GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,377
0 members and 1,377 guests
No Members online

Old 05-22-2003, 01:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to GMUBunny Send a message via Yahoo to GMUBunny
At our school, the pnm's are told to wear anything but black. I think all the girls at our pref last year wore something light. One girl even had a cute sun dress with cherries on it, so we all remembered her easily. At GMU, pref is a sea of sisters dressed in black, except AOPi wearing red. I guess put me down as another 'no black' vote.

Proud mommy of Tiernan Vincent 8-8-05 and Gwendolyn Iona 12-13-07!
Old 05-22-2003, 02:01 PM
GreekChat Member

To play devil's advocate here ... the sisters should know who each other are, so it's not as if they won't notice that you're a rushee. And if you're in black you "look like a sister," which may make it easier for them to picture you as one.
Old 05-22-2003, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

AXOAlum,with my luck, I would've innocently worn the wrong colored scarf and sent the wrong message.

Last year we got this gorgeous sapphire blue dress for Ballerina but at the last minute she chickened out about being different and went out and bought a black one. BlazerCheer's was black with a small red cowl...it was an Express dress, maybe some of you saw that style last year. I just didn't want them in unrelieved black like a couple of little widows!
Old 05-22-2003, 04:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by carnation
AXOAlum,with my luck, I would've innocently worn the wrong colored scarf and sent the wrong message.

Last year we got this gorgeous sapphire blue dress for Ballerina but at the last minute she chickened out about being different and went out and bought a black one. BlazerCheer's was black with a small red cowl...it was an Express dress, maybe some of you saw that style last year. I just didn't want them in unrelieved black like a couple of little widows!
No you wouldn't have -- recruitment was about a month after the start of fall semester, and you KNEW what the deal was...if there was a question, the PX would have told you. Like I said - it was really messed up!!

LOL -- stupid me! I thought you said BlazerCheer wore a black dress with a small red OWL -- hahaha!! I thought - hmm... wonder who she was trying to impress?! hahahah!!

See what lack of sleep does for a body?!

The dress sounds gorgeous now that I have read your description correctly!

edited to add: Fuzzie - that's what I was trying to say! Thanks for putting it short and sweet
Old 05-22-2003, 07:41 PM
GreekChat Member

You have all made me considerably happy...

I've been rearranging outfits all week. I dropped my summer class, so all I have to do other than work and church and the drastically reduced social life since everyone is out of town is plan my rush outfits.

I too thought Carnation said OWL....

Crystal
Old 05-22-2003, 10:32 PM
Super Moderator

ROTFLMBO!!!! I can not even imagine the Chi Omegas' shock if someone came to prefs wearing an owl!!!!!!
Old 05-22-2003, 10:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I know a girl who actually told one of the Chi Omegas during rush that their letters would look really good on her, but only if they were in different colors. An oh, by the way, why didn't they have a CUTE mascot? I absolutely CRINGED when she told me that. She didn't have to worry about wearing black or owls either one to their pref - she wasn't invited.
Old 05-22-2003, 11:25 PM
GreekChat Member

"why didn't they have a cute mascot?"

hee! I always think it's funny when girls judge a SISTERHOOD on colors and mascots. I know if I wasn't fond of sailing I would have never have become a Tri Sigma (JK) . Besides, soroities choose their mascots or symbols based on qualities or significance they want it to have for them. I would much rather have an owl for a mascot because of it's reputation for being wise (just an example) than a bunny just because it's cute!!!
(no one here has a bunny for a mascot do they?, if they do I'm sure that it has significance)
Old 05-23-2003, 12:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Let's just say that if sororities were chosen based on colors, I would not be a Gamma Phi. Your colors/symbols/etc really do grown on you though, because I'm starting to like the brown and mode, and AGDs like squirrels, etc...choose the sisters, you can work with the colors!
Old 05-23-2003, 10:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by trisigmaAtl
"why didn't they have a cute mascot?"

hee! I always think it's funny when girls judge a SISTERHOOD on colors and mascots. I know if I wasn't fond of sailing I would have never have become a Tri Sigma (JK) . Besides, soroities choose their mascots or symbols based on qualities or significance they want it to have for them. I would much rather have an owl for a mascot because of it's reputation for being wise (just an example) than a bunny just because it's cute!!!
(no one here has a bunny for a mascot do they?, if they do I'm sure that it has significance)
zeta tau alpha has the bunny mascot dont they?
Old 05-23-2003, 10:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KappaKittyCat
Umm... don't think so. Maybe that's just a local thing somewhere.
Old 05-23-2003, 10:39 AM
GreekChat Member

I think ZTA's bunny mascot isn't national, but it's not really local either -- a lot of chapters use it, although not all, and it's not official.
Old 05-23-2003, 11:02 AM
GreekChat Member

oh ok. i know of a number of chapters that have the bunny mascot.
Old 05-23-2003, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by GeekyPenguin
Let's just say that if sororities were chosen based on colors, I would not be a Gamma Phi. Your colors/symbols/etc really do grown on you though, because I'm starting to like the brown and mode, and AGDs like squirrels, etc...choose the sisters, you can work with the colors!
You are SO right! I wish I had a nickel for every pnm whose first question was about the colors! I seriously think that's why we rushed so much against Kappa! (blues)

I admit that I was very glad that ADPi had pastel colors, though. I imagine that, if Phi Mu had been on our campus, I would have liked them, too!

Another thing is the pin - the "symbol" pins like the key, the anchor, the quill, the arrow, etc - I think more pnms are enthralled with that, too.
Old 05-23-2003, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator

What was that thread--I think I started it --about ridiculous reasons you cut sororities? Like you didn't like their colors or their mascot sucked or they had too many nicknames? I was ROTFL about some of the reasons people gave!