GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,594
0 members and 2,594 guests
No Members online

Old 06-01-2013, 03:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Too Old to Be Greek?

I am excited that at the age of 21 I am FINALLY enrolling in college! I'm going to a private college in my current city and plan to live in an on campus apartment. My question is am I too old for recruitment? I've researched a bit and the school does Spring formal recruitment right before the 2nd semester starts, meaning I will be two months shy of my 22nd birthday. Any insight from ladies who joined at an older age or who went to small private schools is greatly appreciated!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-01-2013, 06:49 AM

I pledged at 22 and it turned out to be one the best decisions I ever made. Now having said that, I was honest with myself. I knew the odds were stacked against me going in due to my age, class standing, and being a transfer student not knowing anyone. I was released pretty heavy from most chapters early on, but ended up with a full preference schedule with two chapters. Greek life at my alma mater is very different from Greek life at other schools in the area and I did not go to a private college.

While it was a good decision for me, being a 22 year old new member with a group of 18-19 year olds did have its challenges from a maturity standpoint. Their priorities are going to be a bit different than yours. I liked my new member class but I was closer to members who were older (I sought them out) because I was not all Frat-boy crazy and in a hurry to get to the next mixer/party. At 22 I was past all of that and was not a reason I was interested in Greek life. Also consider that if you are entering as a 22 year old Freshman and stay all four years, you will be 26 by the time you graduate. Are you going to be cool with continue to fulfill the obligations of sorority/Greek membership after the thrill of joining has worn off (probably after your first year)? As much as I loved my collegiate experience, by the time i graduated at 24, I was SO READY to move on and be done with that stage of my membership.

Do the chapters have facilities? Is there a live in requirement? My chapter had a live in requirement and my age did not matter, I was still expected to move on to the dorm floor for a year. Being 23/24 at the time living on a dorm floor with 18-21 year olds can be a challenge, or it was for me. Are you prepared for that possibility? Signing a lease for an off campus apartment won't matter either if they have a live in requirement and need to fill the facility.

I don't know your background information, GPA, reasons for waiting to go to college, etc. other than to tell you it COULD happen, but will depend on a lot of factors, and I would expect, as it was for me, to be released pretty heavy early in the process. I would prepare now with getting as many references as you can for each chapter on your campus regardless of the competitiveness of your recruitment, because you will need every advantage you can get. JOin some clubs this fall to get your name out there and meet people, don't slack academically, and prepare to answer questions about why you waited this long to attend college, and why you decided to go through recruitment at almost 22, regardless if the Greek system is traditional or not.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:05 PM
GreekChat Member

It really depends on what is the norm for your particular school. Are you coming in as a freshman or as an upperclassman? That will make a difference, too. Talk to people at your school to get a feel for the campus culture. Best of luck.
Old 06-01-2013, 03:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookWrm0320 View Post
I am excited that at the age of 21 I am FINALLY enrolling in college! I'm going to a private college in my current city and plan to live in an on campus apartment. My question is am I too old for recruitment? I've researched a bit and the school does Spring formal recruitment right before the 2nd semester starts, meaning I will be two months shy of my 22nd birthday. Any insight from ladies who joined at an older age or who went to small private schools is greatly appreciated!
It's not a private school, though I did attend one for a graduate degree but, I was 21 when I went through recruitment at a Big Ten university (because I served time in the military prior). It was great and I loved meeting all the lovely ladies. Every chapter had something interesting to offer but, I was so thankful to find my home. I encourage you to go through recruitment, even though I don't know much about your school. It is a great experience!