GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto

Old 08-13-2008, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemcat View Post
"I'm assuming your kids are in the under 12 range....call me crazy, but I don't think they would cotton to you blowing off their soccer games or helping them with homework to go to a sorority meeting.

And you are going back to school for your bachelor's degree, period...anyone who goes back to school to join a sorority does not have their priorities straight."

Quoted from 33girl

Darlin', you have missed the point entirely.
Would you have told her to forget going to school in the first place? I mean, perhaps she should be home, barefoot in the kitchen. She has already decided to go to school, which means she has managed her time with the kids' extracurriculars etc. I can't believe your snobbish remarks.

Tell you what, why don't you go back 40 years and go to school to do what women were "supposed" to do...nursing and teaching. That was it.

Also, joining a sorority allows for a social network that later translates in to professional networking after college. This is an advantage to anyone involved, especially someone who may have been out of the work force for a number of years while raising her children.

Go comb your hair and drink a beer. Leave the education to the mature ones who really DO have their priority straight.
You are the one who has missed the point entirely. I applaud people who go back to school to get a degree. It's no easy feat, especially when you have a family. 33girl's point was that sororities are an additional and substantial time commitment, one that would be too great for moms at most campuses.

The poster didn't even mention if she was going to school full time or part time; if she is working while attending school (and if so, full time or part time), if she is married (if not, does she have full or partial custody), the ages of her children, the type of campus she is attending, the type of sorority that interests her, etc. All of those things will determine her eligibility, chances of receiving a bid, and chances that joining a sorority would work for all parties involved (slim to none).
Old 08-13-2008, 05:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas City View Post
How curious! I know that it is not uncommon for those under 18 to attend college (my best friend turned 18 the summer before her sophomene year!) but do you know if birthdate information is distributed to each of the chapters during recruitment or if parental consent is a requirement when joining other (non-Greek) campus organizations?
I was initiated prior to my 18th birthday. My parents did not have to sign a consent for me to rush or get initiated. Of course, that was 1993...maybe things have changed.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 08-13-2008, 05:58 PM
Banned

"Mature? I'm 40 years old, you jackass. "

Umm..yeah, spoken like a mature woman there.

She mentioned wanting to join a sorority...and asked a bunch of sorority girls about it. To have you lay into her with out any more background on her situation does not reflect what I would expect from a 40 year old. So yeah, you sounded like a youngin'.

My response to her question was more inline with her question that your flippant attitude regarding what her priorities should be. As VIOLET later points out - in a sad attempt to back you up - we do not know her situation, whether she has a hubby, close family, a job or anything of the sort. Do not prejudge, lest you be judged yourself, darlin'.

Chemcat - Sockpuppet for no one. Too bad you think someone would have to put up a facade to face you and your fellow "sisters."

34. Single mother. Kicking ass in chemistry and mathematics. 3 kids UNDER THE AGE OF 12. And would want no sister of mine, to be anything like you.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
^^^Don't believe.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:02 PM

Congratulations, Darlin'
Old 08-13-2008, 06:03 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post
Congratulations, Darlin'
This reminds me TOO MUCH of REACH THE ARBONNE!!!
Old 08-13-2008, 06:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
My response to her question was more inline with her question that your flippant attitude regarding what her priorities should be. As VIOLET later points out - in a sad attempt to back you up - we do not know her situation, whether she has a hubby, close family, a job or anything of the sort. Do not prejudge, lest you be judged yourself, darlin'.
Let me expand on that a little. I pointed out those factors because there are a very limited "alignment of the stars" where I think a mother would be able to feasibly join a social sorority.

I'll assume, perhaps incorrectly, for the sake of argument, that the poster is interested in NPC membership.

If she were going to a commuter school with lots of non-traditional students, not working (or working less than 20 hours a week), which presumes she is married to someone who is providing, or living with family who is providing, has significant help in caring for her children, then MAYBE.

If she is going to a big flagship state school, working more than 20 hours a week, and not getting any help with caring for her children, it's not going to happen.

NPC sororities require potential members to be full time students, so if she's not a full time student, she won't even be eligible.

The makeup of the campus (ie how many non-traditional students) will determine how realistic it would be for her to be considered. She would not have a shot at a campus that caters to traditional students.

I just don't see how anyone could possibly manage class + homework + studying + work + sorority obligations + kids + household chores. Oh yeah, and at least 4 hours of sleep per night would be good.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:27 PM

This isn't likely to be a matter of time management. Let's just be blunt that unless this is a very non-traditional campus, a bunch of 18-21 year-olds aren't likely to want to hang out with a 30 year old, and they get to pick.

Last edited by irishpipes; 08-13-2008 at 06:33 PM.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post
This isn't likely to be a matter of time management. Let's just be blunt that unless this is a very non-tradiational campus, a bunch of 18-21 year-olds aren't likely to want to hang out with a 30 year old, and they get to pick.
Yep, exactly. We did have a 29 (I think) year old PNM on GC who joined an NPC at a small state school. But she wasn't a mom. And her case is pretty rare.

Last edited by violetpretty; 08-13-2008 at 06:31 PM.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:33 PM
GreekChat Member

A sockpuppet would know how to use the quote feature, wouldn't it?
Old 08-13-2008, 06:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS View Post
A sockpuppet would know how to use the quote feature, wouldn't it?
I actually thought about that too. But, maybe it's a sockpuppet that knows we would think that, and doesn't use the quote feature on purpose to look like a n00b.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:35 PM

A smart sockpuppet...
Old 08-13-2008, 06:35 PM
Banned

Irish is right on target with her last statement.

Which is why a referral to other groups is more of a productive statement than righting her off as having her priorities out of wack.

*sigh* You girls are sad.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
34. Single mother. Kicking ass in chemistry and mathematics. 3 kids UNDER THE AGE OF 12.
Quote:
Which is why a referral to other groups is more of a productive statement than righting her off as having her priorities out of wack.
Obviously not kicking ass in English.
Quote:
Irish is right on target with her last statement.
The one about you being a smart sock puppet?
Old 08-13-2008, 06:39 PM
Banned

About Irish's "last statement."

..not the one about the sockpuppet, mindyou...bout the reason why a 30 year old would not be accepted...