GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 1,481
0 members and 1,481 guests
No Members online

Old 08-20-2006, 06:17 PM
GreekChat Member

How to Soothe This Pain???

I am soo not this person - meaning normally, I don't post to message boards. In fact, I've never done it before, so if I break any rules or protocols, I'm so sorry. I'm just a heart broken mom looking for answers.

I want to make it clear that everything you read here is accurate and honest. Otherwise, how could I expect honest help from you all. Our daughter went through Rush at UGA last week, and we are still reeling from the experience. I wasn't in a sorority in college. I had no preconceived notions about them. We have only lived in GA - right in a surrounding county of Athens - for 10 years. Our daughter wanted to Rush, so we supported it.

She's one of those "whole package" kids: Honors and AP classes, great g.p.a., scholarships to both University of Louisville and Indiana University as well as UGA, three pages of activities and volunteer'isms (literally! we really had a hard time cutting things out to fit on the one page Rush registration form), very well liked, and, of course, stunningly beautiful - blonde hair, green eyes, the whole nine yards.

She knows a couple of girls in each of the sororities, some more than others. She had wonderful letters of recommendation for most of the houses. She wore very nice dresses, shoes, accessories, etc - name brands everyone would recognize (which absolutely kills me to mention). After round one she had several "favorites", but loved her experience at all the houses. She truly felt welcomed at each house and with one exception, that she had really made a connection with all the young ladies sent to interact with her. At the end of round one she struggled to rank the houses.

Round Two: She was very excited to get her invitation card on the morning of the second round. To her disappointment (you knew this part was coming), she had only three invitations for second round. She was still very interested in the three remaining houses, but obviously feeling pretty rejected. After we talked on the phone that morning, she picked herself up and headed out. That evening, she ranked the day's house visits as one, two, and three.

Round Three: There was no round three. She received a call from her recruitment counselor that morning letting her know that there would be no need to come to Rush that day, as she had been cut from the remaining three houses.

She was devastated, is devastated, and because she is in so much pain - so am I. All of her friends from our county received 8 to 12 invitations to round two. All of the girls from our county received bids on bid day except four and one of those declined a "snap bid" (I think that's the term). So actually three girls from our county did not receive a bid at all. My daughter was the only one cut so drastically. She managed the courage to keep her name on the open bid list, but nothing has materialized to date.

I spent two days with her after she was cut. She is a level-headed girl with a great sense of identity. She was everyone's go-to girl in high school. As I said, well-liked and successful, and she has had her share of disappointments and handled them well. She could put things in perspective. But, this has been more than she can process - cut by all 18 sororities in two days when her visits had seemed to go so well!

She wasn't holding out for any particular group, she had no preconceived ideas about the houses, and as she always does in all areas of her life, she didn't judge any of the groups by labels or the rumor mill. She would have been happy to have received a bid from any of the houses.

In reading some of the threads about UGA rush, am I understanding that of the 1300 girls participating, 900 of them recieved bids? She and I are both struggling so hard to make sense of what has happened. I have given her the talk about "it just being about getting the numbers down, etc.", but she hasn't been able to accept it. She knows that several of the girls from our county who received bids don't have her academic, work, and volunteerism record, nor do they have her outgoing personality. They weren't legacies either. She's convinced that something went wrong.

I don't want this to sound like "sour grapes" or a "my kid can walk on water" speech. We're a well grounded, realistic family with two well grounded, realistic kids. Our daughter gets grounded, receives an allowance, does chores (even now - when she's home), etc...

What do I tell her at this point? Her Rush experience was so completely different from that of everyone she knows - all of her hallmates, friends, and other acquaintances. How do I help her?

I'm so sorry for the incredibly long post. Has anyone else had this experience? How do I help her get over the overwhelming feelings of rejection?

Thank you, GaMom
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-20-2006, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator

GAMom, please check your private messages.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:34 PM

I can totally see why you're hurt, she's your child and you can probably not fathom why a group wouldn't want your daughter to be a part of their sisterhood. And that's ok.

From what you say, she's very accomplished. For alot of girls, this is their first real experience with rejection. They've succeeded at EVERY SINGLE thing they've ever decided to pursue. Then they come to college, want to rush, go though, and get cut. It's very heartbreaking for them because they don't understand why they were so successful at everything, but didn't get a bid at rush.

Just be there for her. Listen to her cry, Be an open ear. Eventually, this hurt will pass. She'll get into her classes, meet friends (even guys), do other fun stuff, and things will get better.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:47 PM
GreekChat Member

It's stories like this that absolutely break my heart. I wish I could give you some reasons why it happened but I can't. All you can do is be the loving Mother you obviously are and be there for her. Life does go on.

Jocelyn was right too, for many young women this is the first time they have ever not gotten something they set their mind on. While it's little consolation now, in the long run hopefully it will make her a stronger person.

Above all, I hope she (and you) does not become bitter towards the Greek system as a whole because of this disappointing experience.

Sending you and your daughter my best wishes.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I have to give you daughter credit for even trying to rush at a cut-throat school like UGA. It must be crazy when you have 1300 perfect candidates. I know sororities at my school would be fighting like ravenous wolves over this PNM.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Scandia
Sounds like my experience at UF. I was in a very similar position- except that I was the class nerd in high school, and while I am pretty and dress well, I sure am not the beauty standard (I have dark hair and eyes- I'm Mediterranean). UF was just as cut-throat, if not tougher.

I'm sorry to hear about your daughter's experience. I hope she tries again next year.

Theta Phi Alpha
Old 08-20-2006, 07:22 PM
GreekChat Member

No, definately not bitter. I know some wonderful women that are products of UGA's Greek system. In fact, two of them in particular have have been so wonderful to us this week. I don't know how they manage Rush week here. They are well known members of this community and write several recommendations for Rush every year - they are both from very well known sororities. One is an alumni coordinator during Rush, and the other's daughter rushed this time with mine. Yet, they have both been amazingly warm and comforting. What an awful position for each of them to be in, having to comfort a friend who's daughter was cut so early when one had to witness so much painful cutting at the house, and the other's daughter got her first choice. These women have tender and generous hearts.

Thank you for your kind and comforting words. I do have another question. Isn't it only proper for my daughter to send notes to all the women who wrote letters on her behalf, and if so, how does she phrase this?
Thanks, GaMom
Old 08-20-2006, 07:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay, I just did a quick search. UGA has 25,000 undergrads and ~20% of women are sorority members. The numbers are a little less for guys but let's assume 20%. So roughly 80% of the student population is NOT Greek which means your daughter is in the company of 20,000 other students. That's a lot of non-Greeks. And there are (according the UGA website) over 500 clubs to become involved in. In other words, there is life after not getting into a sorority.

Now I do not mean in any way, shape or form to diminish your pain and your daughter's pain. I have been in a similar position and I complete and totally understand how much you and she are hurting right now. I feel very, very badly for you both. There is no alternative but to pick yourselves up and keep going. (It might also help to stop comparing to the others from your county). You don't know why she wasn't picked and why someone else was and you won't ever know.

You're being a good supportive mom and giving her what she needs right now: a safe place to be.

I believe that the best way to make it in to a sorority - particularly the second time around if she decides to re-rush (and I have no idea how hard it is for sophomores at UGA) is to know a lot of girls already in the house. She sounds like a wonderful girl with a lot to offer the school and I'd encourage her to get out there and get involved.

The pain will be tough to take but it will definitely lessen over time - I wish you both good luck.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:32 PM
GreekChat Member

While a follow-up to the women who wrote her recs is greatly appreciated and something she should do (esp. if she may go through recruitment a second time and need to secure new recs for the next recruitment cycle), but she may want to wait a week or so until she is feeling back to being normal.

She should phrase it in her own words, but something along the lines of:

Dear ALUMNA,
Thank you so much for your kindness and time in helping me secure sorority recommendations. While recruitment did not end as I'd hoped, I'm very excited to be attending UGA and plan to get involved with campus life! This semester, I have a full course load and I'm living in a dorm with some wonderful girls. I love the school! Thank you again for all your help. While sorority membership is not in the cards for me at this time, I hope for a future opportunity and would like to stay in touch with you. Wishing you all the best.

Sincerely,
GADaughter
Old 08-20-2006, 07:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaMom
Isn't it only proper for my daughter to send notes to all the women who wrote letters on her behalf, and if so, how does she phrase this?
Thanks, GaMom
Yes. Any rec writer would appreciate any news--even if it isn't the best news!

adpiucf's draft was great! A week or two does help, but she should definitely send something, even if it turns out she doesn't go through Recruitment. Writing recs is a long process, and us alumnae like to know how things turned out--no matter what.

Best of luck to you and your daughter.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scandia
Sounds like my experience at UF. I was in a very similar position- except that I was the class nerd in high school, and while I am pretty and dress well, I sure am not the beauty standard (I have dark hair and eyes- I'm Mediterranean). UF was just as cut-throat, if not tougher.

I'm sorry to hear about your daughter's experience. I hope she tries again next year.

I'd say it has more to do with your odd habits & hobbies.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Scandia, plenty of class nerds get bids, and plenty of women who are not blonde get bids, too. Please let's keep this thread on track.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:53 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm very sorry to hear about your daughters experience. Having attended UGA, I know all too well how difficult the rush process is and every year there are wonderful, outstanding women who for whatever reason do not end up with a bid. I hope she will consider COR or rush again if she chooses. Sounds like she has an wonderful and supportive mom which is most important for her right now. Best wishes to you both.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:57 PM
GreekChat Member

OK, this thread is breaking my heart. My daughter went through rush 6 years ago and I can remember the anticipation, and her pain of getting cut from a group during the process. She was picked by her first choice, but she had an opportunity to meet girls during a freshman "leadership camp" the summer before, and her campus was not nearly as competitive as some I have read about on this board. I have a question now....is something like this a good argument for having deferred rush? A time for the pnm's to get to know the different groups and for the groups to really get to know the pnm's??

She may still yet get to experience Greek life...I have no doubt she will make friends and be invited to parties and events and a bid may await her down the road. If not, there are so many organizations out there. She sounds like a leader, and she'll find a place for herself. (((hugs)))to mom and daughter.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Scandia
I would not be shocked if many girls like me got bids at other schools.

But UF is as tight as it can get.

Theta Phi Alpha