GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto

Old 09-10-2014, 05:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnpgopenguins View Post
And when the OP said that the member told her about placement on bid list I am thinking that member might have been trying to make OP happy about being there, or maybe OP took it the wrong way. I have had people say things to me to try and cheer me up and what they say, even with good intentions, still makes me miserable. Just a thought.
This makes the most sense to me. It's confusing as an active to explain to a new member why she got your house instead of the one she obviously wanted more. What are you going to say? "They didn't want you enough"? It's hard to explain the process in a way that won't sound hurtful, so I'm sure many sisters try to spin it into how much their chapter does love that new member.

Trying to explain the process without going into technical details can VERY EASILY become "We wanted you more than they did", because it's sorta essentially true. The problem is that it sounds an awful lot like the secondary chapter usurped the first chapter's claim on a PNM by wanting her more.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:49 PM
GreekChat Member

I am not going to throw gasoline on this fire. I do want to add some constructive criticism in case there is a real Here Comes The Sun out there who genuinely wants to go through recruitment next year. She mentioned earlier in the story that her grades were not as strong as they should be. The "bottom of the bottom" chapter ASU cut her. I have an inking I know who this chapter is and most likely in this case, and in many others, I will say that grades could have been a factor. Spend this year getting the best grades one can get, and hopefully the outcome will be different next go around. I believe there may be a re-colonization coming up in the next year or so, which would give her a second chance to be Greek next year.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDCat View Post
If Older Sister had done this, so that Rutgers dropped her before pref, and she went to pref at USC, she would have been guaranteed a USC bid.

It's a shame Older Sister didn't help her out.
If they were so clueless as to not know that Older Sister was miserable enough to want to self-terminate, I doubt very much that they would have listened to her when she told them her sister wanted to be in a different group.

There are at least 3 sides to this story and the truth is somewhere pinging around in between.

ETA: I was just ready to say "this wasn't ASU, they only have 12 sororities" but then I realized ISK was referring to one of the chapter nicknames. Arrrrgh, as I said, confusing as balls.

Last edited by 33girl; 09-10-2014 at 06:00 PM.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaSigKap View Post
I am not going to throw gasoline on this fire. I do want to add some constructive criticism in case there is a real Here Comes The Sun out there who genuinely wants to go through recruitment next year. She mentioned earlier in the story that her grades were not as strong as they should be. The "bottom of the bottom" chapter ASU cut her. I have an inking I know who this chapter is and most likely in this case, and in many others, I will say that grades could have been a factor. Spend this year getting the best grades one can get, and hopefully the outcome will be different next go around. I believe there may be a re-colonization coming up in the next year or so, which would give her a second chance to be Greek next year.
I'm sure you know what chapter it was and that chapter has improved their grades dramatically and have been top in grades, so that wasn't necessarily a shock to me I got dropped by them and others since I had just a 3.0.

Could have been other reasons of course.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
I stand corrected. But still, putting her "top 10" instead of #50 still wouldn't have made a lick of difference. The other chapter had her somewhere below 50, so she still was not robbed of the better opportunity. If she had SIP'd, on bid day she'd have had no home. As it turns out, this would have been the better alternative. But it wouldn't have put her any closer to the bid she wanted.
Thank you DubaiSis and everyone else for your input. This really put things in perspective.

The things I heard from my friends in sororities, my sister and even things on GreekChat were swirling all around my head and I had some misconceptions and I was misinformed by some of the people I knew. But now it all makes sense and I can see things clearer for what they actually are rather than how I wish they were.

Hopefully knowing what I know now will help me when I go through recruitment the next time around.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUADPi View Post
Um why are we continuing to call ADPi "Rutgers". Why continue to pretend that we don't know that ADPi was "Rutgers".

We all know that older sister hated ADPi to the point that she resigned her membership.
We all know that the chapter is struggling as the house isn't full.
We all know that the chapter was dirty rushing.
We all know that PNM's have complained to greek life about said chapter.
And we all know that the OP hated going to the chapter.
Oh and we all know that the OP felt ADPi "robbed" her of being in USC (whoever that is) because older sister explained bid matching horribly.
I totally get ASUADPi's feelings of disgust by the OP. I have to admit that I find it really funny that the OP felt "robbed" by getting a bid to this particular organization. The campus I'm at has girls who feel "robbed" because they DID NOT get a bid from this wonderful organization. I agree with other posters who said that chapter was lucky not to have the OP and her negative biological sister.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:25 PM
GreekChat Member

This is a time when intentional single preferencing would have been appropriate. If a PNM does not want a group for any reason (regardless of merits in our personal judgment), then don't list it. Though it would not have resulted in a USC bid nor a QA, she would not be bound for a year. My sense is that there is a bona fide HCTS, that Rutgers was not a good fit for her (others, yes, but nor HCTS due to unusual circumstances). Far better for another PNM to have received the Rutgers bid. Also, I read her feeling of being "robbed" as feeling shortchanged mostly by her sister, not any organization or Panhellenic. It is a disappointment to her certainly, but it is a learning experience and she can prepare for next year.

Sun, good luck to you this year and follow the good advice to prepare yourself well for next year.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:41 PM
GreekChat Member

So what campus is this, supposedly? The only ones where I count 13 chapters and dates that fit have strong-recruiting ADPi chapters.

Also, we don't offer "early alum" status for women still enrolled on campus.
Old 06-21-2015, 02:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Feel like a total idiot reading my recruitment story. So many mistakes I made then, but i've definitely grown in the past year and I hope to have a much more positive, relaxed recruitment.

Thanks for all of the tough, constructive, yet kind messages and comments. I've got plenty of time until recruitment and I hope to update you with a round 2!

Thanks
Old 06-21-2015, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator

That means you have grown and matured. That is a good thing.
Old 06-21-2015, 11:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Wishing you the very best of luck in your upcoming recruitment. Sometimes I think freshmen should not rush - but that's only my opinion and I am probably in the minority!
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 06-21-2015, 02:07 PM

AZTheta, I couldn't agree more.
Old 06-22-2015, 03:29 PM
GreekChat Member

I would love it if my freshman daughter could wait a year to rush. But from many reports, it's hard to go through recruitment as a sophomore.
Old 06-22-2015, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator

It is extremely hard at competitive schools unless they have an upperclass quota (and most don't). Sophomore recruitment was disastrous at my SEC school.