GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Gamma

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,126
0 members and 1,126 guests
No Members online

Old 10-15-2009, 10:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Too Late?

Hi everyone! So, here's my story..

I attend a college that does not hold a Delta Gamma chapter. Though I'm not a legacy, many of my close family friends were DG's and I always felt as if that was the right place for me. My college has a wonderful program for what I want to do so I knew this was the only school I wanted to go to, but I was disappointed that they didn't have a chapter. That's why I decided to try and start one. I tried contacting the PHA Advisor and President, but eventually I was told that they didn't want to start a new chapter because they had just added a new chapter of another sorority the year before. I was heartbroken. My mom told me to give rush a try the following year. She said that I should go into it with an open mind. I decided to try it out so this past year I attended rush, but it just didn't fit. I ended up dropping before pref night.

Next year will be my 3rd year, but I'll actually be graduating. I'm planning on going straight to grad school so I'll be 20 when I start working on my Master's. I still really want to be a part of the greek system, hopefully a DG, but I was just curious as to what your opinions were about rushing as a grad student. Is it too late?

Oh, and feel free to be completely honest. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I do not mean this to sound ugly or snarky but here goes...

Did you honestly give the chapters at your school a fair shot? Or, did you go through recruitment comparing them to this idea of DG in your mind? Not to say that DG is not a phenomenal organization, they are. Many fabulous women are members. But... I think that you might have built up this ideal in your head that you compared the chapters at your school to, and in the end, you probably did not have as open a mind as you thought. Other GCers can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe most organizations do not take graduate students. Check with your greek life office to make sure. If not, you might want to look into other organizations that are on your campus, for example a service or major oriented org. they might be more open to taking grad students. Good luck!

Last edited by DDDlady; 10-15-2009 at 10:51 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-15-2009, 10:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorry... i just realized this was in the DG forum. I didn't mean to crash. That darn opening screen gets me so confused as to where things are sometimes. Again... sorry to crash!

Old 10-15-2009, 10:59 PM
GreekChat Member

That's completely fine; I don't find it mean at all.

I understand what you're saying completely. I feel as if I was, but then again, you could be right. I tried to be open minded, but I just didn't feel comfortable with any of them. It is a small school and small greek life system so I didn't actually have very many choices to choose from, but who knows. In the end, I didn't feel completely comfortable with any so I didn't want to make a lifetime commitment when my heart wasn't completely in it.

I'm planning on attending a different university for grad school so maybe I'll contact their greek life offices and ask. Thank you!!
Old 10-15-2009, 11:03 PM

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=42304

According to this thread, DG does not allow grad students to join. I'd assume that that's still the case, but I am not a DG so I don't know if their policies have changed since then.

Lakers Nation.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the link! I appreciate it!
Old 10-15-2009, 11:25 PM
GreekChat Member

No, Delta Gamma does not take graduate students as new members.