GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Alumni Involvement

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 614
0 members and 614 guests
No Members online

Old 04-04-2002, 10:11 PM

Order of Omega

I was reading one of Lauren1874's posts where she said she was disappointed she never got to be in Order of Omega. I was wondering, does O of O ever initiate alumni? Or is there a corresponding alumni organization? There are lots of people who might not be super leaders when they are in school but do a lot for their fraternity or sorority (or Greek life in general) after college.
Old 04-04-2002, 10:31 PM
Super Moderator

I was initiated as an alum! There were about 5 other alums initiated when I was.
Old 04-04-2002, 10:38 PM
GreekChat Member

What exactly is order of Omega? I think someone I knew at school was in it, but I have never really heard a lot about it. Do you have to apply, or do they seek out leaders whom they wish to initiate?
Old 04-04-2002, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator

Order of Omega is a national honorary for Greeks. The members have to be very active in Greek life and have a certain GPA.

At the schools I attended, Order of Omega would publicize when they were voting on new members and Greeks would apply. The old members voted and a small percentage of the applicants would make it. At some schools, the tapping is a huge deal--we went around campus and tapped new members in their rooms at the crack of dawn and took them off to a big breakfast!

Unfortunately, this is how we found out that the president of Panhel slept in the nude.
Old 04-25-2002, 01:38 PM
GreekChat Member

It's a pretty big honor to be in it. I was recently inititated and it was a beautiful affair. We all dressed in bear suits and made a big production of it.
Old 04-25-2002, 02:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Bear suits???? WTH?

At my school membership was an honor, but neither the induction ceremony nor being asked to join was "fancy." You just got a letter saying "congrats" after you had applied was all. Then induction was a simple evening ceremony - I don't even think we had refreshments. The group does some work on campus, and I still have my graduation cord somewhere, but most of the OO members were heavily involved in so many things that they didn't have time for OO!
Old 04-26-2002, 12:57 PM
GreekChat Member

At my school, you didn't apply or nominate yourself for Order of Omega. Someone from another GLO (NOT your own) would nominate you for OO. Then the nominees were voted on and inducted. I don't know the induction ceremony, because I was never inducted!!!! I wanted to be, I was quite active, but no one thought enough of me to nominate me, I guess.

Interesting that they have alum induction. . .how does that work?