GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,972
0 members and 1,972 guests
No Members online

Old 09-13-2012, 06:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Feeling really down about myself...why didn't I get asked back by any sororities?

I decided to rush as a sophomore at University of Michigan because I was just too overwhelmed to do so freshman year. I just got through the mixers, which is the first part where we go to all 15 houses and talk to about 3 girls in each house. Then we rank the sororities for the first time and get asked back for "second sets." I didn't even make it to this because I only got asked backed by one sorority to even go through second sets (after this, we have third sets, then preference parties). I didn't feel like I fit in at all with the girls I met at that sorority, so I am now just dropping out. I don't understand what I did wrong. Most girls get asked back by up to 11 of the houses for second sets. I dressed nicely and was very polite to every girl I met. Freshman year, I met a popular guy in phi psi (the "top" frat at out school) who had a crush on me, and he said to definitely rush as a sophomore because he thought I would get a top house, which in his mind is Tri-Delt (I guess because he thought I was attractive). My rho omega said she couldn't tell me why the sororities decide who to invite back, but she said it could possibly be because I'm a sophomore. However, I had a friend rush with me who was a sophomore and she got asked back to 11 houses, including Tri Delt. And a lot of the girls who even rushed me told me they rushed as sophomores. My GPA was not the best freshman year, but it wasn't horrible either, and the sorority girls I talked to said they don't look at the academics that much; it's mostly about the friendships you make. There seemed to be hundred of girls rushing, so I don't know how the sororities could even know me or remember me enough to reject me at this point. I saw some girls that I knew from freshman year rushing the new potential members, so do you think if a couple girls didn't like me or something they told the rest of the sororities? What went wrong? Maybe I talked about something I shouldn't have during our conversations? I live in an apartment with 3 girls in ADpi, and I had a cousin who just graduated from here in alpha phi, but I of course didn't get asked back to those sororities either. I was so excited to rush, and now I just feel horrible about myself.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Much like your Rho Omega, we cannot tell you why you weren't invited back. However,

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKelly74 View Post
I didn't even make it to this because I only got asked backed by one sorority to even go through second sets (after this, we have third sets, then preference parties). I didn't feel like I fit in at all with the girls I met at that sorority, so I am now just dropping out.
dropping out isn't the best idea if you're a sophomore and want to be involved in Greek life. As others here have said, it only takes one. Who knows, that one may have been the home you were looking for.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKelly74 View Post
I decided to rush as a sophomore at University of Michigan because I was just too overwhelmed to do so freshman year. I just got through the mixers, which is the first part where we go to all 15 houses and talk to about 3 girls in each house. Then we rank the sororities for the first time and get asked back for "second sets." I didn't even make it to this because I only got asked backed by one sorority to even go through second sets (after this, we have third sets, then preference parties). I didn't feel like I fit in at all with the girls I met at that sorority, so I am now just dropping out. I don't understand what I did wrong. Most girls get asked back by up to 11 of the houses for second sets. I dressed nicely and was very polite to every girl I met. Freshman year, I met a popular guy in phi psi (the "top" frat at out school) who had a crush on me, and he said to definitely rush as a sophomore because he thought I would get a top house, which in his mind is Tri-Delt (I guess because he thought I was attractive). My rho omega said she couldn't tell me why the sororities decide who to invite back, but she said it could possibly be because I'm a sophomore. However, I had a friend rush with me who was a sophomore and she got asked back to 11 houses, including Tri Delt. And a lot of the girls who even rushed me told me they rushed as sophomores. My GPA was not the best freshman year, but it wasn't horrible either, and the sorority girls I talked to said they don't look at the academics that much; it's mostly about the friendships you make. There seemed to be hundred of girls rushing, so I don't know how the sororities could even know me or remember me enough to reject me at this point. I saw some girls that I knew from freshman year rushing the new potential members, so do you think if a couple girls didn't like me or something they told the rest of the sororities? What went wrong? Maybe I talked about something I shouldn't have during our conversations? I live in an apartment with 3 girls in ADpi, and I had a cousin who just graduated from here in alpha phi, but I of course didn't get asked back to those sororities either. I was so excited to rush, and now I just feel horrible about myself.
Sorry, no sympathy from me. You were asked back to 1 group and you chose not to go back. It's not the same thing as not getting asked back to any sorority.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:59 PM
GreekChat Member

What is your GPA?

My recruitment story: My sorority membership changed my life.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:10 PM
GreekChat Member

You also posted on here about how you only wanted to join the three chapters you felt were the most popular (and named them), and gave enough information about yourself that girls on your campus could, have with a minimum of effort on their parts, figured out who you were. That kind of attitude doesn't make for the most beloved PNM on campus. Just saying...
Old 09-13-2012, 07:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Maybe they all saw your other posts you made on Greekchat? Those were pretty bad and would definitely make my house not want to give you a bid.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Maybe because you're a self absorbed bitch.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTAOnlytheBest View Post
Wow.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
That's really uncalled for.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:26 PM
GreekChat Member

To the OP: we can't tell you why, and I'm very sorry that you decided to drop out because "it only takes one". And for you, that one was the only one who kept inviting you back but you have made a choice and that is that.

ZTA poster: way too harsh and uncalled for; not a good representation whatsoever of the classy Zetas I know and love. Maybe you are having a really awful, mean-spirited day?
Old 09-13-2012, 07:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Deleted...

Last edited by fascination; 09-15-2012 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Because she asked me to "please" delete it.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Out of bounds and most definitely not representative of our organization.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:51 PM
GreekChat Member

You posted on multiple message boards with your real name, who you lived with, your average GPA, what chapter your cousin was a member of, what frat your boyfriend was in, and exactly which chapters you want. Did you really think someone wasn't going to find out who you were?

I sincerely hope that you have learned your lesson, if you were truly ready to be a part of a sisterhood, you wouldn't care if a chapter is popular, because it's really about the friendships and memories.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:29 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm grabbing popcorn and settling in for this one.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:35 PM
GreekChat Member

ZTABest- So gratuitously mean. And what really floored me was that you had posted two months ago worried about a sister who was suicidal and depressed. So you post a mean-spirited post to someone who says she is down on herself and feeling rejected and tell them that they are "a self-absorbed bitch?"

You're not the only one-- it is possible to be kind and constructive in one's comments but there are way too many mean-spirited people in this forum (maybe insecure also?) who seem to delight in tearing down posters. (Fleurgirl, is the popcorn because you take some kind of enjoyment in seeing a girl who feels rejected and is down on herself be torn down further?)

Unbelievable. And shameful.