GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,661
2 members and 1,659 guests
flamboyanttree, LaneSig

Old 10-14-2014, 11:48 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm having a great time reading your predictions about which philanthropy I failed to connect with. It's funny because a few of the ones mentioned were either ones presented to me during recruitment that I connected with or ones that I have supported previously on my own.
I'm hoping to write my round three story this evening if all goes as planned. It is a little bit controversial so I'm interested to see how you all react to it! Stay tuned for more! As always, thanks so much for reading!
Old 10-14-2014, 11:48 AM
GreekChat Member

I graduated from college in 1987 and when we, Theta, switched to CASA after that, I thought it was probably a more well-recognized philanthropy. There was only one Chapter on my campus who had a more "obscure" philanthropy to me, but they have since changed their philanthropic organization too. Interesting discussion.

Looking forward to more of the story.

Last edited by KYKAT; 10-14-2014 at 01:50 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:19 PM
GreekChat Member

While we're waiting for the next installment, I'll share that I chose my career based on Theta's support of the Institute of Logopedics in Kansas. It was an organization that I could really support. Last March I heard a fabulous, fabulous Delta Gamma alumna speak about Bill Wilkerson and the DGs' association with him and the Hearing and Speech center at Vanderbilt (wish I could recall her name, for my DG Panhell sisters. When I do, I will share it, but don't hold your breath, but holy cow she was a dynamic speaker).

Sorry if this is too much of a derailment, or swerve, I am simply trying not to be impatient. I hope KC_96's story ends with her finding a home, regardless of the philanthropy.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 10-14-2014, 04:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
While we're waiting for the next installment, I'll share that I chose my career based on Theta's support of the Institute of Logopedics in Kansas. It was an organization that I could really support. Last March I heard a fabulous, fabulous Delta Gamma alumna speak about Bill Wilkerson and the DGs' association with him and the Hearing and Speech center at Vanderbilt (wish I could recall her name, for my DG Panhell sisters. When I do, I will share it, but don't hold your breath, but holy cow she was a dynamic speaker).

Sorry if this is too much of a derailment, or swerve, I am simply trying not to be impatient. I hope KC_96's story ends with her finding a home, regardless of the philanthropy.
Maureen Syring was the speaker at the Tucson Alumna Panhellenic luncheon in spring of 2014 and the recipient of the 2014 Athena Award.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-AlphaXi View Post
Maureen Syring was the speaker at the Tucson Alumna Panhellenic luncheon in spring of 2014 and the recipient of the 2014 Athena Award.
We are so proud of our "Reen"! Thank you for your kind words about our former Fraternity President!
Old 10-14-2014, 06:56 PM
GreekChat Member

The next day, I woke up nervous to pick up my invites. I ended up going after class with a huge group of friends to get the invites (not a great idea). While everyone else was excited to get back their full schedules (4 houses max.), I looked down at my schedule which read

1. Kenny Chesney
2. Kacey Musgraves

Two. I was down to two. This hurt. And it hurt bad. Not only was I down to two, I was down to my bottom two. My best friend, a Luke Bryan legacy, realized I wasn’t entirely happy. She took me out to lunch and, after a long discussion, helped me realize that I should give these sororities a good look. Although I never seriously, considered dropping out at this point, I was really glad that I had such a great friend remind me that it only takes one in the end.

After our lunch, I saw my rho gamma while I was walking back to my dorm. She hadn’t been overly friendly or helpful, especially considering it was her job to help me through the process. I thought now would be a good time to chat with her about how I was feeling. She asked me how recruitment was and I told her that in all honesty, I wasn’t incredibly happy with my outcome thus far, but I was hopeful that one of my two remaining houses would be my home. She told me, and I quote, “Well, that’s what you get for going through recruitment without recs and legacies.” What? Um, I’m pretty sure that this is the girl that is supposed to HELP me cope with the loss of houses I love, not tear me down as a result of it. And prior to my registration, I emailed our director of recruitment asking if recs were recommended for the school and was told “They’re not super important here like they are at big schools.” So this made me really upset. Remember that at this point, I feel pretty confident that this girl is a Florida Georgia Line.

That said, I was very scared, but also hopeful going into the parties for sisterhood night. Here’s what happened:

Kenny Chesney- The first question I was asked was “How has your day been going?” After I responded, the girl I was talking to gave me a 3 minute long rehearsed speech on sisterhood that had nothing to do with how my day was going. I was very confused. It was evident that these girls loved each other, but they didn’t seem very interested in me. I wasn’t asked any questions about myself so I had to ask the girls questions about the sororities and themselves. I was very, very uncomfortable. At one point, the girl I was speaking with walked away and talked with her sisters for about two minutes, leaving me completely alone and awkward. Another girl picked me up, but during our conversation point blank told me that she hated the north and the mentality of the people who lived there (after I told her I was from the north. Um, okay then?). I really hated this party and I really, really hoped that I wouldn’t get called back.
Kacey Musgraves- I knew almost every girl waiting in line to go to this house and many of them were trash talking it because they had “better” options. I tried not to listen to them because I had nothing against this house and it was my only alternative to the other. Thank goodness I was right. Again, I felt like I never took the time to truly appreciate this house. They held a ritual ceremony (weird since it was only round 3) which really touched my heart because it was about never being alone and depending on your sisters. Even though I was paired with another PNM, I felt like I truly connected with the girls I talked to. Again, I talked to my orientation leader who seemed to really like me during this conversation. The other girl I talked to had the same major that I did and seemed to really like me as well (she actually told me the she “loved me” in the middle of the conversation in front of another PNM and had to awkwardly backtrack and tell the other girl that she loved her too). They played a sisterhood video which was literally perfect. For once, I felt like I was home. This was where I was meant to be.

My rankings for this night were pretty obvious. I spent my night Facebook stalking the girls I had talked to and stumbled upon a long forgotten photo revealing my rho gamma’s house. My rho gamma was a Kenny Chesney.

I’m having so much fun sharing my story with all of you! Thanks for your patience as I post these stories! Get ready for round 4!
Old 10-15-2014, 02:39 PM
GreekChat Member

The Rho Chi was probably trying to make you feel better (ie. "It's not you. It's just the paperwork!") but she was pretty awkward about it.

(And my guess for obscure philanthropy is Pi Phi's Arrows in the Arctic. It's awesome, but I would have never heard of it, if I didn't know some Pi Phis.)
Old 10-15-2014, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator

Literacy is our main philanthropy. Arrow in the Arctic is just kind of an offshoot. I haven't heard anyone mention it in years,
Old 10-15-2014, 04:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Arrow in the Arctic… leads me to

Key in Kiribati

Kite in Kyrgyzstan

Panda in Peru

Quill in Quebec

Anchor in Argentina

Dophin in Denmark
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 10-15-2014, 04:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Literacy is our main philanthropy. Arrow in the Arctic is just kind of an offshoot. I haven't heard anyone mention it in years,
I think it's really cool though that Pi Phi has designated a Canadian philanthropy that ties into its main thrust. It's a good way to be less US-centric in planning for future growth.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
I think it's really cool though that Pi Phi has designated a Canadian philanthropy that ties into its main thrust. It's a good way to be less US-centric in planning for future growth.

Gamma Phi Beta has a partnership with Girl Guides of Canada.

True and Constant
Old 10-15-2014, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator

I thought Pi Beta Phi's philanthropy is Literacy. I assume that has changed?
Old 10-15-2014, 08:10 PM
GreekChat Member

honey, it is - see what carnation wrote? Look up! Look UP!

(making stick out tongue face at you)
Old 10-17-2014, 12:47 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know if I should be ashamed or if this is laughable, but with all of this talk about philanthropy, it got me to thinking back to my college days in Kappa. I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I don't really remember what our primary philanthropy was!! I was very active in my chapter and I do remember doing lots of philanthropic activities, but nothing with a prevalent theme comes to mind. I attended college in the late 70's-early 80's, so maybe I get a pass for having menopause brain !
Old 10-17-2014, 01:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueOwl View Post
I don't know if I should be ashamed or if this is laughable, but with all of this talk about philanthropy, it got me to thinking back to my college days in Kappa. I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I don't really remember what our primary philanthropy was!! I was very active in my chapter and I do remember doing lots of philanthropic activities, but nothing with a prevalent theme comes to mind. I attended college in the late 70's-early 80's, so maybe I get a pass for having menopause brain !
I don't think Kappa had a national philanthropy until sometime in the mid to late 90s when RIF was chosen, FWIW. I couldn't tell you what our philanthropy was from my active days, either.