GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,278
1 members and 2,277 guests
Pinkmagnolia921

Old 09-30-2011, 07:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Indiana Recruitment

I was told that at IU, only 45% of girls who go through recruitment receive bids. IU starts recruitment at the beginning of December, and it's continued after winter break during January. Do you think this 45% of girls that receive bids are the 45% who go through recruitment all the way to pref night, or does it take into account the girls who drop because of grades, or just random reasons.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-30-2011, 08:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Indiana has its own system of doing things based on "living in" the house...so this means less slots per house=less girls getting bids. Apparently there isn't any room to expand/build new houses. There are about a gazillion threads on this if you search for Indiana! Good luck.

ETA: There are 5 at the bottom of the screen right now THreads about Indiana, that is.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianagreek View Post
I was told that at IU, only 45% of girls who go through recruitment receive bids. IU starts recruitment at the beginning of December, and it's continued after winter break during January. Do you think this 45% of girls that receive bids are the 45% who go through recruitment all the way to pref night, or does it take into account the girls who drop because of grades, or just random reasons.
With any sort of percentage, you do need to look at the fact that they (in most cases) don't account for women who CHOOSE to drop out.

Also, if you're getting this info from sorority members (or even other PNMs) keep in mind that they don't always know the EXACT stats for their school.

For example, the average placement rate at say, Bama (which is quite competitive) is in the 90% range. Yet, you'll hear a sorority member say something super off base like "recruitment was sooooo tough this year, only like 40% of the girls going through got bids!!!" That's just not true and many times that's just how they perceive it. Or they're trying to make their Greek system seem more exclusive than it is.

I suggest reading a little bit more about IU on this site, as their recruitment (structure and method of setting quota) is different than many schools.

Lakers Nation.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:46 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm pretty sure that the 45% number takes into account all the PNMs who register for recruitment (which is about 1500-1600 each year I believe) and then subtracts those who end up dropping or being cut for grades in addition to those who don't match with a house at preference round. The actual number of PNMs who attend preference round but don't receive a bid isn't nearly as high. Still, IU recruitment is grueling (but well-worth it at the end). If you have any questions, feel free to ask because I went through last year. This will be my first year recruiting girls to join our chapter so I am in super recruitment geek-mode right now.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:47 AM
GreekChat Member

And of course they have a new un-housed sorority on campus so presumably there will be greater opportunity to place girls, although maybe not in their first choice. I hope the girls will give them a chance.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:57 AM

I thought that TPA wasn't participating in the whole of formal rush - that they were only doing 19 party and then dropping out. If that is the case, girls will not be "placed" there - they'll have to make a decision to leave formal rush.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:03 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't know. I was thinking they're already established so they would function more or less normally, but I guess they are still a colony so they would have to function differently (voting and other details being different). I will look forward to learning more!
Old 11-08-2011, 02:05 AM

^^^I'm thinking that next spring (spring 2013) will be their first full FR.

Lakers Nation.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
^^^I'm thinking that next spring (spring 2013) will be their first full FR.
That's the info I have as well.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Yes, that is correct. TPA will participate in the open house round in a few weeks but that is all. I have mixed feelings about this since I was on campus when other sororities did this years ago. To the OP, yes, the placement rate at Indiana looks low but it does take into account the women who attend open houses then are not eligible to return due to their GPA. If those women were not counted in that figure it would be quite a bit higher. Also, that counts the women who CHOOSE to drop out because they did not receive invitations back to the chapters they wanted. Indiana recruitment is not impossible, it definitely requires an open mind and careful ranking of chapters with the end in mind.
Old 11-12-2011, 03:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Recruitment starts in 3 weeks! We haven't received our Rho Gammas yet but I am so excited to begin! I will be sure to update you all on my progress!
Old 11-12-2011, 05:12 PM
GreekChat Member

I understand why TPA is choosing to drop out after 20 party, but I feel like it might be setting them up for disaster. We do have a pretty ingrained culture of sorority = living in the house, and I wonder how well the girls going through recruitment will take to that. Current TPA members are sophomores and up, and most of them went through recruitment at least once.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUHoosiergirl88 View Post
We do have a pretty ingrained culture of sorority = living in the house, and I wonder how well the girls going through recruitment will take to that.
I'm not that familiar with Indiana, does anyone know why they aren't allowing more greek housing? Is it lack of space? I've heard the university plans on having all 26 NPC groups eventually, but surely they will have to offer housing availability in order for everyone to accept. If IUHoosiergirl is correct, then there are obviously enough interested women to fill additional houses
Old 11-12-2011, 09:35 PM

^^^My understanding is NOT that the University isn't ALLOWING more Greek housing, it's just that the space isn't there.

All groups recently invited to colonize there have accepted the invitation on the terms of "you can colonize, but just know that there is no room for you to have housing."

It's also a money issue. Even if there were plenty of lots, it would cost a ton of money to build the kind of facility needed to be competitive (google some of the Indiana sorority houses and you'll see.)

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 11-12-2011 at 09:38 PM.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:02 AM
GreekChat Member

I still contend there's room for an alternative to the housed sorority. A distinctly smaller chapter, but available nonetheless. If I were them I would be participating in formal rush, have very directed conversations about what they can actually offer (and not pipe dreams about housing some day) and hope to get 15 or 20 new members. If they could sustain 75 members over time, happy members, I think they could consider themselves a success. Maybe even 50. There are some real positives to be exploited there, but they have to take full advantage of every opportunity they have, and formal rush is the biggest.