GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,287
1 members and 1,286 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 02-05-2010, 07:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
But again...let's not kid ourselves.
Sorry, forgot my air quotes - editing asap.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusteau View Post
Lets not act all shocked and innocent people. Almost every chapter everywhere bends, if not completely disregards, alcohol policy. It happens. I'm not saying its the right thing to do, and I'm certainly not saying you should talk about it on an internet message board, but there's no need to get sanctimonious.
First, let me say "thank you" to Psi U MC Vito for being better at explaining why I was shocked. That is exactly why I was wondering what would make him post his chapter's business on this site.

Second, Gusteau, as someone who was part of the Greek system at the #1 party school in the nation, I'm pretty sure that I realize certain fraternity chapters bend rules. I'm not that old, thank you.

I guess I must be out of the loop, though. I've seen people come on here and use little discretion when it comes to preparing for sorority/ fraternity rush (by giving up all of their info and then trash-talking chapters), people who outright talk about hazing that goes on in their specific chapters, and now a guy who is telling all of Greekchat that his chapter is in the process of breaking or bending rules that his HQ put in place. I guess I'm shocked that people no longer care.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
My campus allowed students who were of age to have alcohol in their dorms/apartments. I know that many Greek houses are dry, but I would cause a ruckus if I couldn't drink a beer in my dorm room if I wanted to.

That was the reason for my "yikes"
I yiked, too.

At my school the residence halls (dorms) were dry, even if you were 21, but the apartments were wet.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
I yiked, too.

At my school the residence halls (dorms) were dry, even if you were 21, but the apartments were wet.
At my alma mater, there are certain (primarily freshman/sophomore populated) dorms that are dry (no matter your age).

However, there are dorms in which you can drink if 21+. They're primarily junior/senior dorms. Space is limited in those though, and sometimes older peeps get stuck in a dry dorm.

This is why most people moved to apartments once they were able because you didn't have to worry about what dorm you were in.

All of the sorority houses were dry of course, so the most common pattern was to live-in during sophomore/junior year (if your chapted had a one year lease) and move into an apt. for junior year or senior year.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 02-05-2010 at 09:06 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
All 14 state owned PA universities are dry. However, the Greek houses are not on campus so as far as that's concerned it's a moot point. "Dry campus" just means you don't have a bar on campus or can't have alcohol in your dorm room.
We were allowed to have alcohol in our dorm room as long as we were 21. And if a person under the age of 21 lived with you, there could only be one open container in the room at one time.

@~/~~~~
Old 02-06-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
We were allowed to have alcohol in our dorm room as long as we were 21. And if a person under the age of 21 lived with you, there could only be one open container in the room at one time.
Penn State (and its various campi) isn't state owned - it's state affiliated. (Along w/ Pitt, Temple & Lincoln.) Subtle but important difference.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:29 PM
GreekChat Member

My chapter had a pretty big RM issue last year, so no chapter funds nor collected funds can be used to buy alcohol. We even altered party rotation here during Rush so that we were stuck with Delta Phi Epsilon and we could host a dry event together.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:46 PM
GreekChat Member

That comment is highly offensive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshsx1 View Post
My chapter had a pretty big RM issue last year, so no chapter funds nor collected funds can be used to buy alcohol. We even altered party rotation here during Rush so that we were stuck with Delta Phi Epsilon and we could host a dry event together.
While I am not a member of DPhieE, I find this post to be highly offensive. So much for Panhellenic and greek unity.

Just sayin'

As always,
Brutally*Honest
Old 02-06-2010, 01:59 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ Worst sockpuppet ever.

Old 02-06-2010, 08:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
^^^ Worst sockpuppet ever.
Wow. I'm always confused about what is going on. I rarely understand what certain letter phrases mean and it took me a while to actually get what IRL or IMHO meant.

I know that there is an issue with BA, but is Brutally Honest also a sock puppet? I need to come on here more.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by als463 View Post
Wow. I'm always confused about what is going on. I rarely understand what certain letter phrases mean and it took me a while to actually get what IRL or IMHO meant.

I know that there is an issue with BA, but is Brutally Honest also a sock puppet? I need to come on here more.
It's not BA. It's also really ironic that this particular sock is bemoaning the lack of "Greek unity."
Old 02-07-2010, 12:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutally*Honest View Post
While I am not a member of DPhieE, I find this post to be highly offensive. So much for Panhellenic and greek unity.

Just sayin'

As always,
Brutally*Honest
Yeah, because your GLO is so proud of you, nutty.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:37 PM

Quote:
It's not BA. It's also really ironic that this particular sock is bemoaning the lack of "Greek unity."
Seriously. Especially one who constantly brags about how elite her organization is.