GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,774
2 members and 1,772 guests
MSKKG, PiperJarma

Old 09-09-2012, 10:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908sfirst View Post
This is a site for support as we are going through the process. Illinoisdg, we are both parents in this process, which can be a stressful time for us. The women on this site have been extremely supportive and caring AND a wealth of information. If you don't need any support (clearly your daughter is a superstar, and support is not required), AND you aren't willing to accept the information put forth, what is your purpose on this site?
My experience so far has been snotty people like you and old row acting like two year olds. I never said my daughter was a superstar...I just posted her experience. Joint old row and go get a life. My purpose on this cite was just to learn about sororities and to share what my daughter was going through. For all I know, she will get rejected by all of the sororities today. I guess I should apologize to you for not being in a state of depression because my daughter is having a good experience so far.

My only hope is that if she joins a sorority, the people are better humans than you and old row, as you two are just sad, nasty people.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:51 AM
GreekChat Member

My daughter is rushing...went to 13 the first round, but only 4 yesterday. 1 she loves (and she is a legacy), 2 she likes and would be happy to join and one she dislikes and won't accept a bid so she will not list it on her card. She hasn't gotten a phone call so I guess she's going back to at least one. I have to say, we are from out of state and I think that has made it extra hard. It seems like so much is based on high school connections. She has not met one girl from another state at any house she has visited and she really is wondering if she will fit in if everyone is just reliving high school. She is not at all hopeful and has resigned herself to the possibility of no bid, but seems fine with it. I just want it to be over.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinoisdg View Post
My experience so far has been snotty people like you and old row acting like two year olds. I never said my daughter was a superstar...I just posted her experience. Joint old row and go get a life. My purpose on this cite was just to learn about sororities and to share what my daughter was going through. For all I know, she will get rejected by all of the sororities today. I guess I should apologize to you for not being in a state of depression because my daughter is having a good experience so far.

My only hope is that if she joins a sorority, the people are better humans than you and old row, as you two are just sad, nasty people.

And my only hope is that your daughter is a nicer person then you appear to be.. goodness you need to take it down a notch
Old 09-09-2012, 11:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 614 View Post
My daughter is rushing...went to 13 the first round, but only 4 yesterday. 1 she loves (and she is a legacy), 2 she likes and would be happy to join and one she dislikes and won't accept a bid so she will not list it on her card. She hasn't gotten a phone call so I guess she's going back to at least one. I have to say, we are from out of state and I think that has made it extra hard. It seems like so much is based on high school connections. She has not met one girl from another state at any house she has visited and she really is wondering if she will fit in if everyone is just reliving high school. She is not at all hopeful and has resigned herself to the possibility of no bid, but seems fine with it. I just want it to be over.
I didn't go to U of I, but am from a large suburb of Chicago, and probably 100 people from my high school class did go there and most of them joined the same sororities (part of the reason I didn't go there). I know it's really hard to be an out of state student there--looking at the overall statistics, there just aren't a lot of out of state kids there period, so of course there aren't many in the Greek system--but hopefully things work out for your daughter. Hopefully she will give it a chance if she does get a bid. The houses are big enough that she should be able to find some girls she likes. Good luck to her!
Old 09-09-2012, 11:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

I tried to be as polite as I was raised to be but now I see you are a big bully. I feel very sorry for your daughter if this is the way you react when people have a different view than you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowlady View Post
And my only hope is that your daughter is a nicer person then you appear to be.. goodness you need to take it down a notch
Or about a million notches!
Old 09-09-2012, 11:21 AM
GreekChat Member

When things go very well for people, it usually makes them more empathetic. When things are not going as planned it can make someone say cruel things for absolutely no reason. I'm reading between the lines here and I think we are seeing something very similar to all the pnms acting as though they have a full invite list.
I am cringing though seeing the name dg next to all your posts though, and since you and your daughter don't actually have any affliation I am asking you as an alum of DG to please discontinue posting under that name. Make a new account, or just stop posting, but please whatever you do just stop posting with our letters!
Old 09-09-2012, 11:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCarnation View Post
I didn't go to U of I, but am from a large suburb of Chicago, and probably 100 people from my high school class did go there and most of them joined the same sororities (part of the reason I didn't go there). I know it's really hard to be an out of state student there--looking at the overall statistics, there just aren't a lot of out of state kids there period, so of course there aren't many in the Greek system--but hopefully things work out for your daughter. Hopefully she will give it a chance if she does get a bid. The houses are big enough that she should be able to find some girls she likes. Good luck to her!
Thanks for your response. She has met a lot of awesome girls from Illinois, some rushing, some not so I have to say, the kids are nice. She is very cute, but very reserved which I'm sure does not help either. I think she will be fine either way, and maybe even better off if she doesn't end up in one....she truly hates girl drama.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Thanks for your response. She has met a lot of awesome girls from Illinois, some rushing, some not so I have to say, the kids are nice. She is very cute, but very reserved which I'm sure does not help either. I think she will be fine either way, and maybe even better off if she doesn't end up in one....she truly hates girl drama.
I hope that your D will find a great sorority home. It is a tough process and I know how hard it is on the girls and mom (my D just went thru a couple of weeks ago...) Tell her to stay positive!

And I just want to say that girl drama will and can happen any where, being in sorority or not in one she will always encounter girl drama.. Just the nataure of life..
Old 09-09-2012, 12:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
And I just want to say that people drama will and can happen any where, being in sorority or not in one she will always encounter drama.. Just the nataure of life..
FTFY.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
There is the mentality of a group of people ganging up on one. I posted nothing rude at all until I was personally attacked. Some dummy accused my daughter of being a superstar, when she doesnt know a thing about her. Funny how your crusade to defend evil has not yet touched her, or the other rude people. If you are truly concerned about being nice, then check out the posts that have attacked me, including yours, by the way. If this is what sororities members are or what the supposedly grow up to be, you can have it. You hope my daughter is nicer that what I appear to be, and I hope you are more intelligent than you appear to be. Touché. Or do you just toss out little jabs and expect not to be poked back?

My daughter and I are good and kind people, but we do not cave to bullies. I posted about her experience, and not one response to that...just about the username and personal attacks on me. Those of you who have engaged in these attacks are petty, shallow, crass people. But it is never too late to be introspective and evolve into a higher thinking mammal. There is hope for you all who attack.

To DGillinois: I never intentionally tried to mimic your name. I put on my signature after I was informed that it is not proper form that I am not associated with Delta Gamma. I apologize if it created any confusion, and I have asked the administrator for a name change. Even though I feel that it is silly, particularly since my signature makes it clear I am not affiliated with your sorority, I will stop posting under that name. The proviso is that there are are no other attacks on me. I will do that you of respect to you personally for not being rude.

A final thought. I could have come here and pretended I was a delta gamma and nobody would have known otherwise. For all anybody here knows, nobody is who they claim to be. I was honest, apologized, made attempts to change the name, and have been attacked by many people for no reason. Those people need to take a look at what is important in life.

And a final, final thought, out of respect for DGillinois, do not make any more nasty responses to my posts, because if you do, I will NOT change my name, and you will have nobody to blame but yourselves.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
There is the mentality of a group of people ganging up on one. I posted nothing rude at all until I was personally attacked. Some dummy accused my daughter of being a superstar, when she doesnt know a thing about her. Funny how your crusade to defend evil has not yet touched her, or the other rude people. If you are truly concerned about being nice, then check out the posts that have attacked me, including yours, by the way. If this is what sororities members are or what the supposedly grow up to be, you can have it. You hope my daughter is nicer that what I appear to be, and I hope you are more intelligent than you appear to be. Touché. Or do you just toss out little jabs and expect not to be poked back?

My daughter and I are good and kind people, but we do not cave to bullies. I posted about her experience, and not one response to that...just about the username and personal attacks on me. Those of you who have engaged in these attacks are petty, shallow, crass people. But it is never too late to be introspective and evolve into a higher thinking mammal. There is hope for you all who attack.

To DGillinois: I never intentionally tried to mimic your name. I put on my signature after I was informed that it is not proper form that I am not associated with Delta Gamma. I apologize if it created any confusion, and I have asked the administrator for a name change. Even though I feel that it is silly, particularly since my signature makes it clear I am not affiliated with your sorority, I will stop posting under that name. The proviso is that there are are no other attacks on me. I will do that you of respect to you personally for not being rude.

A final thought. I could have come here and pretended I was a delta gamma and nobody would have known otherwise. For all anybody here knows, nobody is who they claim to be. I was honest, apologized, made attempts to change the name, and have been attacked by many people for no reason. Those people need to take a look at what is important in life.

And a final, final thought, out of respect for DGillinois, do not make any more nasty responses to my posts, because if you do, I will NOT change my name, and you will have nobody to blame but yourselves.
Bully.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
FTFY.

LOL Thank you, so true!
Old 09-09-2012, 01:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Parents do not attend bid day at U of I. It's on a Monday, after classes, and while fun to run to your chapter and all that, it is not NEARLY the big deal that it is in SECland.
I lol'd at the thought of parents being at bid day. It's so interesting to see how different campus cultures can be!

Quote:
I completely understand your daughter's perspective so far. The overwhelming majority of students (I think like 90%) are from Illinois, and I'd say a big chunk of them are from the Chicago suburbs. I think high school connections can be helpful sometimes, but overall I don't think there are any chapters that have the reputation of recruiting women from XYZ high school. I do recall that one year a chapter took a decent number of women from my husband's high school, but I wouldn't say it was enough to give them a reputation. Heck, we took 5-6 women from the same high school one year. It just works out that way sometimes.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Row View Post
What is not so bright about thinking someone who uses the user name of Illinoisdg on a Greek message board is an Illinois Delta Gamma? I hope you don't speak this abusively to your daughter's friends since I am in her same age range too and that would make you a not very nice person.
1. My signature states I am not affiliated

2. You complained that you were confused. For future reference, as you want me to keep posting here...DGillinois starts With the letter "D", and Illinoisdg starts with the letter "I"' if that helps you from being confused.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
1. My signature states I am not affiliated

2. You complained that you were confused. For future reference, as you want me to keep posting here...DGillinois starts With the letter "D", and Illinoisdg starts with the letter "I"' if that helps you from being confused.
You clearly stated that the dg in your name stands for Delta Gamma so don't pretend that you aren't perping.

Did you actually go to college? That may be the issue here.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!