GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,394
2 members and 1,392 guests
LaneSig

Old 02-02-2009, 11:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicateshades View Post
hazing works. it is not fun for the pledges at all, and while they're in "i-week", "hell week", or whatever period in which hazing occurs, they do not realize how well hazing actually does work. when you make a pledge go through hell, whatever ''hell'' may be, all the pledge has is his pledge bro's. hazing is not designed to be mean to new members for fun, it is designed to unite pledge bro's. it is designed for them to realize that no matter how $hitty a situation can get, they will always have each other. hazing works.

granted, i have heard methods of strongly uniting men together in brotherly bonds through non-hazing activities. however, i strongly believe that men unite stronger in worse situations.
I've said it before and I'll say it again: the "brotherhood" that has had the biggest impact on my life came from casual interactions with brothers, not getting my ass beat. If you can't bond with your brothers (pledge brothers or otherwise) without the aid of hazing, you're not trying hard enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
And what organization are you a member of?

I think it's funny how your post promotes hazing and you say that it works, yet you can't even type "shitty" in its full form. If you're gonna cuss, you may as well spell it out.

SHITTY.
LOL. I concur. Shitty. Shitty. Shitty.

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-04-2009, 09:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
And what organization are you a member of?
Given his screen name, I think Beta, with its official colors of "delicate shades of pink and blue," is a pretty safe bet.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Honestly, with my interactions with my friends who pledged various GLOs in various parts of the country I would say:

Sororities - Never works. Girls just do not bond over being hazed at all. Creates a lot of insecurity, cliques, drama and unhappiness.
Fraternities - Works in some cases. It really depends on the type of guys they attract. I think that my guy friends who are in more "Alpha Male" type chapters bonded, are extremely loyal to their house and have no regrets whatsoever. They liken it to the type of bonding that goes down in football "two-a-days". For fraternities with an artsier crowd it doesn't seem to work very well and a lot of resentment builds.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:16 PM
Banned

This is an intersetesting conversation of what and why's.

My Chapter was big and we thought we were above everything. We/my chapter figured they were to strong. Well, SWMO, now Missouri State University does not have my chapter. It was because of drugs and being stupid with hazing. I have no clue when we may come back if ever?

Last edited by chopper599; 02-06-2009 at 01:26 PM.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:04 PM
GreekChat Member

I went through society pledging which slightly differs from greek pledging, but they did haze us to some extremes. Part of some rituals entailed being called out and pledged in front of your pledge class taking punishiment for their actions. That i would say did bring us closer as a pledge class, but isolated us from the rest of the club and the student body.

But it did make for stronger bonds
Old 07-08-2009, 01:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue_BL13 View Post
I went through society pledging which slightly differs from greek pledging, but they did haze us to some extremes. Part of some rituals entailed being called out and pledged in front of your pledge class taking punishiment for their actions. That i would say did bring us closer as a pledge class, but isolated us from the rest of the club and the student body.

But it did make for stronger bonds
stronger bonds or rears that hurt like hell? if you keep up with the hazings across the country, many glos have had their chapters removed from many campuses and state laws passed. how good is that?
Old 07-09-2009, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

Secret societies don't have national offices which pull charters. The only real recourse is either through criminal prosecution or through the university's disciplinary process -- both of which are very rarely used in hazing cases involving non-greek organizations.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma