GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,044
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, NikiMussen
» Online Users: 1,645
0 members and 1,645 guests
No Members online

Old 08-27-2014, 01:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Day 4 – Preference Night
2 parties of an hour each

There was no phone call or knock, so I knew I had at least one invitation this day. A.M. gave us our lists at 8:30 this morning and I was happy to see
England
Finland

I figured after my disastrous conversation on 5-party day that Germany would cut me, but I was still okay with the two chapters I had left. I had enjoyed England since day 1 and Finland had been growing on me. We had all day to prepare ourselves for the parties since they didn't start until 6:30 that night, and according to my rush book, we had rush group activities for a few hours that afternoon. I wore a black, calf-length sleeveless fitted jersey knit dress with white piping around the neck, arms and under the bust. It was my graduation dress and it was dressy without being overly so (but still totally 1997).

My first party was Finland. The house was decorated in mostly white with touches of the sorority's color(s) and flower(s) here and there. I think the active members wore white dresses and they sang a couple songs. I don't remember much else other than I think maybe we had chocolate covered strawberries for our dessert (Pref was the only time you could eat something). I think the gal who preffed me was a bubbly member I'd talked to earlier in the week and I'm sure they had someone talk about what the chapter meant to them. It was nice, but obviously not particularly memorable for me. At our place there was a sorority symbol that we were to pick up and put in a bowl on our way out. I thought I would fit in at Finland, but I couldn't wait to see England.

Next I went to England. We entered in the formal living area where a member with a beautiful voice was singing a song about the sorority. I was paired with a member I'd talked to few times earlier. After about 20 minutes, we went downstairs where a room had been decorated with white tulle and Christmas lights, and low tables had been placed around the room with candles (we still used real candles back then), a mirror, confetti and sorority symbols. I think we had cheesecake here, and either the sorority's name or our name was written on the plate. The member whom I was paired with had the whole table rolling (there were 6-8 of us around a table) with a story about how she'd almost set her hair on fire the previous year as a rushee. After eating, they had a member from each pledge class get up and share a touching story of what the chapter meant to them, plus the President and Rush chair spoke. There were lots of tears, from rushees and members alike, and it was very moving. At the end of the party, the rushees were to pick up the sorority symbol off the table and drop it into a “wishing well” before leaving the house while other active members quietly sang sorority songs. It just felt right, and I knew I wanted to be a part of this chapter.

After the last party, rushees were told to go to the Memorial Union to talk to a Rho Chi and fill out and sign her pref card. I met up with S and K while we were there and while we adhered to the strict silence rule while in the MU, afterwards talk was free game. I didn't take too long filling out my card and listed (in order)
England
Finland

On our walk back to our dorm, S and K shared their decisions. S had gone to Finland and Netherlands (we were at opposite parties for Finland, though) and while she truly liked both chapters, felt Netherlands was her home. K visited Norway and Ireland and SIP'd Ireland. We couldn't wait for Bid Day!
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:29 PM
GreekChat Member

I dug through my box of college stuff this morning and found the pic I was thinking of! My pref outfit (I cut out S and K, but left my wannabe Meg Ryan hair in all it's glory ) Oh 18-year-old me. So young. So hopeful. So fashionably challenged.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:18 PM
GreekChat Member

This story is fabulous!!
Old 08-27-2014, 02:37 PM
GreekChat Member

You look adorable! And now I'm thinking about posting my story, but don't hold your breath.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 08-27-2014, 02:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Sigh, I wanted to be Meg Ryan so bad in the 90s! I didn't have the hair for it...alas. Loving your story. Happy that it has a Kappa ending!
Old 08-27-2014, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Bid Day!

I didn't receive a call in the morning, so I was safe. I also had to miss out on all the fun Bid Day festivities due to Marching Band camp commitments, which was a total bummer. It was after 5pm by the time I'd gotten back to my dorm room. My Rho Chi had left my envelope in my room, and I was thrilled to open it and read the words:

“The Delta Omicron chapter of Kappa Kappa Gamma cordially invites ISUKappa to become a member”

I'd gotten a bid to my first choice: England (and obviously my legacy chapter)! The actual opening of the bid was kind of anticlimactic since I didn't get to do any of the fun Bid Day activities with my new member class or the chapter – though I did go over to the house later that evening.

I do think missing out on Bid Day festivities had an impact on my relationship with my pledge class because it meant I was already behind getting to know everyone. We were a rather diverse pledge class, which can be good, but in our case led to a lot of clashing of personalities and formation of cliques and I was never really close to the majority of them. The gal who preffed me and told the hilarious story became my pledge mom. I moved into the house second semester of my freshman year and lived in until I graduated 3.5 years later. I was very active in the chapter and on campus, serving as a chapter officer and on Panhellenic Exec, along with Varieties Central Committee. I definitely had ups and downs my four years of college but I loved my chapter and my fraternity, even during the down times. Thanks to Facebook, I can keep in touch with most of my pledge class and the women who were in the house the same time I was (though, to be honest, I'm not super close with any of them anymore. Such is life.). I remain involved with Kappa (albeit not as much as I was 8 years ago; having three kids and moving an hour away from the closest chapter will do that) and love that my middle sister and I share the bonds of fraternity sisterhood. In fact, we're always messaging each other about cute owl or key things we find and will buy each other Kappa related items for birthdays.

S had a wonderful four years in her chapter of Netherlands and we keep in touch, albeit it minimally on Facebook and Instagram. K resigned from her chapter after two years, preferring to do her own thing. Again, we still keep in touch via Facebook and Instagram.

Thanks for letting me reminisce about my fab 90s rush! It may have not been perfect, but I ended up at the perfect place for me.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator

Loved your story!
Old 08-27-2014, 06:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you so much for sharing!
Old 08-27-2014, 08:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Great story, thanks for sharing!

Especially loved the fashion photos!
Old 08-28-2014, 04:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Hmmm… I *still* would love to look like Meg Ryan looked in the 90s. Am I stuck in a 15 year old fashion rut?

And I think you were adorable in your pref outfit, ISUKappa. Thanks for sharing your story.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to bluefish81
This story was awesome to read! I assure you I was a lot more of a fashion disaster during Rush '97 than you were, ISUKappa. A denim skort was involved. Ugh, WTH? I'm impressed you still have your book from then. Mine was lost many moves ago.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefish81 View Post
This story was awesome to read! I assure you I was a lot more of a fashion disaster during Rush '97 than you were, ISUKappa. A denim skort was involved. Ugh, WTH? I'm impressed you still have your book from then. Mine was lost many moves ago.
I was hoping you'd read this! Could you figure out the code of the chapters?

Ha! Denim skorts. I remember wearing those that summer before college. And I had two pairs of overalls that were in frequent rotation.

You know what else I found? The "New Faces" book that Phi Kappa Theta would put together of the new pledge classes from each chapter on campus. That thing is a riot to look through!
Old 09-11-2014, 02:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to bluefish81
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISUKappa View Post
I was hoping you'd read this! Could you figure out the code of the chapters?

Ha! Denim skorts. I remember wearing those that summer before college. And I had two pairs of overalls that were in frequent rotation.

You know what else I found? The "New Faces" book that Phi Kappa Theta would put together of the new pledge classes from each chapter on campus. That thing is a riot to look through!
Yes! I figured out the code. I can't believe it's been 17 years and I can still remember who had what themes on 15 party day. That train song - I was not a fan.

My husband looks at pics from me in college and makes fun of the overalls.

I do still have my "New Faces" book. I found that a few months ago when I was looking for a photo. Hilarious!
Old 09-11-2014, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator

Loved your story!! And I thought you were adorable and very Meg Ryan-ish. I visited your campus years ago when the world Odyssey of the Mind competition was held at ISU. I snuck away during some down time to look at the sorority houses (a hobby of mine) and thought they were all so pretty. Loved the soft, soft grass-so different from our tough, hardy grass down here, and the Memorial Union area was beautiful! On top of that the ISU employees were ALL so friendly and helpful, as were the Ameians-Ameites? A great experience for us.