GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,338
2 members and 1,336 guests
LaneSig

Old 01-06-2001, 03:07 AM

Question Legend or truth?

Okay this may belong in the Greek Life forum but it's kind of iffy. Basically I need something to keep my mind off my stupid guy friend so I'm trying to come up w/ lots of posts.

We all know, or at least have surmised from a lot of posts on here that DST was started by women who were orginally in AKA. Now from things I've heard about other sororities, they are certainly not the only ones to have this happen. For instance I was once told by a Theta that one of the founders of Kappa was orginally going to be a Theta or start a chapter at Monmouth (something along that line). And so now there's a big ole rivalry between them. Has anyone else heard that? Is there a shread of truth to it?

Also I've been told that one of Tri Sigma's founders had been a Sigma Kappa or was denied membership to SK. Supposedly this explains all their similarities. And now they too have a big national rivalry. Since there isn't a single SSS chapter in San Diego this is another rumor that I can't really verify.

So if anyone knows if these are true, or know of other sororities that split from another, please share what you know. The truth is out there.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-06-2001, 10:53 PM

Hi SoCalGirl...

I'm Sigma Kappa and I had heard the same thing about SSS. I was told that their letters stood for Seven Sorrowful Sisters. I only write that because I'm pretty positive that it's not true. Besides, after some investigating I found that SSS had eight founders, so that can't be right.

I hope this doesn't offend anyone. I only wrote this because I really don't think it's true. It's probably something someone made up just to be silly.

I too am interested in any information regarding this topic.
Old 01-07-2001, 07:50 PM

Cool

SoCalGirl -

Since Tri-Sig was founded at Longwood, the only way I would give that story any credence would be if SK had a chapter at Longwood at the time, which they didn't. And I don't think that there was a lot of transferring between schools in those days. Although their pins do look a lot alike (but all the pins of the "Farmville Four" do too, for that matter).

Interesting theories, though.

p.s. Boys suck. (the nice boys on this board being exceptions)
Old 01-29-2001, 02:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Look over your shoulder, I could be right behind ya!
As a Tri Sigma, I can vouch for the fact that this is not true. Our founding story is much more interesting that that!!!
Old 01-29-2001, 01:13 PM

Sigma was founded a year after KD at longwood college nothing to do with the topic though
Old 01-30-2001, 12:00 AM
GreekChat Member

SDT was founded because the other sororities at Cornell refused membership to the founders because they (the founders) were Jewish. So not a split but definitly a cause for a new organization.