GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,675
0 members and 1,675 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZetaGirl22 View Post
Now I really dont know about either of these schools specifically, but I do know generally that if you are a transfer going through recruitment, chapters will usually consider your college GPA, not your HS one.
agree!
Old 12-31-2009, 07:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Are you in Missouri right now? If so, you may be able to network through that connection...Missouri has several alumnae associations in major regions that would be helpful for recs.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parfait View Post
I'm looking at a few schools as a transfer student (going in as a sophomore) for Fall 2010 and was curious about the Greek Life at two schools as to how competitive they are and proper dress for recruitment as their websites don't really go into it.

The schools are Drury University in Springfield, MO and Northwest Missouri State.
I keep looking on their websites but they really don't go into appropriate attire and I really didn't expect them to talk about how competitive recruitment is. Also for these schools, how important are recs? I'm not sure I really know anyone in any of those sororities and I would feel a little awkward asking "Hey, were you in any of these sororities? Great! Can you write me a letter?" if I haven't seen them in over a year.

I'm looking at a few other schools out of state, but they don't seem to have greek life so I didn't really feel the need to mention them.

Thanks!

ETA: I tried searching for Northwest Missouri State but wasn't finding any info. I'm still searching on Drury.

As a general rule, I would go into recruitment at any school with the assumption it is competitive and thus dress to impress (take a shower, fix your hair, wear make up like you would to a job interview, dress cute and conservatively--clean clothes, no excess clevage, no bra straps showing, no underwear showing, etc.) and get recommendations to all the chapters if you can. Treat it like a job interview. They are selling you their "company" the same as you are selling yourself to be invited to come back for "further interviews" and ultimately to "get hired."

Recommendations may not always be required to receive a bid nor may they always be critical, but they certainly will never hurt you.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThetaPrincess24 View Post
As a general rule, I would go into recruitment at any school with the assumption it is competitive and thus dress to impress (take a shower, fix your hair, wear make up like you would to a job interview, dress cute and conservatively--clean clothes, no excess clevage, no bra straps showing, no underwear showing, etc.)
Bolding mine - why wouldn't someone take a shower?!
Another question - would perfume or body sprays be a "No" no matter what? I don't usually spritz more than 1-2 spritzes but I'm a little paranoid of it being overwhelming to people in a small space - I don't want to be suffocating people.

Thank you for the advice.

As far as I know I don't know anyone who could write me a rec and I'm certainly not comfortable asking strangers.

Last edited by Parfait; 02-13-2010 at 01:36 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-13-2010, 09:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Some people are allergic to perfume. As an active we were always told LOTS of deoderant (carry it with you and hand it to your rho chis, refresh between rounds) but NO perfume. You don't know what scent is going to bug / sicken your active so it's probably better to avoid it. Plus there are going to be so many other girls crammed in the same room, too many scents can be overwhelming.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:32 AM

The "no perfume" rules are for actives, not rushees, unless you're told differently at your rush orientation meetings.

As someone who feels naked if she doesn't wear some sort of scent - I honestly don't think 1-2 spritzes of after-bath body spray (not cologne or perfume) is going to hurt. No heavy musky or flowery scents - green or LIGHT lemon is better. It'll probably wear off in 2.5 seconds, but I totally understand the psychological thing of needing to feel "done" and feeling completely off your game if you skip a step.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:55 AM
GreekChat Member

I really, really want to encourage you to get in touch with an alumnae panhellenic group in your area. These schools are not considered competitive but it is always good to make contact with an alumnae group.
Old 02-13-2010, 02:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parfait View Post
As far as I know I don't know anyone who could write me a rec and I'm certainly not comfortable asking strangers.

As gee_ess mentioned, if you don't personally know someone who can write a rec for you, you really should check out a panhellenic alumnae group near you. No, you don't know those women, but they should be perfectly happy to help you out. Many young women who go off to college don't know people who can write recs for them, and one of the things the local panhellenics do is help young ladies in that situation.

At this link, you should be able to find an alumnae panhellenic group somewhere in your area: http://www.npcwomen.org/alumnae-panh...directory.aspx
Old 03-01-2010, 12:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you for that link, it was full of information and answered questions I didn't realize I had.

Unfortunately there were no links in my area, or even my state. There was a listing but I couldn't follow a link or search it. Oh well, I'm not really shy but it just seems kind of wrong to go "Hi! You don't know me will you write me a rec please?"

I mentioned greek life to a few of my instructors and got either confused looks or "WHY would you want your grades to suffer as you drank your tuition away?!" which I thought the latter was a bit rude, but whatever, that's their problem. One woman was really nice and I'm starting to wonder if recs are hopeless.

Also I know someone PMed me but I accidentally deleted it. I believe it was gee_ess. I'm sorry about that.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Parfait, I just PM'd you with some info (but I wasn't the one you deleted before).
Old 03-02-2010, 09:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Parfait - It may have been me that Pm'd you, but I evidently deleted it! I think I remember the conversation though.

You need to email (or call)the npc.org link provided above and ask for the contact person in St Louis, Kansas City, or Springfield. There may not have been a link on the website for those specific orgs, but by contacting the npc website directly, you will reach the right person.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:13 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^^

So, are you, like, our own 'Gossip Girl'?
Old 03-12-2010, 05:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Redacted

Last edited by annabella; 03-12-2010 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Because Socksie McSockpuppet deleted her post
Old 03-12-2010, 07:38 PM

Did I miss something?
Old 03-12-2010, 08:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Did I miss something?
Just another brilliant, insightful and completely out-of-touch post from Brutally*Honest about her fancy "classy" friends. Which she seems to have deleted once called out.