GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto

Old 10-31-2012, 09:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Expensive badges - worth it?

I'm a new member of an NPC sorority, and I was just wondering if you guys think its worth it to buy a prettier, more expensive badge, as opposed to a plain one? I know it depends on my budget (I won't go much higher than $150), but I'm just curious. Also, if I decided years down the road when I'm out of college that I want to upgrade, is that possible? Thanks!
Old 10-31-2012, 09:56 AM
GreekChat Member

It depends on your org. They may also change jewelers and slightly modify the design over time, as well, so I'd buy the pin that makes the most financial sense, but that will also be one you will enjoy.

No matter which pin you end up choosing, I highly recommend purchasing a pin guard with your chapter designation. The guard more securely fastens your pin to your clothing. (I learned this after I lost my first pin in the grass outside our chapter house when I was a sophomore!) In my sorority, you have to purchase the guard at the same time you order your pin. I'm not really sure why it can't be affixed later, but that's what I was told.

You don't have to get a diamond encrusted badge, but a little bling is fun!

Last edited by adpiucf; 10-31-2012 at 09:59 AM.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:57 AM

This depends entirely on you and what you want and how much you are willing to spend. If you want the basic badge now and are interested to see if you can upgrade it later, I'd contact your sorority's HQ or Executive Office to inquire or ask someone in your sorority.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Your first one will be the one you will always remember.

So, if you can afford it, go for the one that strikes your fancy!
Old 10-31-2012, 10:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Again, it depends on your sorority. Make sure you haven't already paid for a basic badge (depending on the org, some of your initial sorority fees may already include a basic badge) and you may just have to make up the difference if you decide to go with something fancier.

My sorority now offers sterling silver (sooo wish we had that option when I was in school) and it makes purchasing a badge a little easier on your budget, even with the extra bling!
Old 10-31-2012, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

I bought a plain badge when I was initiated because I could not make up my mind which jeweled badge I wanted. I also did not realize it at the time, but our tastes can change over time.

Years later, I decided to buy a silver badge with alternating pearls and turquoise, and I am so glad that I went the route that I did. I probably would not have chosen the pearl and turquoise badge at 18. I still absolutely love it 10 years later. Since ZTA's colors are turquoise blue and steel grey, my badge is especially special to me.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Does your sorority allow collegians to get bling? Mine doesn't (though maybe we are the only one?).
Old 10-31-2012, 11:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibis View Post
Your first one will be the one you will always remember.
So true. I cherish my small crown pearled badge with the badge guard loop at the top instead of the bottom. It is nothing fancy, and it is the most priceless (to me) badge I own. It carries a lot of memories, through some very rocky times as well as countless Founders Day celebrations. I was given a badge guard by a graduating senior that I'd advised, and it's attached.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
Years later, I decided to buy a silver badge with alternating pearls and turquoise, and I am so glad that I went the route that I did. I probably would not have chosen the pearl and turquoise badge at 18. I still absolutely love it 10 years later. Since ZTA's colors are turquoise blue and steel grey, my badge is especially special to me.
where is the smiley face for JEALOUS of silver and turquoise?

OP, you have so many choices! And there is no law that states that you can't own more than one badge.

Side note: I happened to obtain (for next to nothing) a white gold Theta badge that is 100% white gold, meaning that the black enamel top part is also white gold which is just not done; that part of our badge (the upper kite, as it were) is always black and gold. I think the seller thought it was a sterling silver badge, which would be a total anomaly. And NO I didn't get it on an auction site. Regardless, now I wonder if I should have turquoise set in where the pearls are. That might look fine, or really ugly!
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 10-31-2012, 11:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post
Side note: I happened to obtain (for next to nothing) a white gold Theta badge that is 100% white gold, meaning that the black enamel top part is also white gold which is just not done; that part of our badge (the upper kite, as it were) is always black and gold. I think the seller thought it was a sterling silver badge, which would be a total anomaly. And NO I didn't get it on an auction site. Regardless, now I wonder if I should have turquoise set in where the pearls are. That might look fine, or really ugly!
I think we need a picture of this!! I can't picture it and it sounds really interesting.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post
That sounds awesome!

My sister's ZTA badge is sterling silver set with turquoise - it's gorgeous! I think you'd like how a white gold and turquoise kite would look (very Arizona...)
Old 10-31-2012, 12:48 PM
GreekChat Member

The silver choices are nice options if your chapter allows it. Double check on what is the norm at your chapter. Several chapters here prefer every one has a similar badge. You don't want to end up having to buy another badge for recruitment if you are going to be an officer next year.

Some people that I know bought the simple badge as a collegian and later bought a new badge with more bling, but the only ones I know that REALLY had regrets about the badge they picked are the girls that bought the "mini" badges. Some NPC groups make a smaller version of the badge to encourage everyone to at least have a badge since the gold ones are getting so expensive. The "mini" ones are easier to lose and are harder to distinguish. They just don't look as nice.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:58 PM
GreekChat Member

I bought a plain badge when I was first initiated because I didn't have the money for an expensive badge. I bought a blinged out badge as an alumna.

I love my plain little pin. I was annoyed when the design of the plain KD pin was changed. The "chased border" version in silver or white gold has grown on me, though.

I need the jealous smilie face for silver and turquoise badges, too. Those ZTA pins are gorgeous!
Old 10-31-2012, 01:35 PM
GreekChat Member

When I was initiated you got your badge as part of the initiation/pledge fee and the only choice was plain or rose engraved. Afterward, you could buy a jeweled one and I got a white gold all diamond one. Many years later it was stolen in a burglary. Since it was insured (be thinking about that all of you with expensive ones) I replaced it. they didn't make the all diamond one in white gold at that time so I got yellow gold. I wear it in one of those circle mounts on a chain. Of course, they now offer the all diamond in white gold again! But I am happy with the yellow gold because it truly is a "golden anchor."
Old 10-31-2012, 01:43 PM
GreekChat Member

I can't imagine a mini-badge. Ours are so tiny to begin with!
Old 10-31-2012, 01:44 PM
GreekChat Member

I would like a little bling, but the thing is the plain ones are under $40, and the next price point is $150. I just wish there was something in between, or silver options.