GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,420
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, abryanswftz6979
» Online Users: 2,793
0 members and 2,793 guests
No Members online

Old 04-15-2003, 03:09 PM

Question Marriage

Married?
Why did you get married?

Single?
Why do you want to get married?
Do not want to marry? Why?

Last edited by shopgirl; 04-15-2003 at 03:11 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-15-2003, 04:10 PM
GreekChat Member

I got married because my husband is Catholic and we couldn't live together. I wasn't about to live at my grandparents house after graduation (to be near him) or live on campus in grad housing! But we'd been together since high school, so why not get married? I know some people struggle with the decision, but it was an obvious one for us. I just wish I had waited a month or two. Planning a wedding while in school is not easy!
Old 04-15-2003, 04:20 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm single becaue I am too young to be married, and I haven't met anyone who has struck my fancy enough to want to be with them forever.
Old 04-15-2003, 04:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Im 38, no wife, no kids, no hurry for either. That doesn't mean I'm afraid of commitment, having seen and experienced what happens when people get married too young (my folks divorced when I was 2; my mom never remarried and it took my dad two more tries before he settled down with wife #4) or get married or have families for all the wrong reasons. Eventually I will find the one girl I can call my wife and start a family, but it's not a high priority right now.

Alpha Alpha (University of Oklahoma) Chapter, #814, 1984
Old 04-15-2003, 05:14 PM

My wife bought a wedding gown and reserved the church and asked if I was going to show up...

I did.

Actually, we had intended to marry anyway, but she hadn't been able to tie me to a date.

Her tactic was very effective. We've been married for 33 years.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 04-15-2003, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

Single, 23 and enjoying that for the moment. Eventually I'll get married if the situation presents itself. If not that's fine also.

No rush.. no need.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 04-15-2003, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DeltAlum
My wife bought a wedding gown and reserved the church and asked if I was going to show up...

I did.

Actually, we had intended to marry anyway, but she hadn't been able to tie me to a date.

Her tactic was very effective. We've been married for 33 years.
aaawww, that is so cute...and funny!
Old 04-15-2003, 06:00 PM

Why did I get married? Because we wanted to, and we could

It's hard to be married. We've dealt with some horrific things, and shared some of the greatest things ever. If I could make the choice again, I'd still marry him because I love him. He's a great guy, a fabulous dad, my biggest cheerleader and support, and he still loves me although I can be impossible to live with. He also puts up with my sorority work and my lifelong crush on Paul McCartney

We must be doing something right, because almost 15 years and 3 children later, we're still together. I like it like that.

Christin
Old 04-15-2003, 06:27 PM

I love my husband, and I knew almost from the beginning that I wanted to spend the rest of my life with him and be the mother of his children. We could have done that by just living together, but that seems so temporary - we wanted to make the commitment - plus, whether we like it or not, there's a stigma to being born out of wedlock that we didn't want to subject our kids to.

(Plus, I wanted an excuse to wear a poofy white dress )
Old 04-15-2003, 06:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to OUlioness01
I'm single with no plans to get married for the next 5 years at least, but when i do get married It will be because I feel like if you're gonig to spend the rest of your life with someone than you should get married. I don't really like the idea of living together without a marriage, at least not for an extended period of time.
Old 04-15-2003, 07:05 PM
GreekChat Member

I am not opposed to the idea of marriage.I am just not sure it is the right thing for me. Every time I think I might want the companionship of a spouse,I go hang out with my married friends and the mood passes quickly. When I look at my coupled friends,I wonder how many of them are really happy. They say they are but I see how they act and I question whether they really are.I know that sounds cynical but I enjoy being single. It isn't because I can go out and screw around,it is because I can do whatever I want when I want.I like the independance of it.So if I ever do get married,I know it will have to be to someone who travels alot because I won't want them under my feet all the time.That applies to almost anyone not just a spouse.The only exception is my small niece who lives with me.She is the coolest person I know.
Old 04-15-2003, 10:26 PM
GreekChat Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by midwesterngirl
[B]I am not opposed to the idea of marriage.I am just not sure it is the right thing for me. Every time I think I might want the companionship of a spouse,I go hang out with my married friends and the mood passes quickly. When I look at my coupled friends,I wonder how many of them are really happy. They say they are but I see how they act and I question whether they really are.

I think that some people get married for the wrong reasons. In my opinion, you should know when you want to get married. There should be no cold feet or forcing someone to commit. One should get married to their best friend, a person that they feel they will still like and love and respect 50 years from now. And I've seen a lot of people get married who don't even act like they like each other now, and that's not right.

Also, I think people put *way* too much importance on looks. I mean, it's very important to be attracted to your spouce, but does he/she really need to look like a model? I can't believe how much importance my friends put on that.
Old 04-16-2003, 10:35 AM
GreekChat Member

I am still single...never been proposed to and I don't think it will happen for a year or so. I do want to get married before I turn 30, but at the same time, I am not rushing anything in my life. I have come to realize that things will happen when they happen, and there is nothing you can do until then.

I also agree that many people rush into marriage for the wrong reasons. I definately know that there are some people who are genuinely happy and want to get married. But I also think that there are people who do it just to jump on the bandwagon and look cool. My time will come...and I will wait for it!!!
Old 04-16-2003, 12:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to swissmiss04
I want to get married 'cause I love him I feel that we have such a kinship and I have more security than I've ever had.
One of my best friends spent her first year of college at an ultra conservative Church of Christ college. The administration basically forbid mingling of the sexes in a non-public place. And no one was allowed to live off campus unless they were married. The attitude there was "Well, if I can't have sex w/o marriage, I'll just get married." There are tons of 18 and 19 year old married people in Searcy, AR. One of her friends got married just to have sex (not necessarily b/c of love). Ironically, she's yet to have an orgasm. LOL. So sad.
Old 04-16-2003, 01:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Look over your shoulder, I could be right behind ya!
I want to get married...I had a very good example of marriage growing up. My parents hada wonderful partnership, were best friends, and very supportive of each other's endeavors. I want to make a home with someone, take care of someone's needs and have someone want to take care of mine. I love being part of a couple and having a "partner in crime" so to speak. I also look forward to being part of another family. I love learning more about people and traditions and I want to be part of another family's traditions. I also want to have my own little family and home to call my own. There are many other benefits and challenges I'm sure I haven't thought about or am not aware of, but I cannot wait to find them out...No one needs to tell me that marriage isn't perfect. But I've been through enough in my life to know that it's worth the challenge to have someone wonderful by your side for the rest of it...