GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Up & Coming National GLOs

Up & Coming National GLOs This area is for discussion of issues affecting GLOs which are larger than a local, yet are still growing into a national GLO.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,490
1 members and 1,489 guests
Titchou

Old 04-09-2002, 11:57 AM
GreekChat Member

If girls are looking for info on Ceres, or any national sorority, they will trust a professional-looking national page more than a local chapter page. Not that there is anything wrong with the latter, of course, but a national page represents all the chapters, not just one. (Of course, for girls looking at the chapters on their campus, the local page is probably more important.) It's the first point of contact for information such as colonization/expansion policies, number of chapters, history, etc. - stuff potential colonizers want to know.
Old 05-17-2002, 06:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to silentbeauty
Phi Sigma Rho checking in. . .

Phi Sigma Rho is a national social sorority for women in engineering and engineering technology. Our sisterhood is made up of women who are studying an area of engineering, but also actively take part in campus activities within the social Greek system. In addition to socials, the sisters of Phi Sigma Rho are involved in community service projects and philanthropies such as the Girl Scouts of America and the American Cancer Society.

Phi Sigma Rho was founded in 1984 at Purdue University and went national in 1988. Currently there are 11 active chapters, 4 chartered alumni organizations, and 1 colony of Phi Sigma Rho. At our next national convention we will be celebrating our 20th anniversary! Phi Sigma Rho Nationals
Old 06-13-2002, 04:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Serenity
Las Señoritas

I can't believe I never posted info about SLU. As posted on our website:

Historical Beginnings

Sigma Lambda Upsilon/ Señoritas Latinas Unidas Sorority, Incorporated exists to create a bridge between all women committed to seeking the political and social advancement of underrepresented populations. The organization was founded on December 1, 1987 at Binghamton University by Hermana Cynthia Santiago-Guzman, Hermana Adriana Zamora-Tirado, Hermana Carmen Ibeth Garcia-Quiñones and Hermana Carol Elizabeth Torres.* Through their efforts, they have created an organization that provides sisterhood and support, while also promoting academic achievement, service to the community and cultural enrichment. Their vision has created a voice for women in an academic setting.

The essence of Sigma Lambda Upsilon/ Señoritas Latinas Unidas Sorority, Inc. is epitomized by the diverse cultural backgrounds and customs that allow our Hermanas (sisters) to share each other's heritage. Over a decade since its existence, the impenetrable bond of sisterhood unites Hermanas of African, African-American, Argentinean, Belizian, Bolivian, Brazilian, Cape Verdean, Chicana, Chilean, Chinese, Colombian, Costa Rican, Cuban, Dominican, Ecuadorian, English, Filipina, French, German, Guatemalan, Haitian, Hmong, Honduran, Italian, Irish, Jamaican, Jewish, Korean, Mexican, Native American, Nevisian, Nicaraguan, Nigerian, Panamanian, Paraguayan, Peruvian, Polish, Puerto Rican, Romanian, Salvadorian, Spanish and Uruguayan backgrounds. Through mutual respect, love, courage and support for one another, we share the common goal of uniting and empowering all Hermana's. Our relentless commitment to each other is the reason why we consider our sisterhood lasting Hasta La Muerte!

Though Latina-based, the organization is made up of women from all cultures, creed, disabilities, political beliefs, sexual preference, etc.

Sigma Lambda Upsilon/ Señoritas Latinas Unidas Sorority, Inc. serves to bridge a* gap between the Latino community and the campuses we represent.
Old 06-13-2002, 07:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to NoShame_Gamma
Update on GAO!

Quote:
Originally posted by NoShame_Gamma
Gamma Alpha Omega Sorority is an "up and coming" organization. Founded at the Arizona State University campus in 1993, it now has 11 chapters and 3 Charters/Colonies throughout AZ, WA, WI, ID, TX, and OR. I'm also part of the Petitioning Group at Humboldt State University in northern CA. In 2 weeks we'll be going to the National Convention in Milwaukee to make our presentation to become a Charter/Colony, which will make us the first in CA. Wish us luck!
Well, convention has come and gone and I am happy to say that our WONDERFUL FAMILY / SISTERHOOD has grown! We now have 14 Chapters and 1 Charter Colony (us!). There's been some interest from other California Universities, but nothing concrete yet. I'll keep y'all posted!

Serenity, what campus are you at? PM me, I'd like to chat!

Here's a little bit about us:

National History:

Gamma Alpha Omega Sorority was the first Hispanic founded sorority on the campus of Arizona State University, in Tempe, Arizona. Founded on January 25, 1993 with a strong desire to serve the Hispanic community and a quest for higher learning by five determined collegiate young women Michelle Seanez, Amy Alvarez Patsy Guardado, Clara Lopez Michelle Mendoza known today as our Most Honorable Founding Madres. These visionary young women formed this community service based sorority in conjunction with their benevolent vision. Their focus was not only on social issues, as manytraditional sororities before them, but also as a dynamic and altruistic group of advanced women, to excel in school, motivate others, generate role models, and eventually yield considerable Hispanic community leaders.

Local History:

On October 2000, seven women came together to discuss the possibility of establishing a Latina based sorority on the HSU campus. At the time of their meeting, there was only one other Latino interest organization on campus. Noticing the lack of Latino representation, these women formed the Interest Group of Gamma Alpha Omega Sorority, Inc. and began meeting on a regular basis.

Our purpose is to promote and instill in every member of our sorority the values of Honesty, Integrity, Leadership, Scholarship, and Unity. These pillars have become the foundation of our organization and a symbol of devotion to our purpose. By encouraging these admirable characteristics, each member enriches her life with these lifelong attributes. We strive not only to be an asset to our community, but to also strengthen the bonds that are present within our sisterhood.

Check out our websites:
www.gammaalaphaomeganationals.homestead.com
www.humboldt.edu/~gaopg
www.humboldt.edu/~greek
Old 06-13-2002, 08:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations on the new Chapter and colony NoShame_Gamma. I know how awesome it is to get a new chapter and the work that goes into it.

Serenity, thanks for posting your history. I know a lot of people have misconceptions about Multicultural and Latino Orgs. I wish we had a Latina sorority on our campus for us to socialize with, but there really aren't that many Latinos on campus (That I know of on-campus.)
Old 06-14-2002, 03:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KappaTarzan
Kappa Delta Phi NAS!

the NAS stands for national affiliated sorority.. so we're not really up and coming, but alot of people don't really recognize us..

we have about 16 active chapters right now, as well as nationals, and a fraternity of brothers (not co-ed, two seperate entities). Most of of chapters are in upper new england, such as NH and Maine. My chapter, Kappa Upsilon, is the only active chapter in MA, although there have of course been other chapters which have gone dormant.
Old 06-14-2002, 07:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Serenity
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by KappaTarzan
Kappa Delta Phi NAS!

the NAS stands for national affiliated sorority.. so we're not really up and coming, but alot of people don't really recognize us..
We have about 16 active chapters right now, as well as nationals, and a fraternity of brothers (not co-ed, two seperate entities). Most of of chapters are in upper new england, such as NH and Maine.
Much success to your org, KappaTarzan!!

Quote:
Originally posted by NoShame_Gamma
Well, convention has come and gone and I am happy to say that our WONDERFUL FAMILY / SISTERHOOD has grown! We now have 14 Chapters and 1 Charter Colony (us!).

Serenity, what campus are you at? PM me, I'd like to chat!
NoShame_Gamma, congrats on GAO's expansion!!

Oh ~ I'm in an Grad/Professional Chapter now. I graduated from undergrad *ahem* some time ago.

I will PM you.

Quote:
Originally posted by Eirene_DGP
Serenity, thanks for posting your history. I know a lot of people have misconceptions about Multicultural and Latino Orgs. I wish we had a Latina sorority on our campus for us to socialize with, but there really aren't that many Latinos on campus (That I know of on-campus.)
The way LGLO's are expanding, you won't have to wait long before one will be on a campus near you. Thanks for the support.
Old 06-14-2002, 03:14 PM
GreekChat Member

I know what you mean!

Quote:
Originally posted by Eirene_DGP
... but there really aren't that many Latinos on campus (That I know of on-campus.)
Eirene_DGP,

Thanks for the congrats! I know what you mean about not many Latinos on campus. According to my University's stats, there are less than 600 Latinos on campus! Oh well, Gamma will be sure to represent, I'll tell you that much!

Obdulia (aka Obi, aka No Shame)
Old 06-14-2002, 06:13 PM
GreekChat Member

NoShame_Gamma, 600 Latinos on your campus!! That's not bad. My school probably has under 20. But since our school phased out a lot of the international programs due to funds, the international enrollment has gone down campus-wide so we have less diversity.
Old 06-15-2002, 07:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to HaDoKen
Cool FOCG: Sigma Rhomeo Incorporated

The Fraternal Order of Classy Gentlemen: Sigma Rhomeo Incorporated

http://www.mtsu.edu/~rhomeo

http://www.ou.edu/student/romeos

african american organization. Im out the loop but I just got back in, and Im not sure how many numbers we have
Old 09-18-2002, 11:52 AM

Multicultural Sorority

Omega Phi Chi Multicultural Sorority, INC.

7 Chapters

www.omegaphichi.org

Last edited by Enchantress; 09-18-2002 at 12:06 PM.
Old 09-20-2002, 08:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Also...

...Lambda Theta Nu Sorority, Inc.....
http://www.lambdathetanu.org

Founded as the first Latina/o Greek Letter Organization on the West Coast in 1986...the 3rd Latina sorority founded in the U.S....

Chapters at:

California State University, Chico
Colorado State University, Fort Collins
California State University, Fresno
University of California, Berkeley
University of California, Davis
California State University, Sacramento
Metropolitan State College, Denver, CO
California State University, Northridge
University of California, Los Angeles
University of Northern Colorado, Greeley
University of California, Riverside
University of California, Santa Barbara
University of California, San Diego
University of Nebraska, Omaha
California State University, Los Angeles
Our Lady of the Lake University
University of California, Irvine
University of Southern California
California State University, Sonoma
University of Texas, El Paso
Stanford University
Creighton University

It's great to see so many thriving organizations!!

Last edited by LatinaAlumna; 04-18-2004 at 01:27 PM.
Old 09-25-2002, 07:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Post UPDATE

Well Everybody,

The last time I posted, we are 14 Chapters and 1 Charter Colony. Well, I am proud to announce that we are currently finishing with our first PA class, which will be our Charter Line and will be going to Texas Tech Univ. in Lubbock, Texas to make our presentation to become the Pi Chapter of Gamma Alpha Omega Sorority, Inc.! We are all so excited! Once again, wish us luck and I'll keep you posted with our progress. Hey, it's only taken us 2 years

LatinaAlumna, it's nice to see more LGLO's being represented! My boyfriend's Fraternity (SLB) at UCI are big supporters of your Sorority, especially your UCR Chapter. However, I know now there's even a bigger support network. We have to keep supporting each other as well as representing. You have a wonderful organization, keep up the good work!

In unity,
Obi
www.gammaalphaomega.com

Last edited by NoShame_Gamma; 09-30-2002 at 02:27 PM.
Old 09-29-2002, 02:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile

No Shame Gamma:

Thanks for the support, and congratulations to you and your sisters! I'm sure that your chapter will get to work with some of our chapters in Northern Cali soon!

Are you going to NALFO in San Diego next weekend? I have a prior committment, otherwise I would go.
Old 09-30-2002, 02:31 PM
GreekChat Member

NALFO Conference

Latina Alumna,

Unfortunately I wont be attending the confernce this weekend. I know there are a couple Gamma's living in the LA area, but don't know if they're going either. My sisters and I had thought about going, but we had to pay for our convention (which is costing us a pretty penny). Oh well, maybe next year?????

-Obdulia