GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,612
4 members and 1,608 guests
*winter*, speedsters

Old 09-11-2015, 04:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Rerushing UCLA

Hi

I'm going into my sophomore year at UCLA. I did formal recruitment in the fall of last year (my freshman year). I went through the open houses, house tours and the entertainment round and then I dropped before pref night because I didn't feel like I really fit in well with the houses that called me back (there were only 2 anyways). I wanted to rush again the spring of my freshman year or COB but all but 1 (I believe) sorority had met their recruitment quota thing. I was thinking of rerushing this fall but I really haven't decided whether to go through with it or not... I know a couple of people in the houses that I liked last time and I've also become really involved on campus, will that help me get a bid?

I was wondering how sororities feel towards rerushing? I feel like it would a great experience to be apart of greek life and I always envy them whenever some of my friends in the houses talk about their events etc etc but at the same time theres a part of me thinking that if I they didn't like me enough to give a bid last time, they wouldn't this time around...

I'd appreciate any input/advice (especially if you go to UCLA), thanks!

Last edited by uclagirl123; 09-11-2015 at 04:56 PM.
Old 09-11-2015, 04:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm an Advisor at my chapter at UCLA. Let me look up my old posts with UCLA-specific information.

LAblondeGPhi can contribute great info since she went to UCLA.

Any other Bruins?

Adding the thread on UCLA upperclassmen recruitment: http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=149973

Last edited by ChioLu; 09-11-2015 at 05:05 PM.
Old 09-11-2015, 11:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Go through again but this time be open to any sorority who wants you. They want you and you'll have all the fun you would have at the other chapters. If the point is to be in a sorority, then you have to be open to being in any chapter.

Some sororities (as I understand it) have a once cut, always cut policy, so there may be some you will be cut from regardless of any other changes you've made.
Old 09-12-2015, 07:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Go through again, and think about anything that you can change that will be better than last year - conversation skills, enthusiasm (but not overly-enthusiastic, if you know what I mean), wardrobe, styling, attitude, etc. Involvement and knowing women in the chapters should help, as long as those women are willing to root for you.

I went to UCLA and was recruitment advisor from 2008-2011. During that time, sophomores were lumped into the upperclassman quota - ChioLu can confirm if that's still the case this year. If it is, that's a benefit to you - it means that you won't be competing against freshman, you'll be competing against other sophomores and juniors. I saw many sophomores go through recruitment successfully the second time. I obviously CANNOT speak for any of the chapters at UCLA now, but in general, my preference was to recruit sophomores over juniors, all other factors being equal.

Really think about what you can improve this time around, too. I think many freshman at UCLA go through recruitment without putting a lot of effort or forethought into the process (as evidenced by the deluge of applications in the 48 hours before recruitment starts). This doesn't mean that you need letters of recommendation (it's a little late for that now, anyway), but it does mean that you should take time getting ready every day, wear clothes that are flattering to you and positively reflect your style, get your hair cut/colored/whatever, etc. I think conversation can often be easier, because you're familiar with the majors and activities of the school, and you will likely have friends in common with many of the women in the chapters.

And keep an open mind!!!

Good luck!

Edit to clarify: re-reading my post, I realize it sounds superficial. Conversation and personality are the biggest factors, hands down, in your recruitment success. Excepting, of course, deal-breakers like a poor GPA or a sister you have a bad history with. I mention the superficial things because they can be kind of fast fixes, depending on the PNM. But definitely work on conversation if you can. Thank about how conversations went last year and try to identify what could have gone better. In the meantime, practice small-talk everywhere you can: in lines, with sales clerks, whatever.

Last edited by LAblondeGPhi; 09-13-2015 at 03:30 PM.
Old 09-12-2015, 06:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Definitely go through recruitment again. Read the thread that I linked above. It has lots of helpful information.

I've seen lots of sophomores have a successful second recruitments. Just improve on the things that might've been lacking last year. UpperClass is Soph, Jr, Sr., who have a separate quota.

In your conversations during parties, remember conversation is a two-way street. If it's stalling, ask questions about that sorority that you would like information about. Whether it's why they joined that chapter, what they do for their philanthropy, their favorite sisterhood/date party/Greek event from last year, or what's a weekly schedule of Greek/sorority events you will be attending. Keep an open mind. You may not click with 1 girl from a party on day one and think you don't want to return, then absolutely love all the women you talked to you on day three.

The numbers will probably be similar to last year with total new member quota in the high 60s and upper-class quota near the mid 20s. And that's for 12 chapters so do the math.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Recruitment has started, and I'm sure that you're exhausted with the schedule, in addition to all the tragedy that's happened this week. I hope you're having a successful recruitment, and that you'll come back to let us know how it turned out!
Old 09-28-2015, 01:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Pref Parties tonight at ucla!! would love to know how it's going for our original poster. Hope you find your letters tomorrow at Bid Day!
Old 09-29-2015, 03:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Crossing my fingers for you tonight!