GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life > Introductions

Introductions New to GreekChat? This is where you can introduce yourself to the GreekChat community.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,393
3 members and 1,390 guests
Cookiez17, g41965, JayhawkAOII

Old 08-24-2013, 01:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Triple Legacy released at pref?

I have a question about a young woman who recently went through recruitment and I was wondering if anyone had a theory on why she was released? The girl is a triple legacy and her mom is very active in panhellenic. The mom's house kept her through the entire week...then didn't invite her to pref! My friend and her daughter are obviously devastated.

Any theories? It goes without saying that she is beautiful, has a high gpa, is an incoming Freshman, etc.

Thank you for any insight!!!

Last edited by gjcowin; 08-24-2013 at 01:10 PM.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

We've heard many similar stories. Rarely does anyone find out why the girl was released.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjcowin View Post
It goes without saying that she is beautiful, has a high gpa, is an incoming Freshman, etc.
Why would any of that go without saying?
Old 08-24-2013, 01:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Why would any of that go without saying?
To take it out of the equation. There's always the possibility that she ate with her feet though!
Old 08-24-2013, 01:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Membership selection is private to each chapter/sorority.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 08-24-2013, 02:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
To take it out of the equation. There's always the possibility that she ate with her feet though!
Taking it out of the equation is one thing.. implying that we obviously know this already is another.

And no one here can tell you why she didn't receive a bid. We know nothing of her situation. And even if we sat right next to her throughout recruitment, we still couldn't say why the chapters dropped her.

If she truly wants to be Greek, she'll need to try again. She could work on her conversation skills and get more involved on campus. She can analyze what MIGHT have been the reasons she was dropped and work on those things, but she'll never know for sure. Perhaps she just slipped through the cracks, like a few PNMs do.

I know it's hard right now, but all she can do is pick herself up, dust herself off, and put her best foot forward the next time around.

@~/~~~~
Old 08-24-2013, 02:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Fair enough, but . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
Taking it out of the equation is one thing.. implying that we obviously know this already is another.
It's not implying it, it's stating it. "It goes without saying" means "obviously," "naturally" or "of course"— it doesn't need to be said because everyone already knows it. Which is why seeing it tied to "she's beautiful" or "has a high GPA" in a question like his raises flags or me.
Old 08-24-2013, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Maybe she had bad breath or a booger in her nose. Maybe she flirted with a sister's boyfriend. We can't tell you because we weren't there. The ones that were there can't tell you either. Whatever it was, there were girls they liked better.

I'm sorry it happened. I know how disappointing it can be getting dropped by your legacy sorority.
Old 08-24-2013, 03:47 PM

Did she get dropped from all chapters or is there just curiosity of how a triple legacy could be dropped before pref?

You know who you should ask? Her mom. She wasn't in MS either but she should have access to her sorority's legacy rules.

Some theories based on no evidence what so ever:
1) She flat out told the chapter she didn't want to be there and was rushing to make her mom happy. Also, she's not really sad she got dropped.

2) She was rude as hell to the sisters.

3) She is an undercover slut and slept with half of fraternity row.

4) She's dull, dull, dull and the chapter is anything but dull.

5) She's super awesome and the chapter has low self confidence and thought there was no way they'd get her so save the Pref invite for a girl they have a chance at getting.

Last edited by SoCalGirl; 08-24-2013 at 08:07 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-24-2013, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator

Had she been invited to her legacy house, they would have had to place her on the bid list according to their national rules.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Honestly, does mom REALLY want to know the hurtful details about why her chapter cut her daughter? There is nothing but trouble to be had. Will it make her feel better if she finds out the half the chapter thought her daughter was a big nerd or had bad teeth or wasn't quite pretty enough or was to haughty or was a bitch? All this will do is bring more heartache. Bottom line, the chapter felt strongly enough that a TRIPLE legacy wasn't a fit for them that they were able to release her before prefs (likely after convincing alumnae at a regional level). Chapters make membership decisions. Period. Little legacy hopefully has other options for pref and mom has enough sense to help her through is tough time.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 08-24-2013, 09:49 PM
GreekChat Member

I was cut from my legacy chapter because they didn't think I would be an enthusiastic member. Two things occur to me whenever I think about that 1-WHAT EV and 2-that may have been an indictment of my sister's involvement, not my own potential.

But I do think if a triple legacy was being cut, it wouldn't be as benign as that, and therefore the potential for seriously hurt feelings exists if the truth were to get out. Best to let it go and move on to other opportunities. If she has had a bad rush overall, then maybe she can spend this year working on her issues and try again next year or even in the spring.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post

And no one here can tell you why she didn't receive a bid. We know nothing of her situation. And even if we sat right next to her throughout recruitment, we still couldn't say why the chapters dropped her.

If she truly wants to be Greek, she'll need to try again. She could work on her conversation skills and get more involved on campus. She can analyze what MIGHT have been the reasons she was dropped and work on those things, but she'll never know for sure. Perhaps she just slipped through the cracks, like a few PNMs do.

I know it's hard right now, but all she can do is pick herself up, dust herself off, and put her best foot forward the next time around.
I agree with everything you said except this.

In my opinion, I doubt that a triple legacy would slip through the cracks. My theory (based on basically no evidence or no idea whatsoever meaning it has very little value) is that they gave her the benefit and courtesy invites that legacies get, but in the end it just wasn't a fit. This would explain the invites all the way up to, but not including pref.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGirl View Post
Did she get dropped from all chapters or is there just curiosity of how a triple legacy could be dropped before pref?

You know who you should ask? Her mom. She wasn't in MS either but she should have access to her sorority's legacy rules.

Some theories based on no evidence what so ever:
1) She flat out told the chapter she didn't want to be there and was rushing to make her mom happy. Also, she's not really sad she got dropped.

2) She was rude as hell to the sisters.

3) She is an undercover slut and slept with half of fraternity row.

4) She's dull, dull, dull and the chapter is anything but dull.

5) She's super awesome and the chapter has low self confidence and thought there was no way they'd get her so save the Pref invite for a girl they have a chance at getting.
I'm betting #1 or #3, strongly leaning toward #1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
Had she been invited to her legacy house, they would have had to place her on the bid list according to their national rules.
This is not true for every sorority.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post

This is not true for every sorority.
I think she worded it to account for all sororities. Bid list doesn't necessarily mean "first bid list".