GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,134
2 members and 2,132 guests
John, Low D Flat

Old 03-12-2010, 10:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Thinking about rushing for a second time? Pointless?

Okay so I rushed last semester and I didn't get a bid. Technically, I could have joined one of the three sororities I rushed for but I didn't feel like it was a good fit (and my horribly dreadful ex-roommate joined, which furthered this feeling). Anyhow, I realized after I rushed that during rush I wasn't really being myself. I talked about weird things I wouldn't normally because I was nervous and sort of confused. I didn't even know if I wanted to join a sorority, it was really spur of the moment. I met a lot of really great girls during rush and it made me realize that I really did want to join, but by then I had already sent off weird hesitant vibes. I pretty much did a lot of the things the advice sticky post says not to do... but mostly cause I was nervous and being really weird like I said.
It hurt really bad to not get a bid and I think I might feel stupid rushing again. Since most of the members on this board are in sororites, do you think people look pathetic if they rush again after not getting a bid the first time?
Also, I am a junior and I heard that only 7 juniors were let in. If I rush again in the fall, I'll still have at least 3 or 4 semesters left because I switched majors and it put me behind. I'm technically a junior so I didn't want to lie but I won't be graduating as soon as that would sound.
Anyways, I really regret the way I was during rush the first time. It wasn't even the real me, which is even more frustrating. I'm tired of hanging out with just my guy friend and my boyfriend... I need more that my 5 close girl friends!! I thought sisterhood would be a good way of achieving that PLUS I really like the philanthropies of the two sororities I had hoped to get into
Would it be pointless and stupid to rush again?
PS. Thanks for reading all of that
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-12-2010, 10:42 PM

7 juniors out of how many girls overall pledging? Numbers mean nothing without the full story.

Also, I don't know what you mean by "technically you could have joined." Were you offered a bid and turned it down? This won't help your chances at all.

"Everything's good that you didn't do. At the time, you didn't want it." - Edith Ewing Bouvier Beale
Old 03-12-2010, 10:43 PM
GreekChat Member

If you use the SEARCH feature you will find TONS of similar situations to your own.

No, it's not "stupid and pointless" to rush again. But go into it knowing that you may not get the outcome you are hoping for.

If you will be there for a longer period of time, be sure to tell them that during rush.

Don't get your hopes set on any one or two groups. Maximize your options.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:51 PM
GreekChat Member

There were about 200 girls overall rushing for 3 different sororities. I believe each sorority took about 40 girls, from what I heard. Also, I meant that my horrible ex-roommate was still just my horrible current roommate at the time of the rush and she told me her sorority would take me if I still wanted to join a sorority. I hadn't put them on my preference card after preference night because I knew we didn't click well.... I wasn't going to just join one for the sake of joining one. I never received an official bid from them.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0nfused View Post
There were about 200 girls overall rushing for 3 different sororities. I believe each sorority took about 40 girls, from what I heard. Also, I meant that my horrible ex-roommate was still just my horrible current roommate at the time of the rush and she told me her sorority would take me if I still wanted to join a sorority. I hadn't put them on my preference card after preference night because I knew we didn't click well.... I wasn't going to just join one for the sake of joining one. I never received an official bid from them.
Is her sorority aware of what she's doing? I'm guessing no. Offering a verbal bid is "dirty rushing" and a serious infraction.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, she rushed with me. So it wasn't really her offering a bid. She was telling me what she had heard when she rushed. She told them I was her roommate and they said they had really liked me and that there was still a spot for me if I decided to join.
Anyhow, my real question is just: Is rushing again, especially as a junior, worth it? I felt really embarassed after not getting a bid and it killed my self esteem for a few weeks (bounced back)...
Old 03-12-2010, 11:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Well, she rushed with me. So it wasn't really her offering a bid. She was telling me what she had heard when she rushed. She told them I was her roommate and they said they had really liked me and that there was still a spot for me if I decided to join.
Anyhow, my real question is just: Is rushing again, especially as a junior, worth it? I felt really embarassed after not getting a bid and it killed my self esteem for a few weeks (bounced back)...
Pretty sure that's still an infraction.

Also, I don't understand this completely. You "technically" could have joined one sorority but didn't put them on your pref card? If you don't put them on there, you can't get a bid from them. No, maybes or "technically".

To get to the point, I know girls at my school who rushed as juniors. They've enjoyed it. If you want to do it, do it. We can't convince you to, because we don't know what's best for you personally.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:55 PM
GreekChat Member

It's never too late to join a GLO. If the people there like you, they will offer you a bid regardless of your year at school. I've seen seniors who have gotten bids.

However, make sure you meet the requirements to receive a bid, like GPA.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Okay so I rushed last semester and I didn't get a bid. Technically, I could have joined one of the three sororities I rushed for but I didn't feel like it was a good fit (and my horribly dreadful ex-roommate joined, which furthered this feeling). Anyhow, I realized after I rushed that during rush I wasn't really being myself. I talked about weird things I wouldn't normally because I was nervous and sort of confused. I didn't even know if I wanted to join a sorority, it was really spur of the moment. I met a lot of really great girls during rush and it made me realize that I really did want to join, but by then I had already sent off weird hesitant vibes. I pretty much did a lot of the things the advice sticky post says not to do... but mostly cause I was nervous and being really weird like I said.
It hurt really bad to not get a bid and I think I might feel stupid rushing again. Since most of the members on this board are in sororites, do you think people look pathetic if they rush again after not getting a bid the first time?
Also, I am a junior and I heard that only 7 juniors were let in. If I rush again in the fall, I'll still have at least 3 or 4 semesters left because I switched majors and it put me behind. I'm technically a junior so I didn't want to lie but I won't be graduating as soon as that would sound.
Anyways, I really regret the way I was during rush the first time. It wasn't even the real me, which is even more frustrating. I'm tired of hanging out with just my guy friend and my boyfriend... I need more that my 5 close girl friends!! I thought sisterhood would be a good way of achieving that PLUS I really like the philanthropies of the two sororities I had hoped to get into
Would it be pointless and stupid to rush again?
PS. Thanks for reading all of that
It's worth a shot. Of course we can't say for sure whether you will get one or not. But you will not know unless you try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumGene View Post
It's never too late to join a GLO. If the people there like you, they will offer you a bid regardless of your year at school. I've seen seniors who have gotten bids.

However, make sure you meet the requirements to receive a bid, like GPA.
Just a note: with sorority recruitment, this isn't always the case. But since we don't know what school she goes to, we don't really know if alot of upperclassmen get bids or not. It's certainly worth a try.

Lakers Nation.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:48 PM
GreekChat Member

It depends on the school, but generally speaking, it's not pointless to go through recruitment a second time. Some girls go through two or even three times and get bids. The question that you have to ask yourself, is how will your overall presentation of yourself be different this time? You want to make sure that your grades, activities, recs (if necessary,) clothing, hair style, etc. are all in tip-top shape.

If small talk with strangers is not your strength, then get out there and practice. Make an observation or ask a question of a woman sitting next to you in class, and see if you can strike up a short conversation. Or practice walking up to strangers at parties, introducing yourself, and starting a conversation (the old standby questions of "How do you know our hostess?" or "What year/major are you in school?" are not bad starting points.)

Keep an open mind about all the sororities. Remember that you will get invaluable experiences and opportunities no matter which house you join, and that your time as an alumna will far exceed your time as an active. Try hard to see the positives in every house.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
Keep an open mind about all the sororities. Remember that you will get invaluable experiences and opportunities no matter which house you join, and that your time as an alumna will far exceed your time as an active. Try hard to see the positives in every house.
There are only 3 on campus and one she's basically ruled out because her roommate (pictured here) is in it. So she has a choice of two.

I know your time as an alumna is a lot longer, but you're not likely to become an alumna if you're miserable as a collegian - you're more likely to self-terminate.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:13 AM
GreekChat Member

I am investigating Rushing myself. And, I will be of sophomore standing by the time I am able to Rush. I sent an email off to someone at the Greek Life office at my campus and asked if it would hinder.

So I suggest doing the same. If you want to do it, go for it! If you are unsure, try maybe talking to some people in the sororities and see what they have to say? Befriend some of them.

Good luck!
Old 04-03-2010, 05:17 PM
GreekChat Member

it took me three rounds of recruitment to finally find my home.
If you're willing to put up with the possibility of rejection (which is quite likely), I say absolutely go for it.

What do you have to lose?