GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Alumnae Initiation

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,234
2 members and 1,232 guests
JayhawkAOII

Old 05-06-2017, 12:52 PM
GreekChat Member

AI Questions: Skype Sponsor?

Hi there.

I am interested in joining a sorority as an alumnae initiate. I'm from Canada, so the chances of an NPC sorority at your school of choice (I will be graduating from a specialized college), is very slim.

I reached out to NPC to inquire about any possible options for myself, and they told me about the alumnae initiate program and to reach out to any sororities of interest regarding this.

I've been doing research on different sororities since I was in the 7th grade (I am 21 now), so I have a little bit of understanding about what a few of the 26 NOC sororities have to offer (not 100% saying I'd be compatible, but still!). I reached out to my few of choice, and heard back from my #1 who said they'd be happy to help me with the process. I have a "sponsor" from the alumni association in my town, however, since all the chapters around me have closed down for my unknown reasons, I do not have a single person to act as my personal sponsor/big. Do you think this will affect affect experience in this sorority?

I am fully aware that the collegiate experience is very different from the alumnae experience, however, with having no other options to join an NPC sorority, this is my last shot.

I am moving to the USA within the next year or so, so locating chapters will be easier to volunteer with etc, however, I am curious to know if any sorority members (just in general) are willing to take on an individual as a metaphorical sponsor? I just want to see if I'm fully compatible with the kinds of individuals in my sorority of choice, and if they think I am as well. With being located in Ontario, places like New York, Michigan, and Ohio are fairly close, and I'd be more than willing to meet up with this said girl, or have Skype dates if outside this region, I just genuinely want to see if it's the right choice for me, and if I'm the right choice for the sorority.

You are all the sorority experts, and I want the honest answers on this!
Old 05-06-2017, 01:48 PM
GreekChat Member

What city/province are you located in? And which organisation is it? We need some more info to answer these questions!
Old 05-06-2017, 04:40 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm not really sure what you are asking. Perhaps it's our process that is making your question seem odd because with my group, whoever sponsor's you as an AI is the person who would shepherd you thru the entire process and "train" you. My main question would be how you would get initiated if you can't get to a collegiate chapter as all ours are initiated at a collegiate chapter. Perhaps your question is better directed to the group you've chosen.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctarz View Post
I have a "sponsor" from the alumni association in my town, however, since all the chapters around me have closed down for my unknown reasons, I do not have a single person to act as my personal sponsor/big. Do you think this will affect affect experience in this sorority?
I'm not sure I understand either. If you have a sponsor from the alumnae association in your town, they why would you need to reach out to other women? The person you referred to as your "sponsor" should be the "personal sponsor/big".

Now, if you're saying that you have an alumna sponsor, but the GLO also requires you to have a collegiate sponsor, then that should be handled by your alumna sponsor. Your alumna sponsor should be tracking down leads for which chapter and collegian will be signing off on your paperwork.

True and Constant
Old 05-07-2017, 12:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Cleared confusion!

As of right now, I am open to many different organizations (as I am not closing the doors on any opportunity that fits me and the organization best).

I'm still very new to this process so I apologize if I confused anyone! Basically because I am from the surrounding areas of Toronto, there are only a few sororities located at the University of Toronto (however I am not limiting myself just to their options). The Toronto Alumnae Association of one sorority who I reached out to, stated they could be my sponsor (but because they are an association, not an alumnae chapter, I believe I need a collegiate sponsor as well. Please correct me if I'm wrong).

I'm willing to travel to have a personal sponsor/big if that is required of me (because not all chapters are located in Toronto), however, I think I am catching on now that it is different within each sorority. My question was just wondering if personal sponsors/bigs could still be in the collegiate level, but be located somewhere else!
Old 05-07-2017, 01:40 PM
GreekChat Member

The only ones I know of in my org were alumnae not collegians. Since AI goes thru the alumnae group (chapter or association or hope group - doesn't matter which) it's only alumnae who participate in the process. The way it works for us is a sponsor and the candidate complete the paperwork and send to HQ. HQ then tells the local alumnae group they can vote on the woman. We vote and if approved, she is initiated at the nearest collegiate chapter at their next initiation. Don't know how others work it .
Old 05-07-2017, 01:52 PM
GreekChat Member

That was actually very helpful. I think that is a standard for a lot of sororities (that I've seen at least) and the way you stated it helped to break it down a bit! If you don't mind me asking, what organization are you apart of?
Old 05-07-2017, 07:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
That was actually very helpful. I think that is a standard for a lot of sororities (that I've seen at least) and the way you stated it helped to break it down a bit! If you don't mind me asking, what organization are you apart of?
Delta Gamma
Old 05-07-2017, 09:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
As of right now, I am open to many different organizations (as I am not closing the doors on any opportunity that fits me and the organization best).

I'm still very new to this process so I apologize if I confused anyone! Basically because I am from the surrounding areas of Toronto, there are only a few sororities located at the University of Toronto (however I am not limiting myself just to their options). The Toronto Alumnae Association of one sorority who I reached out to, stated they could be my sponsor (but because they are an association, not an alumnae chapter, I believe I need a collegiate sponsor as well. Please correct me if I'm wrong).

I'm willing to travel to have a personal sponsor/big if that is required of me (because not all chapters are located in Toronto), however, I think I am catching on now that it is different within each sorority. My question was just wondering if personal sponsors/bigs could still be in the collegiate level, but be located somewhere else!
Okay, U of T is a strong community! It all depends on the organisation. I can speak to Alpha Gamma Delta's policies/direct you to the right person, but not for another org.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:06 AM
Super Moderator

Most AIs have some sort of personal connection to the group with which they are seeking membership. They were briefly pledged to the group in college, have numerous relatives in that sorority, have a personal and ongoing relationship with the philanthropy of that sorority, etc. they are not shopping for the best deal.

You have been in contact with a group in your area that has offered to sponsor you. You would be able to participate in their activities, since they are near by. It sounds as if it would work. What is the hold up?
Old 05-08-2017, 08:42 AM
GreekChat Member

The other big question I would ask is, why not wait until you are in the US? While Toronto has a fair number of Greeks per capita for Canada, undoubtedly there would be more in the US. Something to think on.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdInCanada11 View Post
Okay, U of T is a strong community! It all depends on the organisation. I can speak to Alpha Gamma Delta's policies/direct you to the right person, but not for another org.
I would really appreciate that!
Old 05-08-2017, 09:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
Most AIs have some sort of personal connection to the group with which they are seeking membership. They were briefly pledged to the group in college, have numerous relatives in that sorority, have a personal and ongoing relationship with the philanthropy of that sorority, etc. they are not shopping for the best deal.

You have been in contact with a group in your area that has offered to sponsor you. You would be able to participate in their activities, since they are near by. It sounds as if it would work. What is the hold up?
I am by no means shopping for the best deal I promise! I just want to see if there's anywhere I belong.

With the group that has contacted me, because they are an association they are not the group in which is doing the alumnae initiation, the alumnae chapter is. They however have not gotten back to me.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdInCanada11 View Post
The other big question I would ask is, why not wait until you are in the US? While Toronto has a fair number of Greeks per capita for Canada, undoubtedly there would be more in the US. Something to think on.
Honestly I think I might. I'm still very young and would like to give my everything to the sorority that I Initiate to.
Old 05-08-2017, 01:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Ok, so do I understand correctly that the organization you are currently referencing has alumnae associations and alumnae chapters and only the alumnae chapter can sponsor an initiate? In this case, my original answer remains the same - the women at the alumnae association should be handling the logistics for you on contacting their sisters at the nearest alumnae chapter to help put you through.

Does a sponsor have to live near you? Not necessarily - but it depends on the sorority. I am an alumnae initiate and my big sister lives on the other side of the country. Though, she and I were known to each other before she approached me and asked me if I would consider Gamma Phi Beta. So, it's not as if I randomly put out ads looking for any sister in the U.S. who would sponsor me.

Also, there is at least one sorority that I know of that allows their alumnae chapter to directly perform the initiation ritual for an AI. However, most sororities appear to require that the candidate be sponsored by the alumnae chapter, but initiated into a collegiate chapter (which performs the ritual). Again, your sponsors should be navigating this with you or for you.

I am curious about the statement you made at the beginning when you said you wanted to see if you are "...compatible with the kinds of individuals in my sorority of choice". So, you have one particular sorority in mind already? Is it the same one which has already indicated a positive interest?

I agree, too, that it may be better to wait until you move to the U.S. as alumna initiation can take quite some time and having to switch from one alumnae chapter to another, etc, might be too awkward.

Finally, I would caution you a little bit about leading on too many sororities on at one time. If one is currently interested in considering you for AI, please don't string them along while you consider other options. If someone has actually extended you an invitation to membership, please accept or decline ASAP.

True and Constant