GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,291
2 members and 1,289 guests
aangelasuasd942, naraht

Old 06-21-2000, 06:32 PM
Julie

Question How many times......

I've got a question for you guys....how many times do you think is too many to go thru formal rush? Just asking because I am contemplating going thru it again this fall, because previously it didn't work out for me. Does that hurt your chances if it is not your first time to go thru?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-21-2000, 06:49 PM
gloriajean

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Julie:
Does that hurt your chances if it is not your first time to go thru?
It is hard to say, not knowing your campus.
Can you share which campus you want to rush at?

Old 06-21-2000, 09:41 PM
Julie

It's a small campus, with only 4 sororities. There is a large greek population at school, probably close to 60%. I would rather not say the name on here, if that is okay/.
Old 06-21-2000, 11:39 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Julie -

I would evaluate why you may not have been placed last year - grades? activities? attitude? Going through Recruitment on a small campus is hard - I know, my campus only had 4 chapters, too.

If you are truly interested in sorority life, have good grades and have become active on campus or in the general community, my advice is 'go for it'. During the events be enthusiastic about Greek life in general, ask lots of questions - you are interviewing them as much as they are interviewing you. Stress how much you could add to the chapter (but don't beat folks over the head with it, LOL).

On a small campus, a second go-round shouldn't hurt you, especially if you've made the effort to meet GLO members and get to know them.

Good luck!

------------------
Fraternally,
Barbara
Zeta Tau Alpha Alumna

If you have to go around telling everyone you're in charge you're not much of a leader.

Old 06-22-2000, 11:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

I go to a school w/ only 1700 undergrads & just 5 sororities. the vast majority of rushees are freshmen, naturally. some girls who don't get the bid they wanted or who drop out of formal rush choose to try again during winter of their sophomore year. if this is what you choose to do, you have the best chance of making the cut if you have gained friends in the house that you want. are you well-acquainted and friendly with most of the sisters in your class? if they like you, and you often hang out w/ them, then they can pull for you during rush & they can probably see that you get in, depending on that particular sorority's selection proceedures. older girls who rush having connections in the house are very likely to get in, an upperclassman in another house told me, so some sororities do operate like this when choosing whether or not to take older pledges.

if, as a sophomore, you are unfamiliar with the sisters, you probably don't have a very good chance of getting a good bid. as a sophomore rushee, more is expected of you. you ought to be friendly with some of the sisters, since you've had more time on campus than have the freshman girls. if you haven't made friends w/ any of the sisters, then the reason why you didn't get a bid in previous years probably still stands.

you should understand that when a sorority takes on an upperclassman pledge, it is taking on an added financial burden. sorority finances are based on the assumption that each year the house meets rush quota and that each sister pays her dues for 4 full years. quota means that there is a limited number of bids that they can give out. when they extend a bid to an older girl, they forego giving that bid to someone who is a freshman and will pay all 4 years. if they extend a bid to you instead of to a freshman, they are losing at least a couple of years worth of dues.
Old 06-22-2000, 09:53 PM
Julie

To be quite honest, I am not for certain why I wasn't offered a bid last year by the sorority I was most interested in, felt most at home at, etc.. My grades are very good (I plan on attending law school), I have been involved in several activities (especially community service/volunteerism), and I have a very positive/friendly disposition. I knew some of the sisters in this suite, but none really well, but those I did know I was friendly with. The first night's rush party went well, but then on the second night, I was rushed by another sister whom I did not know as well..maybe that was a factor, who knows? I just wonder if I should try rush again or not, I would hate to waste my time, you know? Oh, something I should have cleared up in my first post: I will not be a sophomore this next semester, I will be a junior. Thanks for the input.