GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 1,541
0 members and 1,541 guests
No Members online

Old 09-08-2002, 03:39 PM
GreekChat Member

As everyone else has said, you didn't do anything wrong. That chapter doesn't have the first idea of how to rush. Bad actives, bad, bad (whacking them across their hands with a big ruler) !

Stay open to snap bidding or COBing. And it sounds like Truman has a very strong local system, so look at those groups. You may just find your home there. Lots of those girls may have had similar experiences to what you had and know how to treat rushees properly. And I agree with Violets -- I just love the name Prim Roses!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-08-2002, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator

Oooh, I vote for Prim Roses too! How can you resist that name?

Keep trying, TBSG--you sound like the kind of woman we want in the Greek system.
Old 09-08-2002, 04:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Locals

It certainly sounds like on a campus level, there is very little difference between a local and a national at Truman. But remember, locals have fewer rules ;-).

Seriously, though, nationals can't have over-night formals. Most of us can't drink at fraternities. Some can't even hang out at fraternities that aren't totally dry. Anyway, my point is, they definately have their pros.
Old 09-08-2002, 06:13 PM
GreekChat Member

!!!

I am so sorry to hear what happened to you! That is so unfair and ridiculous! Definitely look into the local scene, as a PNM myself I know I'd be proud to call you a sister! :::hugs:::
Old 09-08-2002, 06:55 PM
GreekChat Member

TBSG-

I am so sorry to hear what happened to you. I hope that you will keep your mind open to what the other gals on here are talking about (locals, COBing)... but I want to put my $.02 in on Alpha Phi Omega. True, it may not be the type of "sisterhood" you were looking for (female members aren't even called sisters, everyone's a brother), but I have made some of the closest and truest friendships and had some of the greatest experiences of my lifetime with APO. Please consider us as an option!

GOOD LUCK IN WHATEVER YOU DO!!!

***HUGS***

Nicole
Old 09-08-2002, 06:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KDHoney
I also forgot to mention earlier not to discount local sororities...I was in a local for 2 years before we became nationally affiliated last fall. Both being local and being national have been great experiences, so make sure to check out the local groups on your campus!
Old 09-08-2002, 06:59 PM
GreekChat Member

As a member of Truman's greek life I would just like to say that I am really appalled at the comments you have made about the chapters here. Just because one person did not make it through recruitment does not mean we have poor rushing skills, that we don't know what we are missing or any of the comments I have heard here.

As for being in a group with another PNM when there were other actives, let me tell you that it all works in a system and those sisters might have been busy with skits even if they did not look like it. Doubling up is normal and usually the active knows that she will have to double up. It is not all the actives fault. Not to put down TBSG, but you have not meet her and each chapter did and decided that maybe she was not the best fit. Maybe she did nothing wrong but we did not either.

Sorry to rant on here but don't knock things you don't know a thing about. Besides, don't you initiated members of your respective sororities tell me that you have never made a mistake or dropped a PNM. We don't get sore when PNMS drop us for other groups that might be better for them. It is normal and expected, otherwise all the sororities would just initiate anyone who walked in the door!

I understand your position TBSG but don't blame us completly for how things turned out. As with all else in life, things have a reason for working out the way that they do.
Old 09-08-2002, 08:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Letting one PNM dominate the conversation while ignoring the other one when you double up is demonstrating poor rush skills. Especially when the other one is trying to ask sincere questions about your sorority. More than poor rush skills, it is just plain rude. So is criticizing a girl who's still licking her wounds from a bad rush experience. This thread is not meant to put down TBSG. It is to support her, whether she goes Greek or not.
Old 09-08-2002, 08:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

well said, silverblue
Old 09-08-2002, 08:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Recruitment trouble

>>I understand your position TBSG but don't blame us completly for how things turned out. As with all else in life, things have a reason for working out the way that they do.<<

I may have missed something, but other than her observation that she felt very left out at the last party she attended, and unable to really put her best foot forward, I don't think that TBSG WAS blaming you or anyone else for how things turned out. She was very enthusiastic and optimistic about recruitment and is understandably disappointed. "Things have a reason for working out the way they do" is little comfort at a time like this.
Sorry, but IMHO, you do not get to use her rush thread to chastise her for feeling bad.

Anna
Old 09-08-2002, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by anniesigkap
As a member of Truman's greek life I would just like to say that I am really appalled at the comments you have made about the chapters here. Just because one person did not make it through recruitment does not mean we have poor rushing skills, that we don't know what we are missing or any of the comments I have heard here.

As for being in a group with another PNM when there were other actives, let me tell you that it all works in a system and those sisters might have been busy with skits even if they did not look like it. Doubling up is normal and usually the active knows that she will have to double up. It is not all the actives fault. Not to put down TBSG, but you have not meet her and each chapter did and decided that maybe she was not the best fit. Maybe she did nothing wrong but we did not either.

Sorry to rant on here but don't knock things you don't know a thing about. Besides, don't you initiated members of your respective sororities tell me that you have never made a mistake or dropped a PNM. We don't get sore when PNMS drop us for other groups that might be better for them. It is normal and expected, otherwise all the sororities would just initiate anyone who walked in the door!

I understand your position TBSG but don't blame us completly for how things turned out. As with all else in life, things have a reason for working out the way that they do.

The Woman Doth Protest too Much, Methinks ....oops, sorry, didn't mean to break into Shakespeare here! lol

Annie, is it your sorority TBSB is talking about? If so, I would hope that you would take our sincere criticisms of the chapter's rushing skills (or heinous lack thereof) and try and put them to good use next semester so that some other rushee isn't put in the uncomfortable position TBSB was.

Before you get your panties in a twist, please know that I'm not knocking things I know nothing about. I've been participating in rush since you were in about second grade, including teaching chapters how to do it correctly. Soooo, I know what I'm talking about.

We're not saying those sisters were horrible people, we're saying they were horrible rushers. It's pretty obvious during rush when you scan the room what conversations are being dominated by one rushee or are otherwise laying an egg. That's why we have floaters.

If any truly interested, eager rushee leaves a sorority house feeling like crap, THE SISTERS DID A POOR JOB . Period. My collegiate chapter could have been rushing a triple legacy at our biggest rival, but believe me when I say I can guarantee that she would have not left the house feeling like her questions weren't answered or we weren't interested in making her feel comfortable.

Someone is a guest in your home; you make them feel welcome. It's called "common courtesy".

How dare you kick someone when she's down? That's just plain rude.

Last edited by KillarneyRose; 09-08-2002 at 08:44 PM.
Old 09-08-2002, 09:12 PM

I don't even believe this...

I thought this was TBSG's recruitment thread. I thought the point of recruitment threads was to support and encourage the GreekChat PNMs during the process. I thought we were supposed to cheer them on when they were happy. I thought we were to sympathize with them if things didn't go the way they wanted. It's about support, not about knocking them.

TBSG, I hate that this has happened to you. It should not have happened because NO PNM should ever leave a party feeling that no one wanted them there. If chapters are prepared to double up, every sister would know how to arrange things so one person doesn't block out another. Every sister would know how to handle a monopolized, possibly off-topic, conversation. Every sister would be prepared to talk with two PNMs and make sure that both feel welcome. Every sister would be ready to ensure that all questions were both appreciated and answered to the best of their ability. It sounded as if TBSG wasn't afforded those common courtesies in this situation. If this is indeed the case then I would describe this as an example of poor rushing skills.

I'd also hazard a guess that many of the replies supporting TBSG have been from people with anywhere from one semester to 20+ years of recruitment and sorority experience. I'd say that qualifies in the "knowing what we are talking about" category. No, we may not really know what happened during TBSG's party. We don't even know which single chapter this was. It doesn't mean that all sororities on this campus are lousy rushers. It doesn't mean that this sorority did or didn't make the best decision based on the information they had. We don't know that. But we do know when it sounds like things were not handled respectfully or courteously. This one qualifies.

Christin
Old 09-08-2002, 09:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Amen, Tracy and Christin!

Tracy, you always have such a way of saying things!

I agree with both of you 100%.

As I said on the other thread about this, I applaud TBSG for her good manners and being a lady when not naming the house she was uncomfortable at! That speaks very highly of her. I'm glad that at least one party in this situation has good manners.

Christin is absolutley correct when she stated what this thread is for. We're here for SUPPORT! For PNMs, and for each other.
Old 09-08-2002, 09:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
Traci! Are you implying that anniesigkap is sexually promiscious or just taking Shakespeare out of context? lol. I just couldn't resist the urge to tease you.

But I agree AnnieSigKap earns my Silly Rabbit, Trix are for kids! award for a silly post.

And hey, those sisters are horrible people. Bad people.

Quote:
We're not saying those sisters were horrible people, we're saying they were horrible rushers. It's pretty obvious during rush when you scan the room what conversations are being dominated by one rushee or are otherwise laying an egg. That's why we have floaters.

If any truly interested, eager rushee leaves a sorority house feeling like crap, THE SISTERS DID A POOR JOB . Period. My collegiate chapter could have been rushing a triple legacy at our biggest rival, but believe me when I say I can guarantee that she would have not left the house feeling like her questions weren't answered or we weren't interested in making her feel comfortable.

Someone is a guest in your home; you make them feel welcome. It's called "common courtesy".

How dare you kick someone when she's down? That's just plain rude. [/B]

Last edited by James; 09-08-2002 at 10:14 PM.
Old 09-08-2002, 09:43 PM
GreekChat Member

James, you're just begging to be flamed by those who don't know or understand the way of your posts. Not that I understand totally, but at least partially.