GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 1,576
0 members and 1,576 guests
No Members online

Old 07-21-2003, 03:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Second time around: Rush after depledging?

I know there's a thread about people who rushed, or are rushing for a second time, but I have a bit of a different spin and I didn't want to hijack. What about people who have pledged, depledged, and are rushing again?

I preffed my Rush Crush from last year, but she ended up going to another house, which was very hard for me. She told me later that it was a very hard decision for her to make, and as it turned out, after pledging, she found out that the house wasn't the right match for her. She depledged, and now she's told me that she's going through Formal again, and I'm very unsure of her situation. She does have a year of college under her belt, and I know that she knows a lot of people in a lot of houses.

What do you guys think about people who are in this situation? Would you look at them as getting another chance to go to the right place? Or maybe as someone who didn't fit in, and maybe there's a good reason why?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-21-2003, 03:32 AM
GreekChat Member

well that is exactly what i did...
i pledged another house before i pledged phi psi. there is nothing to look down upon. you should be flattered that she would drop another house because she felt so strongly about yours. i droped my first house for phi psi and would not change a thing.
Old 07-21-2003, 10:52 AM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
I agree with Josh in that there is no stigma to depledging and wanting to pledge another house. My question is, is she serious about pledging your house now, or is she going through recruitment again to see everyone? I would say don't get your hopes up until recruitment is over and she's your new member.
Old 07-21-2003, 11:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to astroAPhi
While part of me would worry a little bit that a girl went through a pledge process for another sorority, I can see how a girl would feel pressured to join once she receives a bid, or find out that the girls are very different than they once thought. If I had gotten my second choice, I would have been very disappointed, but I probably would have sucked it up and put up with it because a year seemed like such a long time, especially if maybe Alpha Phi hadn't wanted me.

I have to admit though, it takes guts to go through Formal Recruitment a second time, knowing that you have to face your old house.

TKE Omicron Nu Chapter Sweetheart 2003
Old 07-21-2003, 11:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SparkliiQTMTSU Send a message via Yahoo to SparkliiQTMTSU
I depledged and am having to go through rush again. My reasons for depledging were very differnt than e just not wanting to be in that paticular sorority. it was more of school issues that messed me up...not grades or anything but MTSU likes to drop your classes on accident and then you lose all your classes and cant find anymore lol its not a fun situation.
Im hoping that I get to be in the same sorority I depledged granted I have never really looked at many other houses here but I fell in love with those girls they were just like me and that was just awesome!!

Nichole
Old 07-21-2003, 12:16 PM
GreekChat Member

i would say give the person a chance. it had to be hard thinking that she got her first choice and didn't like it! people make mistakes and maybe she was caught up in rush and didn't make a decision based on what she really wanted. one of my sisters put a different sorority first on pref night. she got that group and spent the entire day crying bc she made the wrong decision. luckily this glo released her, so that she could come to phi mu. she went with all of the "hype" of rush and realized that it wasn't all it was cracked up to be!!! she was a wonderful sister!
Old 07-21-2003, 01:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ShaunaF01
i agree - i have a few sisters that are depledges of other organizations on my campus. my psuedo little was actually a depledge of another organization and has turned out to be one of the best sisters we have.

i was a little worried about her when we decided to give her a bid, but i think that's why npc makes you wait a year, it gives you time to explore other house or explore yourself and make sure greek life is really for you.
Old 07-21-2003, 04:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlethiaSi
depledging

I pledged another sorority before nu sig- and it was for health and basically sanity reasons- i waited a year before nu sig- and kind of fell into it- and didn't plan it at all- now i'm glad- i love being in a sorority- i wish i could have finished pledging ofr the first one sometimes- but things work how they're supposed to in the end i guess
Old 07-21-2003, 08:32 PM
GreekChat Member

I pledged a house last year, after being cut VERY heavily by other houses. My reasoning for signing my bid card was that it was probably better to go greek than not to at all (plus I wasn't thinking clearly... ie-first week of school, away from home, etc...a very hectic time!) Well, in my case, this was a mistake because it is not in my nature to half-ass things, including sorority membership. I just couldn't make it work and I wasn't happy. So, I dropped. I really hope the other houses (if they even know about it) don't look down on me because of this. I did it so I could have the OPPORTUNITY to join a different house...which I think takes a lot of courage! It's not like I got my first choice and hated it. That, of course, might be a little different...
Old 07-21-2003, 09:38 PM
GreekChat Member

As a former advisor, I saw many girls come back through recruitment after a year. I think it takes a great deal of courage for a girl to go through a second time, and as such, deserves some respect for that alone. I think it also shows that a girl is committed to greek life if she is willing to go through recruitment again.
Old 07-22-2003, 12:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
I think you'd only run into an uncomfortable situation if your parting with your first house wasn't on good terms. A girl went through recruitment last fall who had pledged my house the previous year and had made it very clear on Bid Day that she was not happy to be there. She left very soon after that because she wanted to join a more "elite" house. I have to give it to her, though--she was brave in coming back to our house during recruitment...we released her very early, but she had more nerve than I ever would have. The irony of it is, I don't think she made it into any of the houses she wanted because she was a sophomore.
Old 07-22-2003, 08:35 PM
GreekChat Member

AchtungBaby80- Is it difficult for sophomores to get bids at your school?
Old 07-23-2003, 11:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by beachgal118
AchtungBaby80- Is it difficult for sophomores to get bids at your school?
Not as far as I know. There are always some sophmores, and even juniors that go through every year during Formal, and unless their college grades are horrible, or there's some other reason that we should take into acount, there's really no difference when making membership choices.

I don't know the exact reason that this girl had for depledging, and at the time, since it had just happened, I thought it was impolite to ask. Now, I wish I had found out a little more so that I had a better idea of her parting situation. Either way, I guess we'll just have to see what happens.