GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 988
3 members and 985 guests
indygphib, PGD-GRAD

Old 03-28-2020, 08:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Update

I am the OP and I honestly had forgotten I posted this back in the fall right after rush. I know this thread is somewhat old, but people did have some questions and comments I want to address and maybe this could be helpful to someone else in the future. These were valid questions and I feel like I should answer them.
First, social media was brought up a lot as a possible red flag. I always make sure my instagram is kept clean, I don't post pictures in revealing clothes, etc. I also do not have a finsta, I never post on facebook, and I rarely ever use snapchat. For these reasons, I do not believe social media was a problem at all, they only could have judged me on my instagram and its just generic pictures with my friends, travel pics, etc.
Some others brought up a possible bad reputation in high school or making a bad impression at a party or something. I know I can't ever know what everyone in high school truly thought of me, but I really am the type of person who just laid low and stayed out of all drama. I also don't remember ever having a bad encounter with a sorority girl at a party or in any other situation.
To answer some other questions, the legacy chapters were of my mom and sister so I am definitely a legacy. I had recommendations for most of the chapters and they were written by good family friends who know me well. My unweighted gpa was near perfect.
I honestly just think I didn't stand out at all and fell through the cracks, that's what I've told myself to cope at least.
For those saying I should have given that one chapter a chance, I understand where you are coming from, but I am honestly so glad I did not. Nothing against that chapter at all, they were all very nice and I understand my original post sounded like I wrote them off because of tier or something. It had nothing to do with reputation, I really just didn't vibe with the girls and I did not believe it was going to be worth the time or money for something I wasn't all in on. I think people forget that this is a very expensive thing to be a part of and I wasn't willing to pay the money to be a part of a chapter where I don't think I fit in. I have spent this year getting involved in other things on campus that I might not have had time for if I had joined that sorority. I don't feel like I should have to defend myself for deciding that I would rather save the time and money and get to be involved in other things that I am passionate about rather than feeling like an outsider in that sorority. I have seen multiple people this year who are unhappy about the chapter they joined because it wasn't a proper fit and I'm glad I am not in that situation.
Thank you for all of the comments. If anyone wants to respond, feel free.
Old 03-29-2020, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator

I am glad that you are getting involved on campus. Everyone should do that, whether Greek or non-Greek. There are so many great, interesting organizations to be a member of. Thank you for coming back and updating your thread.
Old 03-31-2020, 04:39 PM
GreekChat Member

At a big school with a big recruitment, it's entirely possible to stand out so little that you slip through the cracks. Members just tend to assume that you'll pledge and with all the other hoopla going on, they don't even noticed that you're not at the next round of parties.
I know every year at Alabama there are girls who you look at later and can't figure out why they didn't pledge. Of course it's often that they dropped after setting their sights on the wrong groups, but I've seen where some sororities figured Allie Allthat is going to pledge X or Y or Z and dropped her, while X thought Z would pledge her and dropped her early....and so on.
Sometimes they just didn't have someone inside who advocated strong enough for them.
Good for you for staying in there. Usually there are a WHOLE LOT more non-greek than greek groups. And the older you get the less it matters.