GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,394
2 members and 1,392 guests
chironthearcher

Old 05-14-2012, 01:26 PM

Current trend I'm seeing:

Couples who maybe have had a small wedding for a number of reasons (less than 5 years ago) renewing their vows and having a "do over" wedding complete with gifts.

Other trends noted:

*Filmed and photographed proposals. Complete with styled photoshoot afterward.

*Styled engagement shoots. Ex: Vintage camera themed, vintage car themed, etc.

*Dress shopping shoots.

*Pre-wedding maids photoshoot.

*Day After wedding shoot.

*Anniversary pics (a la engagement pics but on your first anniversary.)

Lakers Nation.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-14-2012, 01:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Current trend I'm seeing:

Couples who maybe have had a small wedding for a number of reasons (less than 5 years ago) renewing their vows and having a "do over" wedding complete with gifts.

Other trends noted:

*Dress shopping shoots.

I wonder if this is due to the increase in quality affordable cameras that makes anyone a fauxtographer that can place a Groupon ad....I mean I must see at least two photographer Groupons/LivingSocials at all times.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Or instagram too. I swear everyone takes pictures of the stupidest things.

Also, never understood why people put super edited/photoshopped pictures of themselves on Facebook. I understand if they are professional photos that have been edited, but why put pictures of you and your bf in hearts? You look like you are in middle school.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 05-14-2012, 04:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I have a lot of thoughts on "do over" weddings, but they are not kind ones, so I'll keep them to myself
We're having a small wedding because a) it's more our style and b) plan the wedding you can afford is our motto.

Maybe it's because I am in the midst of planning a wedding, but I really am seeing how much of an industry that bridal has become. A lot of the above mentioned things aren't really necessities, but someone has convinced brides and grooms (but mostly brides, to be honest) that the NEED to have all of the extras.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:55 PM
GreekChat Member

I found this article today entitled " What to do if your maid of honor is a cheapskate".
Here's a small selection: "But as a bride, you have a right to expect certain things from your wedding party if you do decide to have one. And it's not going to be easy to keep your temper if your MoH tells you that she can't afford to go to Cancun for your bachelorette while she's rocking brand-new Prada shoes. Especially if you blew part of your student loan money to cover that Vera Wang bridesmaid dress that she couldn't live without for her wedding, and you ate Ramen noodles for six months afterward to pay for it."

Talk about entitlement.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:09 PM

^^^^The bridal entitlement factor is probably the #1 reason why I won't go into weddings full-time. I can't deal.

Something else to think about: Everyone is expecting so much more of maids and family lately in light of the industry push to make your wedding like, a multi-event extravaganza.

Ex: I see a lot of clients with the planning co. I work with having an engagement party, maid's tea, showers for every subset of friends (co-workers, church, family, college friends), a bachelorette party, and a wedding weekend complete with a welcome dinner for out of town guests, rehearsal dinner, wedding, afterparty, and send-off brunch.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 05-15-2012 at 02:13 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
^^^^The bridal entitlement factor is probably the #1 reason why I won't go into weddings full-time. I can't deal.

Something else to think about: Everyone is expecting so much more of maids and family lately in light of the industry push to make your wedding like, a multi-event extravaganza.

Ex: I see a lot of clients with the planning co. I work with having an engagement party, maid's tea, showers for every subset of friends (co-workers, church, family, college friends), a bachelorette party, and a wedding weekend complete with a welcome dinner for out of town guests, rehearsal dinner, wedding, afterparty, and send-off brunch.
I think part of it is the planning guides and magazines. They make it seem like you DESERVE all of these things and your wedding is a failure and disappointment if you don't. Not only do you have to have all these parties, but you can't cut corners on anything (i.e. If you don't shell out $150/head for the welcome dinner, your wedding will fail.)

I can't judge too much because we're doing a fair number of those extra parties, but we're personally footing the cost for everything outside of the one shower I am having and possibly the bachelor/ette parties.

Consequently, we're doing pretty affordable versions of whatever we have (like a Margarita and Manicure party for my Maid's luncheon, rather than a fancy luncheon that we can't afford). The majority of my friends and maids are in medical school/grad school and we know how tight money is.

-----
On a side note, I mailed these out today and I'm kind of pleased with how they turned out. I found them online, but they were like between $8 and 10 a cookie, so I just made them myself.

LET'S GO BIG RED!
Let me teach you how to Bucky!
Old 05-15-2012, 09:42 PM
GreekChat Member

^ Adorable!
Old 05-15-2012, 11:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Love the cookie idea I think it means more that you made them yourself, honestly. It would to me anyway.

Thanks lovespink for reminding me to send the response cards for the two weddings I have in June!

Hypo and I decided that I will attend that "teacher" wedding solo.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:17 PM
GreekChat Member

What do you say when someone is in an awful relationship tells you they got engaged this week and are getting married tomorrow? This couple is terrible together. They fight constantly, break up every couple months and are just a major mess. They should not be married, even if they do have a child together (who is 6 or 7 now!). OMG.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:30 PM
GreekChat Member

^^ Send a sympathy card with no check inside?

My husband and I received a wedding invitation today from a neighbor. Her son is getting married in late June. The only RSVP option was on a weddingwire.com website. When I tried to RSVP, my name didn't come up on the guest list. ?? I tried seaching my first name only, my last name only, my husband's first name only, both of our first and last names...nothing! There was also no phone number on the invitation. I know I can easily walk over to my neighbor's home to let her know we'll be coming, but I would be super-frustrated if I was out-of-town or an acquaintance.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DreamfulSpirit
I am 3 weeks until my first anniversary! This year sure has gone by fast!

Now I'm looking for ideas for an anniversary gift. First year is traditionally paper...any ideas?!?!
Old 05-20-2012, 10:58 PM
GreekChat Member

What about a scrapbook showing your first year together? Scrapbook = paper
Old 05-20-2012, 11:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
My wedding shower was today! My parents, godmother, cousins, in-laws and close family friends all put it together. It was PHENOMENAL and I had such a great time. My fiance and I are so blessed to have such wonderful family and friends
Old 05-21-2012, 01:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Other trends noted:

*Dress shopping shoots.

My fiancé's proposal to me was filmed and photographed. But, it (accidentally) ended up being a lot more public than he intended. He had specifically asked my best friend/maid of honor to photograph it stealthily, after I had mentioned that I thought it would be extra-special to have photos of it, particularly taken by her. The video was a surprise and shot on a cell phone- but I watch it at least once a week. For us, it ended up being a very loving expression of our friends and family surrounding us as he proposed- but if it's very professionally styled, I get kind of uncomfortable about it.

The rest, in my opinion- overkill. Particularly the maids and dress shopping shoots.

"Together, Let Us Seek the Heights"

I <3 My KΣ