GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator

Old 03-04-2003, 09:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Step show for unity

Why did they wait until after I graduated to do this? I would have loved it!

Taking a step for unity

By Jocelyn Robinson

Media Credit: Tyler Pelan
Sigma Kappa sorority members walk into DUC Theater as Jermaine Cox of Omega Psi Phi does push-ups before the Omegas opening act for the Unity Step Show. The Unity Step Show had both black and white Greek organizations participate last Thursday night.

Rhythm and attitude ruled the night at Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity's Unity Step Off competition.

At DUC Theater, white sorority and fraternity members spent Thursday evening stepping -- something typically done by black organizations.

"It's people of different cultures and backgrounds coming together," said Mark O'Brien, a graduate student from Belize who helped organize the show. "That was our number one goal."

The theater was packed as students waited for the show to start. Many were curious to see what the different organizations could do. Others came to support their friends who were performing.

The step show featured Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity, Sigma Kappa sorority, Alpha Omicron Pi sorority and Kappa Delta sorority competing against one another. Omega Psi Phi fraternity and Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority stepped in exhibition performances but weren't part of the competition.

The Pikes won the competition for the fraternities and the KDs for the sororities. The Sigma Kappas came in second.

Although some performers were nervous about being on stage, others couldn't wait to show what they could do.

"It was a huge adrenaline rush," said Horse Cave sophomore Alice Caldwell, a KD. "We strive to do our best, and we were out there ready to win."

The fraternities and sororities came up with their own moves and routines. Members of the black sororities and fraternities screened and critiqued the performances, telling the groups what they should add or take out, Nashville senior Brandie Resha said.

"They were wonderful and helped us out a lot," said Resha, a member of AOPi.

George Taylor, a Western alumnus from Hopkinsville, also helped organize the step off. He said he appreciated the generosity of organizations like AKA, Phi Beta Sigma fraternity and Delta Sigma Theta sorority, who helped critique performances.

"They lent steps of their own and put some spice into routines," Taylor said.

Louisville senior Diana Ray, an AKA, said the groups that she helped quickly picked up the moves they were taught.

"They had the energy and enthusiasm they needed, and they looked like they had fun," Ray said after the show.

Audience members cheered and clapped throughout each performance, giving several groups standing ovations.

Cave City senior Chris-Sean Wood, a Sigma, came to support the Sigma Kappas.

"It was a great show," he said. "I'm glad the Alphas put it together."

Reach Jocelyn Robinson at features@wkuherald.com.

Facebook
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-04-2003, 01:46 PM
GreekChat Member

What a great event. Living in the far far north has put me in step show withdrawls. I think that is a wonderful way to show greek unity and support.