GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Events

Events Is your organization hosting an Event or do you know about an upcoming Event and would like to get the word out? Post all Event related information here.


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 307,524
Threads: 114,737
Posts: 2,158,482
Welcome to our newest member, robertojnry7038
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 11-14-2011, 10:24 AM
southernbelle14 southernbelle14 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 75
Just adding something off topic here.

Do you all realize how hateful and mean spirited you sound? I am completely aware that I do not say everything in the nicest tone, but in general I do not start out completely attacking you. When I, or anyone for that matter, say anything that you do not agree with , the immediate response never seems to be to try debating it civilly. It turns to "oh so i guess you know everything don't you" or something along the lines of 33's comment.
There are girls who are reading this site who are not yet in sororities. They may be reading this at some point thinking "wow, so if i say something they don't like in a sorority, they're going to completely attack me." And what makes it worse is that many of these comments are coming from alums. Grown ass women who should know better and have the patience and decency to at least be civil about everything.
I am 20 years old. I'm a college student who is still trying to figure everything out. I am not the most patient person in the world, nor the most polite. But I have throughout my life improved in both areas. I see what people on this site post to me and to others and it is extremely disheartening. I begin to wonder if it was a good decision to get involved in the greek community. Maybe all the movies about sorority women are right? Maybe they are all dramatic and hateful and never grow out of it.
If I said something in a rude way and someone was to respond politely pointing out that I came across as rude, I would absolutely, without hesitation, respond in an equally polite way and apologize profusely for appearing rude.
None of you know me, and my general way of speaking and my bluntness can seem rude over a computer when it would seem more light hearted in person. I don't even notice it most of the time, so if it is pointed out nicely I will fix it.
Maybe someone will respond accordingly next time they are offended by someone's post.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 11-14-2011, 10:26 AM
knight_shadow knight_shadow is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 14,120
__________________
*does side bends and sit-ups*
*doesn't lose butt*

Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 11-14-2011, 10:53 AM
ASTalumna06 ASTalumna06 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Oahu, Hawaii
Posts: 5,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbelle14 View Post
Well, no. I do, however, have an idea of what the average college guy wants, though. If you all want to live in a fantasy world where you believe guys between the ages of 18 and 22 care as much as you do about mixers and date parties then you go right ahead. And maybe some do. But I can tell you that around here, and at every school my friends go to, they put a hell of a lot more effort into their normal Friday and Saturday night "frat parties" than they do to either of the others. Maybe the sample I'm going from is completely wrong though. I mean, ztamazing, don't listen to the girl who is actually in college, it's probably better to listen to the women who have been out of college for at least a few years.
Sorry if I offended you, ladies. I just call them like I see them.
Yes, don't listen to us.. Alumnae don't know anything.



Not putting in as much effort for mixers =/= not caring at all. And again, maybe at your school (and even the ones your friends attend) things are different. But I highly doubt you have at least 1 friend in every Greek system across the country, so please don't speak for everyone.
__________________
I believe in the values of friendship and fidelity to purpose

@~/~~~~
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 11-14-2011, 11:26 AM
ASTalumna06 ASTalumna06 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Oahu, Hawaii
Posts: 5,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbelle14 View Post
Just adding something off topic here.

Do you all realize how hateful and mean spirited you sound? I am completely aware that I do not say everything in the nicest tone, but in general I do not start out completely attacking you. When I, or anyone for that matter, say anything that you do not agree with , the immediate response never seems to be to try debating it civilly. It turns to "oh so i guess you know everything don't you" or something along the lines of 33's comment.
There are girls who are reading this site who are not yet in sororities. They may be reading this at some point thinking "wow, so if i say something they don't like in a sorority, they're going to completely attack me." And what makes it worse is that many of these comments are coming from alums. Grown ass women who should know better and have the patience and decency to at least be civil about everything.
I am 20 years old. I'm a college student who is still trying to figure everything out. I am not the most patient person in the world, nor the most polite. But I have throughout my life improved in both areas. I see what people on this site post to me and to others and it is extremely disheartening. I begin to wonder if it was a good decision to get involved in the greek community. Maybe all the movies about sorority women are right? Maybe they are all dramatic and hateful and never grow out of it.
If I said something in a rude way and someone was to respond politely pointing out that I came across as rude, I would absolutely, without hesitation, respond in an equally polite way and apologize profusely for appearing rude.
None of you know me, and my general way of speaking and my bluntness can seem rude over a computer when it would seem more light hearted in person. I don't even notice it most of the time, so if it is pointed out nicely I will fix it.
Maybe someone will respond accordingly next time they are offended by someone's post.
You said all guys don't care about mixers. A couple people told you that's not true everywhere. Then you said you know what "average college guys" want and said we live in a fantasy world, and continued to try and justify the fact that what applies at your school (and the ones your friends attend) applies everywhere.

And WE'RE the mean ones.. O..k...
__________________
I believe in the values of friendship and fidelity to purpose

@~/~~~~
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 11-14-2011, 11:58 AM
melindawarren melindawarren is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Torchwood Three
Posts: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbelle14 View Post
Well, no. I do, however, have an idea of what the average college guy wants, though. If you all want to live in a fantasy world where you believe guys between the ages of 18 and 22 care as much as you do about mixers and date parties then you go right ahead. And maybe some do. But I can tell you that around here, and at every school my friends go to, they put a hell of a lot more effort into their normal Friday and Saturday night "frat parties" than they do to either of the others. Maybe the sample I'm going from is completely wrong though. I mean, ztamazing, don't listen to the girl who is actually in college, it's probably better to listen to the women who have been out of college for at least a few years.
Sorry if I offended you, ladies. I just call them like I see them.
Will you please quit this attitude? I get it-your campus does things a certain way, and you're incredibly closed-minded about the idea that things happen in other ways outside of the insular bubble you call "school." I'm sorry, but you're far from the only person around here who's a current/recent collegian. I'm pretty sure I can speak for what guys our age enjoy, too.

ZTAmazing, on MY campus, mixers are huge. The frats don't have that many "big" parties of their own, and since we have so many frats, they enjoy mixing with the sororities. The guys get really into it, actually, sometimes moreso than the girls.

[Heads up: my sorority has not had a date party since I joined, so I can't comment on those. If I understand correctly, you have to find a date and a costume? I can see why those would not be as enjoyable for guys. I'd love one because I'm a dress-up person, but I can't imagine guys getting quite as into those.]

How would I encourage girls to go to social events? I'm probably not a great person to ask, but I agree with the suggestion that you should ask girls what they want. Maybe you've been having them on a bad day or an inconvenient time (there is such a thing as a particularly inconvenient time-for example, if they're on weekdays at 6, maybe people are still in class). Maybe the location is not a place where girls feel comfortable (I know I'd freak if someone told me we were going to some locations-most of which are very near campus!). Of course, you can never please everyone, but maybe there are small tweaks you can make to make the event more attractive.

As for the junior class, find out what's keeping them from going. It may be something very changeable.

Finally, remember that you will never be able to please everybody, nor is their any way to guarantee 100% attendance at every event (you just can't. When you discuss attendance with girls, you'll hear some very legitimate reasons. For example, someone's job, IMO, takes precedence over social activities).
__________________

MelindaWarren aka Bellatrix Lestrange
Wanna follow me on Pinterest? PM me!
"It is our choices that show who we truly are, far more than our abilities."-Albus Dumbledore
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 11-14-2011, 01:14 PM
DeltaBetaBaby DeltaBetaBaby is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: ILL-INI
Posts: 7,176
Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by melindawarren View Post

[Heads up: my sorority has not had a date party since I joined, so I can't comment on those. If I understand correctly, you have to find a date and a costume? I can see why those would not be as enjoyable for guys. I'd love one because I'm a dress-up person, but I can't imagine guys getting quite as into those.]
Depends on the campus, obviously. My campus had a tradition of "pledge dances", wherein the new pledge class would throw an event shortly after initiation for the whole chapter. Both fraternities and sororities did them, and the level of participation in costumes and such usually depended on the theme. If the pledge class did a good job of picking a theme everyone liked and really hyping it up, the guys would go all-out as much as the girls. One of the best I ever attended was "Psi Up-Saloon", but c'mon, who can't find jeans and a cowboy hat? By contrast, my own pledge class did Ma-Phi-a, and guys aren't all that keen on wearing a suit to go out to a bar.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 11-14-2011, 01:43 PM
amIblue? amIblue? is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Shackled to my desk
Posts: 2,878
southernbelle14 - I think you may get the response you get on here because of your tone. I'm not sure you get how you may come across. Bear in mind that campus traditions vary from school to school.

Of course, the "I'm 20 and you're old" stuff doesn't help, either, but to your credit, you didn't start out that way.
__________________
Actually, amIblue? is a troublemaker. Go pick on her. --AZTheta
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 11-14-2011, 01:58 PM
southernbelle14 southernbelle14 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 75
Okay. My point in posting on this thread was that you all may be giving completely irrelevant advice. Say she's talking about normal fraternity weekend parties.
You're all like "schedule it on a different day," "ask what they want," etc.
The sorority has no say in these events.
Also, If no one had been like "oh so you know what every guy wants right?" or whatever, I wouldn't have gotten nearly as pissy. That being said, I think I overreacted to the response to my first post on this thread, so whoever that was (I forgot to look), I am very sorry. I was out of line.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 11-14-2011, 02:00 PM
southernbelle14 southernbelle14 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by amIblue? View Post
southernbelle14 - I think you may get the response you get on here because of your tone. I'm not sure you get how you may come across. Bear in mind that campus traditions vary from school to school.

Of course, the "I'm 20 and you're old" stuff doesn't help, either, but to your credit, you didn't start out that way.
lol yeah I definitely realize that I can come across as way harsher than I mean to because I have a rather aggressive, but joking/sarcastic kind of personality and no one can read that through a post. And I am sorry for that. I also tend to type things and not read over them before submitting so I don't tend to realize my tone. I'll work on doing better with that.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 11-14-2011, 02:21 PM
SydneyK SydneyK is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 2,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Just the title of this thread makes me sad. You can't get girls to go to SOCIAL events??? What are their excuses?
This is what I'm thinking. How sad! What are these ladies doing instead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbelle14 View Post
I think I overreacted to the response to my first post on this thread, so whoever that was (I forgot to look), I am very sorry. I was out of line.
It's good you're recognizing some things here, but it's kinda hard to take an apology seriously when the apologizer doesn't even know, or bother to find out, who she is apologizing to.
__________________
Never let the facts stand in the way of a good answer. -Tom Magliozzi
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 11-14-2011, 04:19 PM
lucgreek lucgreek is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 501
Lane swerve.

Speaking as a guy: At my campus, mixers were a blast and we all looked forward to them. If a sorority had sparse attendance at them, it definitely was not taken well and would influence the future of our mixers (no point in wasting money on a group that doesn't want to show up). We only had one incident of sparse attendance when I was an active, but it was due to a miscommunication on their part and resulted in a big apology from the sorority.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 11-14-2011, 08:43 PM
littleowl33 littleowl33 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by crescent&pearls View Post
I know it comes as a shocker but not everyone joins a sorority just so they can throw down beers with the bros.
This.

A lot of the posts in this thread just rub me the wrong way (and I'm not talking about the bickering). I certainly understand that it's important for a chapter to have good relations with other GLOs on campus, but I'm getting a vibe from a lot of these posts that having fun with your sisters is secondary to pleasing fraternity men in order to maintain your chapter's social standing on campus. I wouldn't be interested in joining a group for which that was the priority, and I sure as hell wouldn't have been pleased if I was required to attend certain social events in order to keep up appearances.

I never missed a sorority date party or formal as an undergrad, and was at almost every sisterhood event - I figured that's what a large portion of my dues go towards, so why skip it? But I wouldn't begrudge someone who didn't go because it just wasn't her scene, or because she had work to do. And personally, I did skip a large portion of the mixers because they were just a matter of hanging out in a frat basement getting drunk. A) I don't drink, and B) I had (and have) a LTR with a guy in another fraternity and at least at my school, a big part of mixers WAS hooking up, so that wasn't something I was interested in.

So, back to the OP - I like the suggestion someone made that if a sister votes "Yes" to a social event, she is committed to being there. I would also offer a recommendation that one of our LCs made to us, which is to really reassess what sisters want to spend time and dues/money doing. We used to do a standard semester of 2 semi-formal date parties and 1 formal because that's what we thought we were supposed to do, and attendance wasn't fantastic. After digging a little deeper we tried mixing things up, with good results. We tried costume/themed date parties, which continue to be a big hit, and also tried some more fun, less formal venues. We also tried forgoing some date parties and using the funds for events for people who didn't just want to dance or drink - like laser tag, Six Flags, etc. We also experimented with some date dashes and having your sisters pick your date, both of which were miserable failures. Live and learn.

So, maybe try doing a secret ballot to see why people aren't interested in going to socials, and ask each girl to recommend 3 activities she'd like to do instead. Think outside the box - it's ok to do something low-key, off-beat and sans-alcohol, if that's what sisters want.

I come from a chapter that struggled with our campus image in the past, and having tons of formulaic social events no one goes to is not going to help anything. It's also likely to damage morale and your sisterhood if you base a sister's value on how "good" she makes the chapter look. Work on strengthening your sisterhood so that sisters actually want to go do things together, and the rest will follow. No one wants to hang out with or join a sorority in which no one seems to have any fun together.


TL; DR - Sisterhood and social activities shouldn't be dictated by what fraternities want or how you can better your image - that's not why anyone joins a sorority. Find out what your dues-paying members WOULD turn up for and do it.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 11-15-2011, 12:28 AM
33girl 33girl is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Hotel Oceanview
Posts: 33,596
Things will never change if the people who DO want something other than a hookup fest (like maybe meeting new friends of the opposite sex - wow what a wild concept) continually avoid mixers. Be the change you want to see. Plus this isn't about men & women- it's about honoring a commitment.
__________________
It is all 33girl's fault. ~DrPhil
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 11-15-2011, 11:07 AM
Psi U MC Vito Psi U MC Vito is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: nasty and inebriated
Posts: 5,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
"Psi Up-Saloon",
That is awesome.
/laneswerve
__________________
And he took a cup of coffee and gave thanks to God for it, saying, 'Each of you drink from it. This is my caffeine, which gives life.'
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 11-15-2011, 11:42 AM
DeltaBetaBaby DeltaBetaBaby is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: ILL-INI
Posts: 7,176
Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
That is awesome.
/laneswerve
It was. Obviously, everyone tried to put their letters into their theme, somehow, and that was a really good one. Other times, they were really shoe-horned in. I think my senior year, our pledge dance was something like "Mu-rdi Gras".
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Recruitment Social Events CUBETA189 Fraternity Recruitment 1 12-04-2009 09:52 PM
New Social Events? MissLadyMoTheta Kappa Alpha Theta 1 05-23-2007 10:56 AM
Social, Sisterhood, etc... Events xonikki Chi Omega 3 08-11-2004 03:00 PM
Social Events LGoddess27 Sigma Phi Epsilon 0 12-06-2001 01:27 AM
Social Events wholelotta Lambda Chi Alpha 5 07-03-2001 08:25 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.