GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,242
3 members and 1,239 guests
3DGator, FSUZeta, LaneSig

Old 10-14-2017, 12:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JonInKC
FAU Sigma Chi treasurer steals $18K from chapter

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/cr...7qwo0apMFfZ8K/

"Dalton became treasurer for Sigma Chi in May after the person formerly in that position stepped down, the report said. The former treasurer provided Dalton with a debit card that he was supposed to deactivate. Instead, Dalton used it and a second debit card to fraudulently withdraw $18,212.91, according to witnesses.

Dalton, a Boca Raton resident, admitted that he took the money to support his heroin addiction, but said he planned to pay it back, police said."

Heroin...so NF.

p a w e a since 1899
Old 10-15-2017, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator

And this is why I hate debit cards.

The treasurer should be 1) bonded (if you're smart) and 2) at least not a signer on the bank account. Checks should all require the signature of the President and another designated officer. I'm sure most of our organizations have or used to have those safeguards, but even HQs are getting in the game of accepting credit/debit card payments from chapters.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 10-15-2017, 11:09 PM

Wow.

Back when I was an active, somewhere around the Mesozoic Era, GLOs didn't have debit cards. My chapter had a checking account, and all checks that the chapter cut had to be signed by both the president and the treasurer. No one could just waltz up to an ATM or a teller window and withdraw a pile of cash.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Back in the late 1980s, we had the requirement that they had to be signed by two out of three of the Chairman of the Advisory Committee, chapter President and chapter Treasurer.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:51 PM

^ OK, apparently I was an active in the late Mesozoic Era. Four signatures for one check?? I didn't think banks were even set up for printing checks with four signature lines. Two, yes; four, where would you fit all the signature lines on something as small as a check??

(Of course, we're in different lanes here.)

Then again, I remember the days when checks were printed with a date line that read ___________, 19__. Changes can be made.

#getoffmylawn
Old 10-17-2017, 12:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
^ OK, apparently I was an active in the late Mesozoic Era. Four signatures for one check?? I didn't think banks were even set up for printing checks with four signature lines. Two, yes; four, where would you fit all the signature lines on something as small as a check??

(Of course, we're in different lanes here.)

Then again, I remember the days when checks were printed with a date line that read ___________, 19__. Changes can be made.

#getoffmylawn
Which of us above mentioned four signatures? I remember marking out 19 and replacing it with 20...
Old 10-17-2017, 09:08 AM

When I was chapter advisor, I had access to the accounts and would peruse them at least once a week (or every two weeks) to make sure there were no shenanigans with the money.

During homecoming season, the treasurer would go to the bank and buy gift cards with amounts on them. He would give these to the float chair so that the chair would be able to buy supplies without having to come and get a check or reimbursed every other day. However, the chair still had to account for all the purchases made with the gift card.

Side note: the brother in question apparently has a serious drug problem. I do hope that he is able to get help and overcome this issue. His stealing the money from the chapter is serious, but I hope he gets the help he needs.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 10-17-2017, 09:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Two signatures being required is pretty standard, even for other organizations I've been involved with (band boosters, scouts, Kiwanis). Debit cards are dangerous, albeit convenient when making large purchases.