GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 2,186
0 members and 2,186 guests
No Members online

Old 08-29-2008, 10:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LttleMsPrEp
Scheduling Conflict

I recently started a new job and got my schedule for the week of recruitment.. my manager knows that I plan on rushing and is trying the best he can to be lenient as far as scheduling but one of the days I'm scheduled to work conflicts with my recruitment schedule. It's informal rush so PNM's are able to attend as many or as few open houses and etc. as they wish but on the day I'm scheduled to work i'm missing about 4 possibly 5 parties. Three of those parties are the final open houses before their invite only parties. I tried fixing my schedule but there's no way to get out of it.

Is it safe to assume that if I'm not able to attend the second open house before invite only parties that it will decrease my chances of getting a bid? Part of me wants to think that the houses would be pretty understanding of the scheduling conflict but I'm not too sure. Recruitment hasn't even started yet so I guess that my best option is to just make the best impression that I can at the parties I am able to attend so that they'll remember me for future parties and talk to the houses whose party I'll miss so that they understand... but are there any other options?

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-30-2008, 01:37 AM
GreekChat Member

This will almost certainly affect you. If you become a sorority member, work will not be considered an excuse to miss a mandatory event...so if you were rushing my house, I would be inclined to think you weren't prepared to be in a sorority.

You can do what you want, but it will very likely hurt you greatly.
Old 08-30-2008, 11:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantASTic View Post
This will almost certainly affect you. If you become a sorority member, work will not be considered an excuse to miss a mandatory event...so if you were rushing my house, I would be inclined to think you weren't prepared to be in a sorority.

You can do what you want, but it will very likely hurt you greatly.
Excused events vary from chapter to chapter and sorority to sorority. When I was a collegiate, there were a few mandatory events such as ritual and business meetings that would not be excused for work but the greatest majority (probably 90%) could be excused and made up for with participation in other events. This will be something you should ask each chapter and consider when making your decision to join.
Old 08-30-2008, 12:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Economic times have changed. Back in the day few(er) sorority members had jobs and often it was because they simply wanted extra spending money. Parents typically paid for tuition, living expenses, sorority dues, etc. Therefore work was not considered a viable excuse to miss a mandatory chapter function.

However every year now we see more and more members attending school on scholarships, loans, grants, paying for it themselves, etc. Many members work because they have no other choice to pay their bills including chapter dues. We've realized that punishing with fines or some other way for missing a mandatory event due to work is counterproductive.It often leaves that member no choice but to turn in her pin. (We do expect them to prove they've made every effort to try to accomodate the sorority schedule.)

But that's not what the OP wants to know. She's interested in how missing parties due to work may affect her chances. There is no way we can know. It's up to each chapter.

Last edited by Zillini; 08-30-2008 at 12:08 PM.
Old 08-30-2008, 05:42 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't think it would hurt to let them know why you won't be at the next party.
Old 08-30-2008, 06:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LttleMsPrEp View Post
I recently started a new job and got my schedule for the week of recruitment.. my manager knows that I plan on rushing and is trying the best he can to be lenient as far as scheduling but one of the days I'm scheduled to work conflicts with my recruitment schedule. It's informal rush so PNM's are able to attend as many or as few open houses and etc. as they wish but on the day I'm scheduled to work i'm missing about 4 possibly 5 parties. Three of those parties are the final open houses before their invite only parties. I tried fixing my schedule but there's no way to get out of it.

Is it safe to assume that if I'm not able to attend the second open house before invite only parties that it will decrease my chances of getting a bid? Part of me wants to think that the houses would be pretty understanding of the scheduling conflict but I'm not too sure. Recruitment hasn't even started yet so I guess that my best option is to just make the best impression that I can at the parties I am able to attend so that they'll remember me for future parties and talk to the houses whose party I'll miss so that they understand... but are there any other options?
How many other parties are you attending? I think the sororities would be more lenient if you missed one day. I would suggest if there is another party the day before, you let the sorority sisters know that you're gonna miss the next party because you had to work & weren't able to get it off.

I know where fantASTic is going, but I have to disagree with her. Missing a party in an informal recruitment setting shouldn't affect you that much. If I was my house's party that you were missing, I would not think that you'd be a bad member.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:00 PM
GreekChat Member

It will really vary from chapter to chapter. If you were rushing MY house, I would be sympathetic because I have worked since I was 14 and I pay for everything (dues, tuition, car, insurance, books, food, clothing, etc) MYSELF.

Secondly, informal recruitment is no where near as strict as formal. Focus on having great conversations with the girls and explain your situation. I can't speak for everyone, but I admire the girls who work hard for the things they have.
Old 08-31-2008, 11:46 AM
GreekChat Member

From what I understood, this is 'informal' but structured, right? There are only so many days you can go to parties, not whenever the chapter decides? If this is true, I stand by my statement..unless you went to at least 3 of the other parties. If it is completely informal recruitment, then it probably wouldn't hurt you.

It really depends on how many parties you have to attend beforehand. But I still think it would hurt you. So I guess this is where we say, it depends on the school..
Old 08-31-2008, 01:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
How many other parties are you attending? I think the sororities would be more lenient if you missed one day. I would suggest if there is another party the day before, you let the sorority sisters know that you're gonna miss the next party because you had to work & weren't able to get it off.
I would be able to attend one party in some houses 2 before the day I'm scheduled to miss..

Quote:
From what I understood, this is 'informal' but structured, right? There are only so many days you can go to parties, not whenever the chapter decides? If this is true, I stand by my statement..unless you went to at least 3 of the other parties. If it is completely informal recruitment, then it probably wouldn't hurt you.

My school is a bit different where as there are dates set aside for informal recruitment however it's up to the chapters to decide when and how many parties they want to have.

Old 08-31-2008, 03:12 PM
GreekChat Member

IMO it will hurt you! Even in an informal recruitment setting, you want the actives to know that you are interested in sorority life....Missing any parties that you could go to, or be invited to will look as though you are not interested.

If you want to be in a sorority, work will need to be structured around sorority events, not the other way around. This may sound harsh, but that is the way it is at many campuses.

Old 08-31-2008, 07:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LttleMsPrEp View Post
I would be able to attend one party in some houses 2 before the day I'm scheduled to miss..

...What? That makes no sense.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Can you check with one of your coworkers and see if one of them is able to cover your shift? Perhaps you can offer a trade -- "I'll take your Friday night shift if you can cover this one shift for me." My experience is that most managers of retail, restaurant, and similar jobs are amenable to switches as long as all shifts are covered.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay...just to finish up my [unpopular, but whatever] statement here...

Be aware that some [maybe all, I'm not sure] chapters will have requirements about who they can bid. For example, some chapters may say that they are not allowed to bid a girl who only attended one party, or only attended two parties. This is why I say it will hurt you - if you can only attend one party, there will probably be groups who are required to cut you due to National guidelines. This may also apply to two parties for other groups.

This is why I say that it may hurt you.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:24 AM

Whether or not this will hurt you depends on the chapter.

There are some who may decide not to bid someone who missed an event. Then there are some who will just go ahead and invite you back again. It just depends.

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantASTic View Post
...What? That makes no sense.
Actually it does, but I'll elaborate if my post was unclear....The day that I'm working.. let's call it "Day X" there are 5 parties scheduled that I'm interested in attending. Of those 5 houses that are throwing parties there are 2 houses that have 2 other parties scheduled before that day for the remaining houses they only have 1 party scheduled before "Day X".. which is why i said that i'd be able to attend one party but in some cases 2.