GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,349
0 members and 1,349 guests
No Members online

Old 08-16-2008, 01:41 PM
GreekChat Member

I have been away from the site for a few days and want to thank everyone for their kinds words and good wishes!

Lamplighter - I caught up with your story today. Best of luck to you and your daughter. Sounds like she is having a fantastic rush!

Well, the countdown is getting closer! As I was writing my initial post, my daughter was away at an optional university orientation. I had never heard about these when I was in college, but apparently most of the major universities in this state have an optional camp type orientation that lets students get to know each other. It is actually held at a camp. Obviously no parents allowed (not that I had any desire to attend even if it were open to parents) Best decision she has made so far. She was lukewarm about the idea of going, and by the time she made up her mind to go, this date was the last one still open before rush began. Now my daughter has never been one to have trouble making friends, but the amount of new friends she made at camp is mind boggling. This whole Facebook thing is crazy. She already has a few tentative get togethers planned during move in week. One of the girls that was in her group will also be rushing, but she lives kind of far from where daughter will be, so don't know how much they'll see each other there.

We are moving her in tomorrow. Rush begins Monday. Let the games begin!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-16-2008, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator

good luck to bluebonnet daughter!!

my daughter did a similar activity when she was a freshman and actually met the girl who would become one of her sorority big sisters. this girl was one of the counselors for the freshman activity, although my daughter was not in her group(they seemed to have the same bathroom schedule and chit chatted while brushing their teeth). 2 years later, daughter is still glad she attended.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Yesterday was move in day. Husband, another family member, and all her possessions went in the family vehicle. Daughter and I drove down in her car. It was nice to have some alone time with her before her leaving. Surprisingly, she really does not seem nervous at all about rush. Personally I never would have rushed at a competitive Texas school in the middle of August - that would've been too grueling for me.

I have given some thought to the chapter names I'm going to use. A few months back I read an older Texas thread on GC and liked that the mom used Texas related names, so since I am not in any way a creative person that's what I'm going use. I can see the eye rolls from the Northern folks, but that's just how we do things in Texas. Right, fellow Texas GCers? Here they are in random order:

Rodeo
Cowgirl
Lady Bird
Chaps
Magnolia
Chili
Brazos
Stagecoach
Pecan
Mustang
Canyon
Spurs

Today is open house for all 12 sororities. Althought the evening does not end late, I expect she will be eating and socializing afterwards, so I don't know if she will call before tomorrow's parties. Will post as I get more information.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Hooray for Texas!

I gotta pull for Magnolia or Pecan.

Best of luck to your daughter!
Old 08-18-2008, 10:04 AM

Who/what/where is Brazos?

I am rooting for Lady Bird as she is the most adorable thing on King of the Hill. LOL
Old 08-18-2008, 10:23 AM
GreekChat Member

I am so loving this thread! Good luck to you daughter.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Best wishes to your daughter!!!

Hopefully, the weather will remain sunny (although humid as heck).
Old 08-18-2008, 10:57 AM

The Brazos is the Brazos River, it stretches from New Mexico and ends at the Gulf of Mexico. I am rooting for the Brazos!
Old 08-18-2008, 01:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
I'm a fan of Chili myself.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Lil_ChiO_Lady
Oh I am soooo excited for a Texas thread. I have to root for the Rodeo, since i do live in Houston and Rodeo time is ALWAYS a good time.
Psi Zeta Chapter
Old 08-18-2008, 05:11 PM
GreekChat Member

So fun to have a Texas thread.

I will pull for Lady Bird, in honor of all the beautiful wildflowers along Texas' highways.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Of course, I love the Texas theme. I'll go with Mustangs - the elementary school where I worked for 16 years was Mustangs.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

I'm looking forward to this thread. Since I'm from SA, Go Spurs Go! Of course until I figure out which is my chapter. I wish your daughter a great recruitment and good luck. I know it's hard sitting on the sidelines.
Old 08-19-2008, 05:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to skerbow Send a message via MSN to skerbow Send a message via Yahoo to skerbow
I think I'm going for Magnolia at this point. MAN where is the update?
Old 08-19-2008, 08:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to OHNOITSJESS
since i was born in the "Rodeo Capital of Texas" i have to go for rodeo