GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Community Service / Philanthropy

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 858
1 members and 857 guests
babobygooglet93

Old 08-26-2002, 10:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Craft ideas?

Sorry for the vague, and quite honestly weak subject title.

Anyway I'm trying to come up with an idea for a part of philanthropy.

We "partnered" with a local elementary school a couple of years ago creating a mentor program and cause which we have given to generously in the past year. I think we probably gave close to $3000 last year, through our taco feed philanthropy and the first annual Beta Bash.

Beta bash last year was simply an auction for a masquerade ball social and a dinner served by the men of Beta, and this year we are wanting to expand it to make the sororities get a little bit more excited about it - making it more a week long event, but without the subjectionality or the triviality of things like Paddy Murphy and Derby Days done here at Nebraska (I don't see how Children's Miracle Network is directly benefitted by finding out which sorority can cram the most girls in a van). One idea I had was to have part of the competition be having the sororities make things for the students at the school...small items that could be easily made, but that would take a little time to complete, and that could be a really nice donation to the school.

I know that at some schools, sorority rush includes a philanthropy day in which the PNM's make gifts similar to what I'm talking about. What have you done/ seen done, or what is your original idea?
Old 08-27-2002, 08:44 AM
GreekChat Member

I have to say that as a first and second grade teacher, I am very impressed that you bring your philanthropy to the local level and help a local elementary school. Community involvement is something that we struggle with at the school in which I teach.

If the school is on or very close to your campus, could you involve the Greek community in donating time to the school. Many schools host a "Love to Read" week in which they invite members from the community to come and read a favorite book to a class in the school. This helps show the students that reading is cool and that all kinds of people read for fun.

If you are determined that you would like the chapters to make something that could be donated to the school, you might want to consider making original books on tape. Children, especially those at the elementary level, love to listen to a tape of a story as they read along in the book. I know that the books on tape in my classroom that were created by local high school students or volunteers in the community are much more popular with my students than the ones that I buy at the bookstore.

I am sorry for the long post, but I really think that this is such a great thing you are doing for the children in your community.
Old 10-27-2002, 12:46 PM
GreekChat Member

ok, i am a little late, but i have some ideas that may be useful.
i am a preschool teacher in an early childhood center. we are always looking for good educational toys, puzzles, arts and crafts materials, etc. maybe instead of creating crafts, you can have a collection of construction paper, beads, craft foam, pipe cleaners, etc. give the school in your community a call and see what things they might want.

i think the books on tape is a great idea. my kids LOVE to listen to books on tape. we also do a community reader day and the kids like that too.

a book collection would also be cool. the books could be added to the library or divided among the classrooms.

or host a "help a teacher" week. students could go to the local schools and help teachers put up bulletin boards, photocopy papers, cut out materials, etc. teachers are always looking for volunteers!

good luck with your project!
Old 11-04-2002, 01:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Question

How is your project going? Do you still need ideas?
Old 11-14-2002, 12:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, it was decided that we would not continue Beta Bash for this year. I was planning on bringing it back next fall, had I been elected to philanthropy chairman but unfortunetly that did not happen.

I will remember these though and I may try to run again for Philanthropy next year.