GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 1,611
0 members and 1,611 guests
No Members online

Old 01-22-2010, 05:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Sororities in the UK

Hi,

I'm Siobhan. I'm currently taking a break during studying towards a psychology degree at university in the UK.

I've had quite alot of bed stuff that has happened to me during the past few months and have realised who my friends are (or lack of them to be quite honest!)

I was wondering if there are any sororities in the UK that anyone knows of. I would love to be able to join one as a way of meeting new people and putting some joy back into my life.

I would appriciate any information that anyone could give me

Thank you very much and I apologise if I've posted this in the wrong place!!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-22-2010, 05:55 PM
GreekChat Member

To the best of my knowledge, there isn't really a social Greek System in the UK like there is in Anglophone North America.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
Siobhan,
There are a few scattered chapters of a few select organizations in the UK, but they are not generally centralized at university like they are in the United States. Generally, students in the UK don't stay in halls of residence for the significant period of time that US students do, plus students tend to share flats with people they already know. In addition, the unions are very strong and offer a centralized location for students to meet, plus they do advocacy for the student body. Therefore, the niche for a sorority is very small, and frankly there isn't the cultural familiarity and/or drive for such things on most campuses (at least in Scotland). Additionally, I doubt the faculty would support such a thing...again this might be a remnant of the historic stuff we hang on to in the Scottish universities.

I say this not to discourage you, but rather to give you a realistic idea of what you're up against. Read lots of the threads on this board about starting sororities, extension, "wandering greeks" etc. Whatever you do, don't blindly approach a sorority about membership or extension, it's considered bad form. If you find a sorority that is in your area or university, then you need to be familiar with their forms of membership and entry before you even begin the process.

Cheers.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:01 PM
GreekChat Member

There aren't sororities or fraternities in UK universities like there are in the US. There are definitely members of various social greek organisations (especially among the postgrad, JYA and JSA populations) around, but they're usually involved in an alumnae/alumni capacity. At my postgrad uni, we had 2 TriSigmas, 1 KA Order, 1 SAE, 1 AXO, 1 Theta, and so forth (and those were just the ones I knew).

That's not to say that there aren't organisations at your university which are very similar to fraternities and sororities. At St Andrews, there was the Kate Kennedy Club for the boys, and the Lumsden Club for the girls. Both had membership selection early in the term, and were involved in a number of social and philanthropic events. Defintely have a look at what your Student Union offers as far as clubs that may offer a similar scope to what you're after with greek life.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:14 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't believe that there are any sororities or fraternities in the UK. My little is from there and transferred back to the UK at the end of her freshman year...she said her social circle is generally the people she knew from her high school (or the British equivalent) and the women from my chapter that happen to be abroad there for the semester.

However, I assume the student union at your school has groups that can also help you meet people. Depending on your age I believe that London has a Junior League chapter, and it can never hurt to volunteer. Good luck!
Old 01-24-2010, 08:14 AM
GreekChat Member

I am an Australian girl about to move to the UK and a new MAL of ESA.

I have been interested in starting up a chapter there actually! I too have been concerned as to whether they will support this in a collegiate sense but failing that the traditional way would offer a similar opportunity in the right area.
I will be moving down south Bournemouth /Lymington way.Not sure what area your situated in?
Anyway! it would be good to see!
Old 01-24-2010, 12:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaPhi88 View Post
I don't believe that there are any sororities or fraternities in the UK. My little is from there and transferred back to the UK at the end of her freshman year...she said her social circle is generally the people she knew from her high school (or the British equivalent) and the women from my chapter that happen to be abroad there for the semester.

However, I assume the student union at your school has groups that can also help you meet people. Depending on your age I believe that London has a Junior League chapter, and it can never hurt to volunteer. Good luck!
Zeta Psi has a chapter at Oxford.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Well that's a GREAT start! Let's see what I can do to give the greek system a go in UK.Only one way to truly find out! There just may be a niche for it yet undiscovered!
Old 01-28-2010, 07:03 PM
GreekChat Member

In fact i KNOW there is! Just got to market it the right way for the different outlook of the people, but the support would be well welcomed I believe!