GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,423
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, acheldarko1907
» Online Users: 2,737
0 members and 2,737 guests
No Members online

Old 06-21-2001, 05:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Thank you so much Korkscru, that was by far, IMO, the BEST show Oprah has done in years! Talk about some stirring of the souls....now I HAVE to get the new Alicia Keys joint. And Jill Scott represented as well. I agree she is a beautiful person...inside and out.

------------------
*someday...if it's in God's will*
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-21-2001, 08:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Painting the Bronx, NY pretty PINK and gorgeous GREEN
Wasn't Jill Scott, India.Arie and Alicia Keys Amazing!! I love Mary Mary and Yolanda don't get me wrong, but I feel as though I have been in the clouds lately because I had never heard that song "Falling" By Alicia. Amazing voices and such lovely women... I almost was in tears when I heard Jill sing "I love You" It made me think of my man....one of the few reasons I could ever watch Oprah!
Old 06-21-2001, 08:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Alicia's piano playing and singing was beautiful NO DOUBT about it. I was IMPRESSED to hear that she wrote and produced all of the tracks on her CD which comes out this coming Tuesday, 6/26

I wish Yolanda had sang IN THE MIDST OF IT ALL. . .that song is my testimony.

As I listen to Fallin for the 100th time today and look forward to seeing the video tonight on Midnight Love.

Oprah finally made me WANT to watch her show because I am so anti-Oprah, it is NOT funny.
Old 06-21-2001, 09:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by korkscru:
Well Nicci, whatever the case may be, let's just thank heavens that she has FINALLY seen the light. I'm starting to change my mind (just a liiiittle bit) about Oprah. I feel that ANYONE who would just LISTEN to Jill Scott's CD ONE time, they would automatically get hooked. I'm sooo excited for Jill. Let's face it, by her being on Oprah, she's probably going to get a lot more exposure that is positive and richly deserved. I can't wait until Volume II of her CD comes out (Volume I is ALREADY a classic). Jill is beautiful and so is her music.
No doubt sista, I hear you on that one
Old 06-22-2001, 04:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Deltagirl_5
Unhappy

Sorors,
Did anyone happen to record that episode of Oprah? I missed it and an truelly dissapointed. It sounded like one of her best shows thus far. Not to mention that most of my favorite singers were on it!! If anyone did, please let me know. I am dying to see it!!
Old 06-22-2001, 09:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Oprah was off the chain yesterday!!!! I missed Alicia Keys, but I saw the rest.

That was a great "feel good" show! They all were wonderful!

But.. Jill, Jill, Jill....what else can we say about Jill? She has such a beautiful spirit that she leaves you speechless. Wait 'til y'all see her in person!
Old 06-22-2001, 02:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy

I feel like crying right now because this is the first time I've seen this post and the show as come and gone. I guess I'll have to wait for the re-run. Whenever that will be.
Old 06-22-2001, 02:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to JJSP01
Talking

I saw the show and it was off the hook! All of those ladies can SANG!!! Yolanda was incredible...as was Jill Scott. I was surprised that Oprah knew many of the words of each artists' songs! Go on Oprah!

------------------
Baltimore Metropolitan Alumnae Chapter
Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc.
#47 of Triage 47 SP'01

"Every woman dreams of wearing crimson and creme."
Old 06-22-2001, 02:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by candygirl:
I I guess I'll have to wait for the re-run. Whenever that will be.
Oprah reruns usually run a day or two later during late night hours. I'm not sure exactly what time, but check your cable listings to be sure. I'll be on the look out as well b/c I would like to tape it the next time it airs.

------------------
*someday...if it's in God's will*
Old 06-22-2001, 04:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to MaMaBuddha Send a message via AIM to MaMaBuddha Send a message via Yahoo to MaMaBuddha
Talking

my girl Jill Scott and Alicia Keys blew it up...

it is about time Oprah started coming back to her people....
Old 06-22-2001, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MaMaBuddha:
it is about time Oprah started coming back to her people....
You AIN'T NEVER LIED about that. MY coworker is in love with Oprah and I am always bashing Oprah because she has become too mainstream for me but that is my personal opinion.
Old 06-23-2001, 09:58 AM
Banned

Location: where the palm trees dance and the sun kisses the land...
Lightbulb

too mainstream??? i am severely perplexed by that...mainstream as opposed to catering more to the "black" audience? if so, what issue has she addressed that is not pertinent to the black community as well...things we SHOULD be addressing...just because her audience is not completely filled with blacks and she doesn't have iyanla vanzant on everyday...doesn't mean that she is too "mainstream"...she addresses human issues...not issues that only serve certain segments of the population...what is wrong with that? what is wrong with finding the commonalities in individuals instead of seeking out the differences...which only serve to further divide?

[This message has been edited by SableCherub (edited June 23, 2001).]
Old 06-23-2001, 10:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SableCherub:
too mainstream??? i am severely perplexed by that...mainstream as opposed to catering more to the "black" audience? if so, what issue has she addressed that is not pertinenat to the black community as well...things we SHOULD be addressing...just because her audience is not completely filled with blacks and she doesn't have iyanla vanzant on everyday...doesn't mean that she is to "mainstream"...she addresses human issues...not issues that only serve certain segments of the population...what is wrong with that? what is wrong with finding the commonalities in individuals instead of seeking out the differences...which only serve to further divide?
Just to clarify one point, I did not like the Iyanla Vanzant shows although I have not watched Oprah except this past week in years.
Old 06-23-2001, 10:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

I guess I'm the odd ball. I actually like Oprah. I think that it's important for talk show host to use this medium in educating people across the board on things that are important and common in our lives. Things such as relationships,family life, health issues, and dealing with an age crisis.

Just this last week she did a show on college students and those who are resent graduates. They discussed issues of feeling inadequate, depression, not realizing that they are now adults, wanting to please and make family members proud. These are things that all of us probably went through or are going through. We would never know that their are others who have the same issues unless we talk about it.

I especially love the use your life award. I find myself crying almost everytime because these people sacrifice so much to help those that are in need of their services.

Remembering your spirit has the same affect. I just enjoy seeing real people talk about what they've gone through in their lives and how they've overcome life's obstacles.

Now Dr. Phill is cool but he's starting to get on my nerves. I don't think it's necessary for him to appear on the show every Tuesday. I guess they signed a contract.

Overall I give Oprah a big thumbs up for adressing issues that profoundly affect all members of our society.

I know this post has gone way off the original topic, but I just wanted to put my 2 cents in.

[This message has been edited by candygirl (edited June 23, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by candygirl (edited June 23, 2001).]
Old 06-23-2001, 02:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to korkscru Send a message via Yahoo to korkscru
Ladies, I realize that ther are different opinions about Oprah, but, as Candygirl said, that is not the topic for THIS particular discussion. I don't want anyone to be "perplexed" or offended by anything that is discussed on this particular topic...because I started it. I just want us to have fun discussing the Oprah show that aired on 6/21/01.

We already know that there are going to be different opinions expressed, especially about controversial topics like Destiny's Child, Oprah, etc. But THIS particular topic is to give props to the wonderful African-American females who performed on that particular show. It just happened that their catalyst was the Oprah Show.

PEACE, LOVE, AND HAPPINESS YALL!!!!!