GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Chi Omega
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,354
2 members and 2,352 guests
TLLK

Old 09-27-2002, 08:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Children's Books

PAT THE BUNNY- This was the first book I read WITH my babies. It is so wonderful and the interaction starts as soon as your baby can discern tactile qualities.

WHER'S SPOT? Next level-WONDERFUL

ANIMALIA- This is the BEST ABC book EVER. It builds vocabulary and the artwork is fabulous. Even ADULTS spend hours because the pictures are comprised of NUMEROUS letter words. For instance a picture of the OCEAN (letter O) would have an octopus, oboe, olive, the color orange,ovals...worked into the art. Just can't say enough about this book.

Then of course-WHERE'S WALDO series!!! Still love those books!

What are/were your favorites?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-27-2002, 08:53 AM
GreekChat Member

The velvetine rabbit was my favorite, I read that book over and over.

I also loved a book that had a cat as the main character. He was owned by this very sick child and the child's parents would not allow the cat to see him. The child was getting worse day by day until one day the cat got into the room and the child perked up again and started improving-I can't remember what this book was called but I thought it was a cute story plus I love cats.
Old 09-27-2002, 08:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh, this is my life!

Goodnight Moon
Animals on the Farm and Animals in the Wild -- two totally random books that I picked up at Toys R Us that both of my boys have just been fascinated with for extended periods of time!
Where's Spot?
Clifford, Where is the Big Red Doggie?
The Wheels on the Bus (the big Caldecott Honor one by Paul Z__)
Fit-a-Shape books (good for entertaining kids during dinners out)

And for older kids:
Jamberry (I love this one)
Stop That Pickle!
Richard Scarry's Cars & Trucks & Things That Go
Fireman Small
the Daisy books (Come Along, Daisy, etc.)
anything by Dr. Seuss

My faves when I was little were:
Rootie Kazootie (with Gala Poochie Pup!)
Tawny Scrawny Lion
Frisker
Little Red Riding Hood

I'll stop there. But I could go on...
Old 09-28-2002, 07:07 AM
GreekChat Member

SoProud2BeAnAlphaXi Your list reminded me of another by Richard Scarry-Where the Wild Things Are. Have you seen this one? It's a medalist-Caldocot or the other one ...been a LOOOOONG time. My son, more so than my daughter, LOVED that book! Again, the art work was so fantastic!

I honestly believe this is where the love of books begins. The biggest bonus is the time you can cuddle with them!

A poem often quoted ends (FOGGY MEMORY BUT KIND OF CLOSE)

I was lucky as you can see. I had a mother who read to me.
Old 09-28-2002, 02:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by justamom
SoProud2BeAnAlphaXi Your list reminded me of another by Richard Scarry-Where the Wild Things Are. Have you seen this one? It's a medalist-Caldocot or the other one ...been a LOOOOONG time. My son, more so than my daughter, LOVED that book! Again, the art work was so fantastic!
Sorry to crash the board, but since I'm a children's librarian I just had to get in on the subject.

JAM: Where the Wild Things Are is a wonderful book! However, it was written by Maurice Sendak, not Richard Scarry, who is another prolific picture-book author whose characters are often monsters. It won the Caldecott Medal in 1964. The other award you are thinking of is the Newbery Medal, which is given to a book for school-age children.

I started reading at 4, so I don't remember any favorite picture books. I loved Judy Blume and Beverly Cleary when I was growing up, as well as Jerry Spinelli, Astrid Lindgren, and many others. I never really grew out of my love for children's and teen literature so I turned it into my profession.

Favorite pictur0e books of mine: ANYTHING by Chris Van Allsburg (The Polar Express, Jumanji), Bread and Jam for Frances by Russell Hoban, almost anything by Maurice Sendak (I think the movie "Labyrinth" is based in part on his Outside Over There), and anything by Ellen Stoll Walsh. I'm better with books for school-age kids and teens than I am for the little ones, but if anyone needs or wants recs on picture books, you let me know!
Old 09-28-2002, 03:30 PM
GreekChat Member

KappaStarGirl-Thanks soooo muh-That was just bothering me...you now how someting in the back of your mind keeps nagging? Now I won't wake up in the middle of the night when that "light bulb" goes off!

I'm not familiar with Chris Van Allsburgs. I hate to think I missed out on a good read for them! There are so many wonderful books-I'm looking forward (about 10 years from now) to reading to my grandkids! I might have better luck with my nieces at least one is married and the other has graduated!

Did anyone ever read those "Make Your Own Adventure" books?

Gosh darn-now "Along Came Ducklings" is in my head!

KappaStarGirl!!!! Now I'm wondering if it's "Make ROOM for Ducklings". LOL!!! I have officially LOST it!!!

Last edited by justamom; 09-28-2002 at 04:15 PM.
Old 09-28-2002, 08:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by justamom

Did anyone ever read those "Make Your Own Adventure" books?

Gosh darn-now "Along Came Ducklings" is in my head!

KappaStarGirl!!!! Now I'm wondering if it's "Make ROOM for Ducklings". LOL!!! I have officially LOST it!!!
LOL!! It's actually Make Way for Ducklings and the author is Robert McCloskey. That one also won the Caldecott Medal very early in the history of the award. I'm too lazy to look up the year.

and...you guessed it...they're called the "Choose Your Own Adventure" books. I really liked them when I was younger, but if I got a bad ending I would always go back and pretend I got a different one.
Old 09-28-2002, 08:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KappaStargirl

Where the Wild Things Are is a wonderful book!

I started reading at 4, so I don't remember any favorite picture books. I loved Judy Blume and Beverly Cleary when I was growing up
LOVE some Where the Wild Things Are - great book!

Also, can I please get some "TALES OF A 4TH GRADE NOTHING" in here?! I LOVE Judy Blume!

We bought Eli his first "book" -- The cow says "moo" - the sheep says "baa" -- three dancing pigs sing "la la la" -- too funny!
Old 09-28-2002, 08:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AXO Alum

Also, can I please get some "TALES OF A 4TH GRADE NOTHING" in here?! I LOVE Judy Blume!

We bought Eli his first "book" -- The cow says "moo" - the sheep says "baa" -- three dancing pigs sing "la la la" -- too funny!
I am all over TALES OF A FOURTH GRADE NOTHING like white on rice. That was my first Judy Blume book! I love the sequels, too: SUPERFUDGE and FUDGE-A-MANIA.

That book you bought for Eli must be MOO, BAA, LA LA LA by Sandra Boynton. LOVE that book, it is a hoot! Hooray for board books. You might also like some Denise Fleming, like IN THE TALL, TALL GRASS.

Ack, I am certainly on my way to winning the Board Crasher of the Year Award, aren't I
Old 09-29-2002, 07:55 AM
GreekChat Member

KappaStarGirl-Ya got the "right stuff" for this thread.

AXO_ALUM-My daughter loved the 4th Grade nothing...LOVED it!

We have every one of the Stine books (R.L.?) and my son has read all the Harry Potter books. They had a reading competition every year of grade school and middle school. That really kicked them into high gear. Until they hit HS, they didn't have a TV in their room and I honestly believe that made a HUGE difference!
Old 09-30-2002, 10:20 PM
GreekChat Member

For little ones I love Goodnight Moon, Runaway Bunny and Guess How Much I Love You?! I tell my girls they will ALWAYS be my little babies, even when they are all grown up! They love that! Sometimes they just come sit on my lap and say I want to be your little baby! It is great! (These older children don't give hugs and kisses so liberally anymore - got to really appreciate it when they do!).

For the five year old, we love No David! and Moo Moo Clack Clack! We laugh at David because he is always getting into trouble, just like our baby! You know - flushing who knows what down the toilet (hairbows, a whole thing of wet wipes, hats, whatever!) - just constantly making a mess in a matter of a minute!

I'm reading the Little Prince with my oldest. She is also into Junie B. Jones, and I know the Judy Blume books are not far off! (I might just have to sneak and read them again when she's not paying attention!)
Old 10-01-2002, 08:35 PM
GreekChat Member

More thoughts/good book memories...

One of my favorite books when I was a little older (maybe 8ish, but who can remember?) was Gone-Away Lake by Elizabeth Enright, which was followed up by Return to Gone-Away Lake. I still check it out of the library every couple of years to read it again! Really wonderful. I also devoured the "Shoes" books (Ballet Shoes, Theatre Shoes) by Noel Streatfield, The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett, a really delightfully little book called Mandy by Julie Andrews Edwards, and every Nancy Drew book in sight. There was also Kibby's Big Feat, which I've never been able to find since, and The Witch of Blackbird Pond. Good heavens, I love books!!