BACK SOON! And if you click on the star, it takes you the national website.

Question for Central Florida NPC folk. (Or anyone else, for that matter, who might know.) During recruitment, does Panhellenic (say in the recruitment guide) note which chapters are on probation and for how long? (type and reason too?) The reason I ask is that usually, most IFCs require a chapter on probation (usually some sort of social probation) to do so - i.e. make it known to potential pledges. And more often than not, it is published in the rush guide too.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:33 PM
GreekChat Member

The article is in the most recent issue of the paper.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSteven View Post
Was the article in The Future after the FS&L report? Not saying that the article isn't correct, but it seems odd that Central Florida's Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life isn't up to date. And for what it is worth, they still have Pi Kappa Phi listed under IFC chapters. Granted, when you click on the chapter link it says PIKAPPUCF.COM WILL BE BACK SOON! And if you click on the star, it takes you the national website.

Question for Central Florida NPC folk. (Or anyone else, for that matter, who might know.) During recruitment, does Panhellenic (say in the recruitment guide) note which chapters are on probation and for how long? (type and reason too?) The reason I ask is that usually, most IFCs require a chapter on probation (usually some sort of social probation) to do so - i.e. make it known to potential pledges. And more often than not, it is published in the rush guide too.
The article came out yesterday.

I think the web sites for the orgs and the Greek Life web sites should be taken with a grain of salt. Each year, those groups get all new webmasters, officers, etc, and updates in the summertime are rare, except for the dates for recruitment, perhaps.

None of the UCF sororities in the last 10 years has been on any kind of probation that would affect them in the fall from having a successful recruitment. This isn't to say the chapters haven't had internal bumps in the road or probationary terms to meet, but they have not been handed down in such a way that would impact their ability to recruit and retain quality members. I've never heard of a UCF sorority having to disclose anything of the sort to nonmembers or PNMs, for that matter. The matters are considered internal and handled as such. I know of chapters that have had social probations and such-- this is usually handled in the spring time. If any additional terms fall over into the fall term, they usually are in the form of having to hold workshops. It makes no sense to punish the new members for actions that came before their time.

Last edited by adpiucf; 06-04-2007 at 01:45 PM.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
The article came out yesterday.

I think the web sites for the orgs and the Greek Life web sites should be taken with a grain of salt. Each year, those groups get all new webmasters, officers, etc, and updates in the summertime are rare, except for the dates for recruitment, perhaps.

None of the UCF sororities in the last 10 years has been on any kind of probation that would affect them in the fall from having a successful recruitment. This isn't to say the chapters haven't had internal bumps in the road or probationary terms to meet, but they have not been handed down in such a way that would impact their ability to recruit and retain quality members. I've never heard of a UCF sorority having to disclose anything of the sort to nonmembers or PNMs, for that matter. The matters are considered internal and handled as such. I know of chapters that have had social probations and such-- this is usually handled in the spring time. If any additional terms fall over into the fall term, they usually are in the form of having to hold workshops. It makes no sense to punish the new members for actions that came before their time.
Makes sense now. "The Office of Student Conduct suspended Pi Kappa Phi fraternity until 2011 after the group held a social function while already on a previous suspension."

I agree about web sites being taken with a grain of salt. I've just been impressed with how UCF makes this information public and lists it on their website. And for the most part, being rather current as well.

Quote:
It makes no sense to punish the new members for actions that came before their time.
And I guess this is my point. Shouldn't PNMs know if a chapter is on probation? It just seems like it would be fair to all the PNMs to know what to expect socially their first semester. Especially since the probation is until the end of fall 2007.

"Restrictive Probation: The following organization is not permitted to host events involving alcohol. Any house parties, mixers, socials, events or recruitment activities must be alcohol-free (dry)."