GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,752
0 members and 1,752 guests
No Members online

Old 08-26-2014, 03:09 PM
GreekChat Member

ISUKappa's Retro Recruitment

I'm another one of those GCers who never thought they'd post their retro recruitment story, but after finding my old rush book (yes, it was still rush back then) and having a flood of memories come back (some good, some not-so-good), I figured what the heck. It'll at least help keep people entertained for a few days. Obvi, you already know the ending, but I don't know how much I've shared of the process.
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:10 PM
GreekChat Member

I matriculated at Iowa State University in the fall of 1997. I had never even considered attending any other college – my parents and both my older sisters had been Cyclones, and I'd been going to athletic events since before I was in Kindergarten. In fact, I never even applied anywhere else, despite my high school guidance counselor encouraging me to at least fill out applications for other schools such as Northwestern, Michigan and Notre Dame (I think my high school guidance counselor had a higher esteem for my academic abilities and motivation than I did). I took one look at the applications for the other schools, decided it was too much work, and stuck with my beloved Iowa State. In fact, due to the rules that were in effect at the time, I didn't even need to apply – my high school standing granted me automatic acceptance to any of the state universities.

Neither of my parents had been Greek during their time at Iowa State. My dad went to school mainly during the summer and winter quarters, when he could take a break from farm work, and my mother lived in the residence halls all four years of her schooling. My oldest sister was a charter member of the Phi Beta Chi chapter on campus and my middle sister had gone through rush at the encouragement of one of her older friends from high school. So I was an in-house legacy* to a housed chapter, plus an unhoused one. But I, being the stubborn, independent youngest sister, was determined to forge my own path.

My high school was on the smaller side. My graduating class had 100 members; you knew everyone and everyone knew you. It was extremely easy, and common, to be involved in a number of extracurricular activities. And so I was. Band, vocal, drama, speech, cheerleading, any number of clubs, 4H – I did them all, plus held down a part-time job as a waitress at a local restaurant and took a full load (meaning 2-3 AP courses and no study halls) of classes. I graduated third in my class (by the most narrow of margins) also held the title of my county's fair queen that summer. I wouldn't necessarily consider myself Patty Popular of my school (but I wasn't Helda Hideous) was intelligent, involved and committed and could talk to a brick wall if needed. Any chapter on campus would be proud to have me as a member, right?

So I sent in my information to sign up for rush and anxiously waited for August.

* Technically, I guess this isn't quite right - my sister was four years older than me, and had just graduated from her chapter that spring, so she was no longer in the house, but everyone in the house knew her, and by association, who I was.

Last edited by ISUKappa; 08-28-2014 at 02:50 PM.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Rush at Iowa State was held the week before classes started (as it still is). There were 15 chapters on campus in 1997:
Alpha Chi Omega
Alpha Delta Pi
Alpha Gamma Delta
Alpha Omicron Pi
Alpha Phi
Alpha Xi Delta
Chi Omega
Delta Delta Delta
Delta Zeta
Gamma Phi Beta
Kappa Alpha Theta
Kappa Delta
Kappa Kappa Gamma
Pi Beta Phi
Sigma Kappa

I'm not feeling particularly creative, so I'm naming them after European countries (and, sorry, no fancy color coding):
France
Germany
England
Scotland
Ireland
Greece
Belgium
Spain
Portugal
Italy
Denmark
Norway
Finland
Sweden
Netherlands

I think that year there were around 400 women going through rush and we were spread out in all the dorms on campus. I'd been in contact with my roommate earlier in the summer and knew she was going to rush as well. My parents (and high school boyfriend – who didn't last long after I started classes!) helped me move in and get situated before we had a rush group meeting. I think there were around 12 or so on our floor who were rushing and our Rho Chi (they were still called that back then) was a bubbly gal with crazy curly hair named A.M. (names changed to protect the innocent). According to my sweet '97 rush booklet, our rush group number was 18. We were paired with another Rho Chi group and walked around Greekland so the Rho Chis could show us the chapter houses so we hopefully wouldn't get too lost the next day before heading to a Rushee Rally in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union.

After the rally we headed back to our dorm where our Rho Chi would answer any questions we had. By the time we had settled down, figured out what we would wear the next day and gotten ready for bed, I'm sure it was after 11pm. Parties didn't start until 9am the next day, so we didn't have a super early morning, but nerves still made it difficult to sleep.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:32 PM
GreekChat Member

This is the sweet, sweet rush book we were given that year. It was kind of awkward (it was full 8.5x11 size) to carry around, but it had ample space for notes.

Old 08-26-2014, 04:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Loving it! Thanks for sharing!
Old 08-26-2014, 06:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Day 1 – 15 party day.
This was the longest day of rush. 15 parties of 20 minutes each spread out between 9:10 am and 8:00 pm with breaks for lunch and supper.

I am not positive on what I wore today. My rush book recommended “Casual – shorts, pants or sundress.” It was either white shorts and a lime green knit short-sleeved shirt or this lime green/turquoise floral sleeveless romper thing I got from Express. I have a feeling it was the second outfit and then chunky brown sandals (were there any other kind in 1997?). I had chopped my hair into a short, wannabe messy Meg Ryan style earlier in the summer (unfortunately, my hair does not do messy Meg Ryan, it does thin and flat) so I styled as best as I could and headed out. The first day your entire Rho Chi group goes to all the chapters in the same order, paired with another 1-2 groups.

I don't remember what order we visited the chapters the first day, so they're just going to be random. Some aspects of these parties I actually remember, some I'm just going on by the notes in my awesome rush book, so some may be more detailed than others. The first day was just a “getting to know you” day.

France: They had a neat, an unique house. According to my book, I have noted “nice girls” and “made picture frames.” France must not have made a major impression either way.

Germany: This house was closer to campus than some of the others. It was an older house, very stately. According to my book I have written down “nice,” “lots of involvement” and “Leadership!” (capitalized and underlined twice – apparently that was important to me!). I liked Germany.

England: Another chapter close to campus. They had a baseball theme and talked about their philanthropy. I also have “diversity” written in my book. I liked England as well.

Scotland: This chapter had a tropical paradise theme. I don't have much written down for this chapter, but there were a few girls from my hometown who were a year older than me in this chapter. I do remember talking about how members would get together and watch Days of Our Lives together during lunch. I think I was fairly neutral on this chapter.

Ireland: It wasn't as close to campus as some chapters. Another one where I don't have much written down, all I have is “cold airs” and “suckers.” Another neutral chapter.

Greece: This was one of the farthest chapters away from campus, but it had an inviting house. I figured walking to classes wouldn't be that bad if I had sisters to walk with, right? Some notes I had written down were they had both a house mom and house dad, each room had its own phone, there were two computers in the house, “NICE” (all caps and underlined twice), and various living situations. I really liked Greece and could see myself here.

Belgium: I have written down that this chapter sang songs and must have bumped a few times (I have “switched people”), nice, no cold airs and own phone. Another neutral chapter.

Spain: This chapter had an under the sea theme. The only other note I have is “various living arrangements” which probably meant the chapter had a combination of cold-air and in-room sleeping arrangements. I liked Spain but maybe not as much as Greece, England or Germany.

Portugal: The theme at this chapter was Red Hot. I also have that I talked to four girls. It was another chapter that was farther away from campus, but the house was stately and the girls seemed fun. I liked Portugal.

Italy: I have written down this chapter was “sporty.” No idea if that was the theme or if their members were involved in sports/intramurals. I also have “no cold airs!” and suites. Neutral on this chapter.

Denmark: I have written down that they had a music record theme, cold airs, pay for phone install and one computer. I also remember they had a lot of tie-dye shirts. The chapter house had previously been a church and they pointed out where the service area/alter was, etc... A little strange, but hey, when real estate is limited, you use what you can. Neutral on this chapter as well.

Norway. I have written down “roses” and different involvement. Don't remember much else. Neutral on this chapter.

Finland: I don't have much written down except “train song.” At the end of the party, before we were ushered out of the house, I remember the chapter playing “Ride the Train” by the Quad City DJs and the chapter members leading the PNMs around the first floor in like a conga line to usher us out the door. It wasn't necessarily my cup of tea, but another girl in my Rho Chi group loved it. A girl from my hometown who was two years older than me was a member of this chapter and she stopped by to say “hi.” I was okay on this chapter.

Sweden: I do remember this was one of the last – if not the last – party of the day and I think everyone was exhausted. I have written down “fiesta theme” “nice house” (underlined) and O.K. Conversation (where I think OK meant lots of awkward breaks and lapses). The house is one of the more unique ones in Greekland, though, and it was really pretty. Neutral due to conversation.

Netherlands: This chapter is somewhat close to campus. I have “flag football philanthropy” written down along with “nice – involved” “Varieties” (a musical competition) and “cold-airs” Okay on this chapter.

So ended day 1. With the exception of the lapses in conversation with Sweden (and in retrospect, I really think it was a combination of a new rusher and being one of the last parties, because I can seriously talk to a brick wall if you give me a topic) I enjoyed my time at all the chapters, but definitely could see myself in some more than others. According to my fabulous Rush Book, there was a Rushee/Rho Chi event at 9pm, but I don't remember what it was. Probably going out for ice cream or something similar. We had an early wakeup call the next day to get our chapter lists.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:46 PM
GreekChat Member

The kids are in bed and I don't feel like folding laundry, so why not provide another installation of my fab 90s rush!
Old 08-26-2014, 09:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Day 2 – 10 party day
10 parties of 30 minutes each

We had a 6am wake up call. This was way back before RFM, so our Rho Chis handed us a list of which chapters had invited us back and we told her which invitations we would accept. She took that information back to Panhel and we were given our schedule a few hours later. Our parties didn't start until 12:30 this day, so we at least had time to go back to sleep.

I mentioned that my roommate had also signed up to go through rush. She was a quieter, bookish person (we were both in the Honors Program and she was very nice and funny once she opened up but not one who would be able to present that side in 20 minutes). I got the feeling after the first day she thought maybe a sorority wasn't a good fit, and I believe she dropped out either on day 2 or 3 after seeing what invitations she had received. I was becoming better friends with two other girls on our floor (S and K) and we were comparing notes about the first day.

Anyway, back to me. My Rho Chi A.M. gave me my list and I was excited to see all 15 chapters had invited me back! I circled the 10 I would like to return to, and went back to bed.

I had accepted invitations back to:
Germany
England
Scotland
Greece
Belgium
Spain
Portugal
Norway
Finland
Netherlands

I was torn on whether to accept the invitation from Sweden or Norway, and asked my Rho Chi. She asked where I had felt more comfortable, and the awkward conversation at Sweden had really made an impression, so I ended up accepting the invitation from Norway. Again, in hindsight, I wish I would have given Sweden a second chance. But it is what it is.

The weather this day was cooler and drizzly. The What to Wear section in my book said “a nice outfit – feel free to wear shorts or pants, comfort is most important”. I chose a pair of dressy wide-leg tan pants, white button down and a floral scarf with cream mules. Yes, I honestly wore that. Looking back, it was WAY too dressy for that day, but it was an outfit I thought looked polished and confident in. I styled my Meg Ryan do, hoped the humidity wouldn't ruin it completely, and set off.

Germany: As I said, this was a stately, older home closer to campus than some other chapters. I remember them talking about their chapter room and what a big deal it was to finally get to see it after you were initiated. They had cold air sleeping. I still really liked Germany.

England: This was another chapter close to campus. They had in-room sleeping arrangements and half the house (the newer addition) was air conditioned. I have noted they had a semester long pledge program still and were involved in “lots of activities” I still really liked England.

Scotland: This house was on sorority circle and they talked about how fun it was to have other chapters next door (and fraternities across the road). They also mentioned their 6-week pledge program (this is when the shorter programs were just getting started). I was still fairly neutral on Scotland.

Greece: I was so excited to come back to this chapter! They were located on sorority circle as well, and had a gorgeous exterior. I remember taking a house tour and just talking with the gal like I'd known her forever, we bonded over the movie Grease. She asked why I had decided to go through rush and I think I answered something about how I was involved in high school and I wanted to stay involved and how I had an older sister who was in a chapter (yes, she asked which one and yes, I answered honestly) but how I wanted to make my own choice. I loved Greece.

Belgium: Another chapter on sorority circle. Their house wasn't as unique on the exterior as say Greece or Scotland, and I remember their living room was decked out to the nines in their sorority colors. I don't remember much else about this chapter this day. Neutral.

Spain: I do remember this chapter had an airline theme this day. Their house was just off sorority circle, so a little farther away, but close to quite a few fraternities (oh the priorities of an 18-year-old!). This chapter had various living arrangements based on the additions on to the house. I liked Spain, but didn't know if it was the right fit for me.

Portugal: I was excited to come back to this chapter as well. They were also located on sorority circle and had an impressive exterior. They had in-room sleeping arrangements and I evidently talked to someone about scholarships, because that's what I have written down. I remember talking to a member about how she had informaled at this chapter and felt at home right away. Another member also asked me why I decided to rush, and I answered basically the same as I did at Greece. I really liked Portugal.

Norway: I don't remember much about this chapter on this day. Neutral.

Finland: This was another chapter on sorority circle, and had a traditional structure. I'm pretty sure they had cold airs and I remember a member talking about a chapter tradition of each new initiate putting a flower petal in a bowl after their initiation and then showing me the bowl that had layers of flowers going back to their chapter founders, which I thought was really neat. I was starting to like Finland more.

Netherlands: this chapter was not on sorority circle, but it wasn't too far from campus. I don't have much written down though I do remember them having a fancy formal living room that I thought was pretty. I was still okay on this chapter.

Day 2 was done. I was tired and slightly damp, but I thought the day had gone well and I had really enjoyed the chapters I had visited. Day 3 was another 6am wake up to get our invitation lists.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:48 AM
GreekChat Member

I love reading your story - its the same year I went through rush!
Old 08-27-2014, 10:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISUKappa View Post
Finland: I don't have much written down except “train song.” At the end of the party, before we were ushered out of the house, I remember the chapter playing “Ride the Train” by the Quad City DJs and the chapter members leading the PNMs around the first floor in like a conga line to usher us out the door. It wasn't necessarily my cup of tea, but another girl in my Rho Chi group loved it. A girl from my hometown who was two years older than me was a member of this chapter and she stopped by to say “hi.” I was okay on this chapter.
LOL. My chapter did this in 1996 for open house. It was a good fit bc we'd always had a train theme to move people from room to room. The PNMs LOVED it. As a Rho Chi, we hated it as we had to listen to it 40 times waiting for our PNMs.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 08-27-2014, 10:27 AM
GreekChat Member

I LOVE this story! Keep the details coming - especially your fashion choices!
Old 08-27-2014, 11:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Day 3 – 5 party day
5 parties of 45 minutes each

We met with our Rho Chi and I couldn't wait to see where I would get to go today. When A.M. Handed me my list, I could tell she was waiting for my reaction. I opened the paper to see only four chapters listed:
Germany
England
Italy
Finland

Wait, What?!? I didn't understand! What about my BFF from Greece? Where was Spain? And why was Italy on there when I hadn't even visited their chapter on 10-party day? Italy was easily explained – when I regretted chapters' invitations the previous day, I'd put “regret with interest” which meant “I'm still interested, so feel free to have my name down for future parties.” But still, what happened to the other chapters I'd liked? I've always been on the more emotional side, and it's hard for me to hide my feelings, so I started tearing up. A.M. tried to console me, reminding me I still had chapters I liked on my list. I was positive it was my fashion faux pas and blabbing about my legacy that had gotten me cut (which could be possible, but I'll never know). I tearfully accepted all my invitations and headed back to my room.

Thankfully, the first party didn't start until 1pm, so I had plenty of time to pull myself back together. I called my sister sometime that morning and almost immediately started crying about how hard rush was and why didn't those other chapters like me? My poor sister started crying too and tried her best to say it was those chapters' loss and I had plenty to offer the chapters I had left and I would find the place that was perfect for me. Feeling somewhat better, I started getting ready.

Today was sunny and warm again. The rush book recommended “slightly more formal – summer dresses or skirts are appropriate” for this day and determined not to be fashion victim two days in a row, I opted for a short, sleeveless black satin dress with a floral print and black chunky sandals (of course!) The dress was vaguely Asian, but possibly a tad short for my tall frame. I didn't consider that, though and set off.

Germany: If I remember correctly, it was skit day, but I can't for the life of me remember what this chapter's skit was about. The parties were longer, and we were supposed to be getting into more serious conversation about what I was looking for in a sorority home and what Germany meant to the member I was talking to. I must have been a little dazed still, because the member was asking me some questions that were meant to delve deeper and I just wasn't getting it. I remember one question about something that was important to me and I just went off on word vomit about this stuffed Wishbone toy a friend in high school had given me for Christmas and how it just reminded me how fun and goofy my friends were. It's like I knew it was totally out there but couldn't stop myself and I could just see the look on her face like “this chick be crazy” because she was expecting some deep and meaningful answer and instead got this speech on a toy dog. I was pretty sure I had just killed any chances I'd had with Germany.

England: I don't remember the specific order, but it's most likely I went here after I'd been to Germany. The skit had a jungle theme and was well-done and funny (if a bit cheesy and dated). After the skit, the member I'd been paired with asked me how my day had been going and I broke down again. I tried to be upbeat, but I was just wrung out emotionally by then. I teared up and said how today had been more difficult than I expected and had been less than ideal. To her credit, she took it like a champ even though I could tell she didn't quite know how to handle me and must have sent some kind of distress signal because pretty soon another member came over (with some kleenex) and took over the conversation. She gave me a big hug (verboten, I know, but it was exactly what I needed at that moment) and pretty soon had me laughing. I felt tons better by the end of this party and really, really wanted to come back to England the next day.

Italy: I don't remember the skit at this party, either, and tried to be more open at this party, even though I had only been neutral on them earlier in the week. The members really did seem to get along well, but I still just wasn't feeling the love.

Finland: The skit here was about a beauty parlor and you could tell the members loved it. It was very funny and told a lot about the sisterhood. Afterward, a member I had talked to earlier in the week made a point to come by and say hi, as did the gal who was from my hometown. I managed to keep it together during this party and there were no tears (thank goodness!). I was liking Finland more each day.

Because I didn't have a full invitation list, I think I had to wait at the Memorial Union until all the parties were done. I remember sitting with S and K at dinner and comparing notes again. S had a full day, but I don't think K did. Exhausted, I don't think any of us did much of anything that night. Wake up for invitation lists the next day wasn't quite as early, which was nice.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlGirl13 View Post
I LOVE this story! Keep the details coming - especially your fashion choices!
I wish I could find pics. I have a black and white one of my disastrous day 2 outfit and then one of S, K and me in our pref dresses.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:59 PM
GreekChat Member

More, please?
Old 08-27-2014, 01:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Here's the day two outfit (pic of a pic from my senior yearbook, which is why it's black and white - and has horrible glare)

The scarf was muted maroons and greens - so mid 90s!