GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,386
0 members and 2,386 guests
No Members online

Old 09-20-2013, 06:20 PM
GreekChat Member

What is a sweetheart?

DD has been asked to be a sweetheart of a fraternity. What exactly does this mean? Are several girls chosen? A few? Do you recommend it? As you can guess, I am not greek and know very little about greek life. Any information would be helpful!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-20-2013, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator

Most that I know of only have one but a few have several. One of our daughters was a "singular" sweetheart of Sigma Phi Epsilon. She mainly acted as a hostess for social functions.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:16 PM

It depends a lot on the campus as to what her duties actually are, but know that it means the brothers of the fraternity think the world of her, and that's always a good thing.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:21 PM
GreekChat Member

For my campus:
Some have one sweetheart such as Sigma Phi Epsilon. Others have full courts of multiple women such as Delta Tau Deltas's Rainbow court. What it meant was that she had been special to the chapter by either hanging around or being a girlfriend. It was slightly joking said that "if she was a guy she'd be a ____ (Sigma Chi, Chi Psi, AEPi, etc)"

On my campus it is a pretty big honor to be chosen. It meant that you had made a good impression to a large part of the chapter. They were often featured on the composites too.

Congratulations to your daughter!

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 09-24-2013, 05:12 PM
GreekChat Member

I was Sigma Chi sweetheart in college (awhile ago) and at least for them, it's a little sister type thing. The men were great, so sweet to me, always very respectful, I was kind of an ambassador for the fraternity, attended recruitment events, alumni functions, dinner when national officers were in town, appeared on the composite, went to all formals, etc. It was a lot of fun. Sigma Chi at least also has what they call an International Sweetheart http://www.sigmachi.org/internationa...t-of-sigma-chi.