GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,128
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, baadamashtolzea
» Online Users: 1,233
1 members and 1,232 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 10:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation After being initiated, transfering and joining another soro

Is it possible for a girl who joined and was initiated in a sorority transfer schools and join another one? Even if this girl disaffiliated? How would the girls know? Does NPC have a full list of names? Could this actually work?

I know this girl who just transferred in as a sophomore to a very small school. She is having trouble meeting people and her sorority she had joined at her old school is not there. She had received on invitation to COB (continuous open bidding). Does she have a chance to join this other sorority?
Old 10-12-2006, 10:38 AM

No.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Not unless she pledged a local or the group who COBed her was a local.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

how would they find out or know that she was initiaited in another sorority?
Old 10-12-2006, 10:53 AM
GreekChat Member

There is no master directory, however because of the nature of Greek Life, she would eventually be caught and lose her membership from both sororities (i think) Most of the time, the girl can't keep her mouth shut. The rest of the time, someone always knows someone from other campuses. (And facebook's a bitch)
Old 10-12-2006, 10:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Yes facebook, myspace, and "Jewish" geography. Even if you aren't Jewish.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1987girl View Post
Sometimes girls can "slip through the cracks" (reference my post from a few weeks ago in the "weird rush stories" thread for an example) and will try to rush at a new school after initiating into one sorority.

However, most (if not all) schools will transfer a woman's Greek history to her new school as part of her general transcript. This information is then passed along to that school's Greek Life office and she will not be allowed to sign up for recruitment or COB...or if she tried, she'd be quickly released from the process once they looked through her file. In order to join a sorority, you have to give information like your SSN, and you can quickly and easily be matched to another NPC group.

And let's hypothetically say that a woman was able to go through recruitment and join a sorority as a new member. The second she was "found out" (which would happen eventually) she would be unceremoniously booted and people would probably be pretty angry at her. It would probably be a humiliating experience for the PNM, but really, anyone who has been initiated into one NPC group should know better.

To let my lyre send forth the chords of love, unselfishness and sincerity
Old 10-12-2006, 05:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AChiOhSnap View Post
However, most (if not all) schools will transfer a woman's Greek history to her new school as part of her general transcript. This information is then passed along to that school's Greek Life office and she will not be allowed to sign up for recruitment or COB...or if she tried, she'd be quickly released from the process once they looked through her file.
Really? I can't imagine my school's registrar office bothering to note my extracurriculars on my transcript...well, in fact I know they didn't, because I've seen my transcript. Is this really common?
Old 10-13-2006, 07:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AChiOhSnap View Post
And let's hypothetically say that a woman was able to go through recruitment and join a sorority as a new member. The second she was "found out" (which would happen eventually) she would be unceremoniously booted and people would probably be pretty angry at her. It would probably be a humiliating experience for the PNM, but really, anyone who has been initiated into one NPC group should know better.
you'd be surprised how many girls don't know that once you're initiated into an NPC group you can't join any others. i've had a couple girls telling me that after they transferred to another school they were going to rush, not because they were trying to be sneaky, but because they simply didn't know.

i think a lot of girls/chapters just think that it pertains to that campus, and that if you go to another school without your sorority then it's ok to join another.

"We are who we pretend to be." - Kurt Vonnegut
Old 10-12-2006, 11:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1987girl View Post
Why, bless your heart, you aren't implying that your "friend" would be deceitful, are you? I do declare that no proper young lady would behave in such a fashion.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Amen. And I can't imagine someone doing such a thing and then not opening up to her new sisters and letting something slip, at some point, at which time memberships in both organizations would be cancelled and the chapter would be divided-- surely no sane person would want to LIE and cause such a RIFT?
Old 06-13-2007, 05:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Personally, i think its really stupid that if you transfer to a different school that doesnt have ur sorority you cant rush another one. Its not like were going to tell the new sorority all of the secrets of the old one we were in. In fact why would anyone care to anyways? its really pointless. I think it should be allowed just as long as you really dont tell other people you were once part of another sorority or talk about the other sorority in general.

I am trying to transfer to a new school, but unfortunatly (with out knowning) my sorority doesnt like to colonize chapters at BIG schools which is what i am aimin to transfer to. So now basically, i have VERY limited choices of where i can transfer to and its down right not fair. I love being in a sorority, and i would never want to leave one, but i think its gay that i now cant join a new one. I was actually just thinking of not telling anyone and just go through rush again.

and if people in ur sorority are going to disown you because u went to a new one, then they are very low people, and they dont qualify as a true friend.

ok i vented my fustration
Old 06-13-2007, 06:04 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilxcutie88 View Post
Personally, i think its really stupid that if you transfer to a different school that doesnt have ur sorority you cant rush another one. Its not like were going to tell the new sorority all of the secrets of the old one we were in. In fact why would anyone care to anyways? its really pointless. I think it should be allowed just as long as you really dont tell other people you were once part of another sorority or talk about the other sorority in general.

I am trying to transfer to a new school, but unfortunatly (with out knowning) my sorority doesnt like to colonize chapters at BIG schools which is what i am aimin to transfer to. So now basically, i have VERY limited choices of where i can transfer to and its down right not fair. I love being in a sorority, and i would never want to leave one, but i think its gay that i now cant join a new one. I was actually just thinking of not telling anyone and just go through rush again.

and if people in ur sorority are going to disown you because u went to a new one, then they are very low people, and they dont qualify as a true friend.

ok i vented my fustration
I pity organization that got this rotten apple.

If you don't want to honor an NPC Unanimous Agreement, then maybe you shouldn't be in an NPC organization.

College is only for a few short years and I've had more fun as an alum member than I ever did as a collegian. I wouldn't throw away this sisterhood just because they're not at the school you want to transfer to.

Now that's gay.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilxcutie88 View Post
And if a member of a sorority is going to "not talk about [her] sorority," completely forget about it, act as if she were never a part of it, and attempt to join a new sorority, then she is a very low person, and she doesn't qualify as a true sister.

Also, why WOULDN'T your sisters want to disown YOU since it's so easy for you to just forget about them and pretend you weren't a part of their sisterhood?

Old 06-13-2007, 09:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, there might be some opportunities, depending on where lilxcutie transfers. In her post she didn't give the name of "what i am aimin to transfer to."

For instance, if she is transferring to Dartmouth, there are at least three local sororities there that wouldn't necessarily be bound by NPC agreements.

If she is transferring to Harvard, the scene there still, I believe, has some "final clubs" for women. Those also wouln't have to follow NPC rules. (A possible glitch is that as I understand it, a woman can't just sign up to "rush" a final club - the club must invite her.)

At Yale, if she's transferring there, it's possible that a wait might be needed. The NPC sororities wouldn't be able to take her, but the senior secret societies would -- at least the ones that tap women as well as men. One conceivable drawback there is that at least some of the secret socieites only take a strictly limited number of members each year -- fifteen for Skull and Bones, and a similar number for Wolf's Head, I think. Also, of course, they are for seniors.

If she's transferring to Princeton, that cmapus has eating clubs. Again, the NPC sororities couldn't take her, but one of the clubs might. Some of the clubs are pretty selective, choosing members through a sort-of-rush-like process they call "bicker." Others, I believe, are more "open" in membership.

Let's see: at Case Western Reserve, if that's where she transfers, I think there's at least one local sorority.

Admittedly, there's no way of knowing whether lilxcutie woould consider any of the above to be among the "BIG' schools she referred to.

Last edited by exlurker; 06-13-2007 at 09:31 PM.
Closed Thread